Recruiting Football Talk VIII

And 1992! Majors somehow lost to a 3 win Arkansas team. Win that and we play Bama in the first ever SEC title game.

GAWD we have some annoyingly dumb losses in our history

NOT THIS WEEKEND DAMNIT
Lost to South Carolina that year also. Both Arkansas and SC were in their first year of SEC.

That’s sad. They’re overwhelmed. The area is not prepared for damage like this. Trying to stay efficient so those who can provide the most help have a clear path to do so. Tough spot to be in given the lack of roads in the area, damage to the roads that were/are there, and other lost resources/infrastructure. Hope that person doesn’t choose to not donate and instead follows the instructions for how to best deliver what aid they can.

That’s sad. They’re overwhelmed. The area is not prepared for damage like this. Trying to stay efficient so those who can provide the most help have a clear path to do so. Tough spot to be in given the lack of roads in the area, damage to the roads that were/are there, and other lost resources/infrastructure. Hope that person doesn’t choose to not donate and instead follows the instructions for how to best deliver what aid they can.
Agreed, get your ego out of the way.

The professionals dont want to have to save your sorry asses (folks not following directions) or those who get scammed.

Reactions: Glitch and COOKEVOL
I can be a little much! 😅 Don’t remember having a previous issue with VolGeorge, but I don’t keep a diary on my interactions on here…wouldn’t change my methodology one iota if I did. I highly encourage the use of the ignore feature to tailor one’s VN experience. I’m on some of posters I like and respect and have at least a couple who I thought I liked but noticed a like or comment that trashed me. Why put up with people you don’t trust or get a positive experience from? I hope never to naturally go too far with posters like you and InVol…but no promises. 😉
It takes a whole lot for me to ignore someone on here. Plus, you are one of the posters that was here when I arrived on the scene and always liked your..."posting style". 😆

He's flipping out but they're requesting you not send it to TEMA. TEMA isn't in the distribution phase. They're still in rescue and recover phase. There are others better suited to getting supplies to survivors right now. People are understandably upset and a lot of us are feeling helpless but take a deep breath. Don't quit.

It was the same with the tornado that hit here in 2020. Lots of volunteers turned away due to safety concerns.

Reactions: vol_in_ga
East TN:

West NC:

He's flipping out but they're requesting you not send it to TEMA. TEMA isn't in the distribution phase. They're still in rescue and recover phase. There are others better suited to getting supplies to survivors right now. People are understandably upset and a lot of us are feeling helpless but take a deep breath. Don't quit.
He sounds like a grown up, entitled child.

Best response would be no response. Just keep doing what you're doing.

Word from USFS is Noli rose over 20 feet in 6 hours, 8 feet above the highest ever recorded, all way back to 1913 when Dam was built

View attachment 682069
View attachment 682070
The train trestle in Gorge has different stages spray painted (swatches) on the bridge. Stage 1-4. Stage 4 is above the train tracks. Ive seen tires above the Sycamores from devastating flooding back in 2010's. This dwarfed that. Think about that, water above the tree line.

Helene measured over 62 ft. high

I think we actually built better on some things when we didn't have it all mathed out. What I mean is if I give you an exact measurement you'll meet it. If I tell you to build this to stop a flood but I don't give you any measurements, you'll go bigger than you think you need just to be safe.

Reactions: bullet20 and StoVol
I think we actually built better on some things when we didn't have it all mathed out. What I mean is if I give you an exact measurement you'll meet it. If I tell you to build this to stop a flood but I don't give you any measurements, you'll go bigger than you think you need just to be safe.
The TVA is slow, archaic. They dont build things just to build them. Severely under funded, and unable to control their own books.

Sound familiar?

That said, when they do something. They do it. Look at story if history of Wilbur Dam, look at South Holston, and Douglas Dams.

Perfect example is Boone Dam, researching how they reaolved that issue. Knew it was a problem for decades. They literally took 7-8 years to study, engineering a new method to fix, implement, test, and finally stage the reservoir back up.

Fascinating. Also, over engineered for obvious reasons.

I am thankful we have them. Certainly beats alternative, Duke Energy or privately run Dams. Or mother nature.

Last edited:
The TVA is slow, archaic. They dont build things just to build them. Severely under funded, and unable to control their own books.

Sound familiar?

That said, when they do something. They do it. Look at story if history of Wilbur Dam, look at South Holston, and Douglas Dams.

Perfect example is Boone Dam, researching how they reaolved that issue. Knew it was a problem for decades. They literally took 7-8 years to study, engineering a new method to fix, implement, test, and finally stage the reservoir back up.

Fascinating. Also, over engineered for obvious reasons.

I am thankful we have them. Certainly beats alternative, Duke Energy or privately run Dams.

There's a lot of myth surrounding TVA. I remember talking about TVA taking land as a kid (just repeating what everyone always claimed) and my grandmother looked at me and said, ''no, child, daddy made a lot of money selling that to TVA. It was useless land at that point."

In truth, all of East, TN is fortunate the TVA came along when it did. History would've turned out differently if it hadn't. Not just electrifying the region either or the massive improvements to flood control. Take the atom bomb... Oak Ridge was using more power than Manhattan. Where oh where did that power come from?

TVA has some serious issues approaching. Most dams were built to last 80-100 years and will be due to be replaced. One can not fathom the money and time needed, but hundreds of billions or even a trillion would not be out of the question, and take decades. Being self funded, electricity rates are going to sky rocket.

And 1992! Majors somehow lost to a 3 win Arkansas team. Win that and we play Bama in the first ever SEC title game.

GAWD we have some annoyingly dumb losses in our history

NOT THIS WEEKEND DAMNIT
1992 was bc they were trying to push Majors out for Fulmer….. The team was split with half pulling for Phil and the other half wanting Majors.

Reactions: PlanetVolunteer
TVA has some serious issues approaching. Most dams were built to last 80-100 years and will be due to be replaced. One can not fathom the money and time needed, but hundreds of billions or even a trillion would not be out of the question, and take decades. Being self funded, electricity rates are going to sky rocket.
They're such a poorly run (I know surprising) organization. Those damns should've been replaced are updated constantly. They only do patch jobs. Most of the flooding is on them and the government's in ability to spend money correctly

If Chickamauga Dam ever goes, Chattanooga goes with it.

VN Store

Back