Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Question: do you guys want to be in the SEC championship game?

Let’s just say we are 11-1 at end of regular season. Would you rather play another sure playoff team in a SEC championship game, or get the extra week to recover after a 12 game season. I guess you’d get an extra week off compared to teams 5-12 if you won the SEC championship. If you lost, you could theoretically have an extra game than the team you are playing in the first round of the playoffs has to play. I can see a scenario where you lose SEC Championship and play the third place Big 10 team (or even 3rd SEC team) in first round of playoffs.

I can even see a scenario where the SEC champ game is a blowout and the loser drops below the 3rd place SEC team in the playoff seeding

Let’s just say we are 11-1 at end of regular season. Would you rather play another sure playoff team in a SEC championship game, or get the extra week to recover after a 12 game season. I guess you’d get an extra week off compared to teams 5-12 if you won the SEC championship. If you lost, you could theoretically have an extra game than the team you are playing in the first round of the playoffs has to play. I can see a scenario where you lose SEC Championship and play the third place Big 10 team (or even 3rd SEC team) in first round of playoffs.

I can even see a scenario where the SEC champ game is a blowout and the loser drops below the 3rd place SEC team in the playoff seeding
I'm not convinced either position is advantageous.

Talking odds of becoming the SEC champ (as the underdog - assumed, as we aren't 12-0 here) vs not playing in ATL at all.

I'd have to think the +/- will come down to the particular team vs the particular opponent.

For me, if you go to the SEC Championship, you better win it. Win it and get a bye in the playoff. Lose, you might not make the playoff or you play an away playoff game. Skip the Championship and you have a chance to host a playoff game maybe.

It just depends on how they are going to treat the loser of the championship games. If losing that game puts you on the fringe of the playoffs then it’s not worth playing in in my opinion. I just don’t know how they’re going to treat the losers.

Yes I want to be the SEC champs. That means you get the first round bye.

Yes. I want to win. Every game.

For me, if you go to the SEC Championship, you better win it. Win it and get a bye in the playoff. Lose, you might not make the playoff or you play an away playoff game. Skip the Championship and you have a chance to host a playoff game maybe.

It just depends on how they are going to treat the loser of the championship games. If losing that game puts you on the fringe of the playoffs then it’s not worth playing in in my opinion. I just don’t know how they’re going to treat the losers.
Loser gets the 5 spot likely which will be the easiest play in. Play the teams and build confidence.

VN Store

Back