Recruiting Football Talk VIII

August 9, 1173
Construction of the Leaning Tower of Pisa began on this day in 1173. Due to war and debt, it took over 200 years to complete

The Tower of Pisa is the churches belltower. The city of Pisa was at the beginning a simple but important Italian seaport. With its growth, so did its religious buildings. Its fame and power grew gradually over the years, as the people of Pisa were involved in various military conflicts and trade agreements. The Pisans attacked the city of Palermo on the island of Sicily in 1063. The attack was successful and the conquerors returned to Pisa with a great deal of treasure. To show the world just how important the city was, the people of Pisa decided to build a great cathedral complex, the Field of Miracles. The plan included a cathedral, a baptistery, a bell tower (the Tower of Pisa) and a cemetery.

The real identity of Tower of Pisa’s architects is a mystery. The most accredited architects of this first phase of work are Bonanno Pisano and Gherardo din Gherardo. The second phase of construction started in 1275, and the work is attributed to Giovani di Simone. Tommaso Pisano (1350-1372) was the architect who finished the work.

The leaning of the Tower of Pisa comes into the story in 1173, when construction began. Thanks to the soft ground, it had begun to lean by the time its builders got to the third story, in 1178. Shifting soil had destabilized the tower’s foundations. Over the next 800 years, it became clear the 55-metre tower wasn’t just learning but was actually falling at a rate of one to two millimeters per year.

Its architect and engineer tried to correct this by making the remaining stories shorter on the uphill side – but to no avail. It kept leaning more and more. The lean, first noted when three of the tower’s eight stories had been built, resulted from the foundation stones being laid on soft ground consisting of clay, fine sand and shells. The next stories were built slightly taller on the short side of the tower in an attempt to compensate for the lean. However, the weight of the extra floors caused the edifice to sink further and lean more.

Today, the Leaning Tower of Pisa is more than five meters off perpendicular.

View attachment 665838
It'd be a real shame if your tower wasn't built properly and ended up leaning and looked like it was always about to fall over....
d39b313bcff22e1fd9b26b606a0f08f3_w200.gif

With the exception of Laettner.
Christian Laettner absolutely deserved to be on the 92 Dream Team. IIRC, they had to have 1 college/non professional player. He was the 92 National Player of the Year and had lead Duke to back to back National Championships. There was a lot of discussion about taking Shaquille O'Neal over CL but I believe they got it right. (Shaq would have been deserving, too.)

At the time, Isiah Thomas bothered me some because I thought he was the best point guard in the NBA. His is "Bad Boy attitude" got the better of him. It didn't matter that Chuck Daly was the coach, Jordan and some others said no. If Isiah wasn't a punk, I would have traded him for Pippen or Mullins. All 3 were deserving, but Isiah was the best player of that group.

Christian Laettner absolutely deserved to be on the 92 Dream Team. IIRC, they had to have 1 college/non professional player. He was the 92 National Player of the Year and had lead Duke to back to back National Championships. There was a lot of discussion about taking Shaquille O'Neal over CL but I believe they got it right. (Shaq would have been deserving, too.)

At the time, Isiah Thomas bothered me some because I thought he was the best point guard in the NBA. His is "Bad Boy attitude" got the better of him. It didn't matter that Chuck Daly was the coach, Jordan and some others said no. If Isiah wasn't a punk, I would have traded him for Pippen or Mullins. All 3 were deserving, but Isiah was the best player of that group.
I believe Stockton would've been left out for Isiah.

Good thing Ced & Hyatt are putting on a show in training camp. Jaylen Wright should get some notoriety, Darnell Wright has top RT in the league potential. His two QBs looking pretty decent, Ramel & Jabari have a strong chance of making a NFL roster. Hadden making noise, along with Nico & Heard likely being invited to the ‘26 draft with Heup possibly there with them.

I heard Hyatt was running with the ones and Jaylen wright was doing well. Hadn’t heard much about Tillman. Also heard Keyton was doing well.

Love it.

VN Store

Back