Recruiting Football Talk VIII

They're such a poorly run (I know surprising) organization. Those damns should've been replaced are updated constantly. They only do patch jobs. Most of the flooding is on them and the government's in ability to spend money correctly
I have been in the bowels of most of them and had a close work relationship with engineering in a past job. They are really over designed and impressive, but wont last forever. Not even sure how you replace one. Just the lock replacement on Chickamauga is like $1B and a decade, and not even anything to do with the flood gates.

TVA has some serious issues approaching. Most dams were built to last 80-100 years and will be due to be replaced. One can not fathom the money and time needed, but hundreds of billions or even a trillion would not be out of the question, and take decades. Being self funded, electricity rates are going to sky rocket.

IDK why this country hates investing in infrastructure but it's the kind of thing that you put off until it kills you. I'd rather bypass the killing us bit and pay up before things collapse.

I have been in the bowels of most of them and had a close work relationship with engineering in a past job. They are really over designed and impressive, but wont last forever. Not even sure how you replace one. Just the lock replacement on Chickamauga is like $1B and a decade, and not even anything to do with the flood gates.
Can you imagine Fontana?

There's a lot of myth surrounding TVA. I remember talking about TVA taking land as a kid (just repeating what everyone always claimed) and my grandmother looked at me and said, ''no, child, daddy made a lot of money selling that to TVA. It was useless land at that point."

In truth, all of East, TN is fortunate the TVA came along when it did. History would've turned out differently if it hadn't. Not just electrifying the region either or the massive improvements to flood control. Take the atom bomb... Oak Ridge was using more power than Manhattan. Where oh where did that power come from?
it gave so many jobs to folks out of work.

tourism. flood control. recreation.

now still the govt, and they can do some pretty ****** things like change rules at any time, elevation levels, that can really mess with people's livlihoods.

I can be a little much! 😅 Don’t remember having a previous issue with VolGeorge, but I don’t keep a diary on my interactions on here…wouldn’t change my methodology one iota if I did. I highly encourage the use of the ignore feature to tailor one’s VN experience. I’m on some of posters I like and respect and have at least a couple who I thought I liked but noticed a like or comment that trashed me. Why put up with people you don’t trust or get a positive experience from? I hope never to naturally go too far with posters like you and InVol…but no promises. 😉
Thanks, brah. Check is in the mail.

Reactions: butchna
The TVA is slow, archaic. They dont build things just to build them. Severely under funded, and unable to control their own books.

Sound familiar?

That said, when they do something. They do it. Look at story if history of Wilbur Dam, look at South Holston, and Douglas Dams.

Perfect example is Boone Dam, researching how they reaolved that issue. Knew it was a problem for decades. They literally took 7-8 years to study, engineering a new method to fix, implement, test, and finally stage the reservoir back up.

Fascinating. Also, over engineered for obvious reasons.

I am thankful we have them. Certainly beats alternative, Duke Energy or privately run Dams. Or mother nature.
People in Charlotte are furious at Duke for not drawing down Lake Norman in the days leading up to Helene despite knowing what was coming.

That was pure freaking stupidity and someone in power needs to grill them for it.

He's not if you keep him in the pocket. His legs are the problem. Inaccurate passes all day in the second half.
He was 27/33 (82%), 374 passing yards with 2 TDs, 11.3 avg and a QBR of 98.5. Yeah he is a terrible passer. So I am curious, given those numbers against a UGA defense, what’s your criteria for a good passer?

Reactions: whitw

VN Store

Back