Recruiting Football Talk VIII

They don't get paid millions because it's dangerous. They get paid millions because we all watch them.

No different than basketball or baseball.

Football players didn't even wear helmets back in the day. They also weren't allowed to tackle below the waist for some time. Change happens constantly...people complain...then it just becomes normal and the goalpost is moved and the past is forgotten and the "ThiS iSnT HoW ReAL FoOtBalL uSeD To bE" argument is thrown out, full of ignorance usually.

Change is hard for many.
The individuals who complain are the ones who watch every Sunday to look for something else to complain about.😏

Soon you will be watching flag sissy ball...hope you enjoy that dumb 💩. The game..the way it is meant to be played..is an extremely physical game...which is why it is so popular.

This kickoff thing is f'n stupid....period.

Now go write a overwrought overthought novel Tolstoi...you can call it.."Screw War...Bubble wrap for all"
Helmets and pads are bubble wrap compared to OG football.

You've been watching "sissy football" all along...

Back in the day guys grew their hair out because they thought it'd protect their skulls. Lmao now that's OG football

So I'm rewatching NCSU's WCU game. They sat back in zone quite a bit. Was this practicing their scheme for UT or were they just keeping it vanilla in a game they expected to walk through?

I'm not sure which would be a worse plan. Do you sit back in zone and try to make us march down the field? If so, you're just asking us to pick you apart. I half suspect that's what they'll do, since we had red zone problems last year. But I don't expect red zone problems this year. I suspect if they sit back in zone, it creates a lot of space for us to run the ball and get some YAC in the short pass game. Then again, the only way to stop this offense has been to play man press at the LOS and get our WRs off their routes.

So... I'm also not sure they can match up with our receivers if they try to go cover 0,1 and man up. With no/little safety help over the top, I think we go deep on them all day. Also, Nico's legs become a factor if they go into man coverage and try to shake him with blitzes.

Here they sit back in Cover 3. Look at the cushion. It was an easy pitch and catch for 10 yards or so.
1725650899103.png
1725650952453.png

Here they play man in what looks like a Cover 1, and their guy gets beat across the middle for ~ 25 yards... Against WCU.
1725651027597.png
1725651104626.png
1725651150875.png

Which poison do they pick?

And if the same Nico shows up, that Nico will beat NC St.

That's lazy analysis.

Week 1 is an obvious crapshoot. But to say that a guy playing well in the 4th Q against an awful team and him carrying that over against a team who took their QB out after the 1st half when he broke the record for passing yards in a half...
Looked to me like starter for starter NCSU was about on par with WCU; they were just deeper. Didn't look like NCSU became world beaters. It looked like a 1AA team got tired at the end of a game.

I have tickets to the Oklahoma game.

Should I drive or fly?

To drive my car it would cost less than $200 but to fly it will cost $2200 for me and my wife. (At least that was the cheapest we saw) How are plane tickets that crazy expensive? To drive it would be about 26 hours of drive time so the flight would obviously be nice on time savings but I just can’t see spending that kind of money on that?

Someone help me, lol?
A whole lot depends on how well you and your wife get along.

No, my opinion of football going to hell began many years back and is partly traced back to Jerry Jones.

Can't imagine watching modern offenses, UT averaging 49 ppg, QBs going ballistic year in and out, the explosion of the spread and qb runs, and thinking football from the 60s, 70s, 80s was more entertaining.

Must really love watching the D.

Can't imagine watching modern offenses, UT averaging 49 ppg, QBs going ballistic year in and out, the explosion of the spread and qb runs, and thinking football from the 60s, 70s, 80s was more entertaining.

Defense is my favorite part of the game. A big hit is a thing of beauty, but unfortunately, they're taking that out of the game.

I love finding fellow condescending windbag geniuses.

Kudos, man. We're extremely valuable around here.

Isn’t this the guy who said “f’ this team”?
Apparently yes it was. Also apparently that was an old photo. Also apparently it wasn’t about his team. I guess that’s a lesson to why you don’t put things like that on the internet.

That said, “f this team” lol Gator program burning to ground.

So I'm rewatching NCSU's WCU game. They sat back in zone quite a bit. Was this practicing their scheme for UT or were they just keeping it vanilla in a game they expected to walk through?

I'm not sure which would be a worse plan. Do you sit back in zone and try to make us march down the field? If so, you're just asking us to pick you apart. I half suspect that's what they'll do, since we had red zone problems last year. But I don't expect red zone problems this year. I suspect if they sit back in zone, it creates a lot of space for us to run the ball and get some YAC in the short pass game. Then again, the only way to stop this offense has been to play man press at the LOS and get our WRs off their routes.

So... I'm also not sure they can match up with our receivers if they try to go cover 0,1 and man up. With no/little safety help over the top, I think we go deep on them all day. Also, Nico's legs become a factor if they go into man coverage and try to shake him with blitzes.

Here they sit back in Cover 3. Look at the cushion. It was an easy pitch and catch for 10 yards or so.

Here they play man in what looks like a Cover 1, and their guy gets beat across the middle for ~ 25 yards... Against WCU.

Which poison do they pick?
If Nico running the offense is going to more closely resemble Hooker than Milton, then there are only 2 demonstrated methods of stopping our offense:

- Knowing our signals w/o us realizing it
- Having both a dominate front 7 and shutdown defensive backfield (GA)

NC State is not going to check either box. I think you'll right, they'll sit back and dare our offense to slice and dice them w/o over-the-top plays. We will take exactly what they give us and thank them after the 6th TD when we put our back-ups in to mop up.

We may only win by a point, but we're not losing this game. We lose this and we have some serious issues in multiple areas, both with coaches and position groups.
Yeah if we lose vs a ranked opponent in their home state, we must just be a total disaster...

Lol let's not overreact. They were considered good preseason, had a poor 1st half showing last week, lots of transfer talent, just sayin...

I think we trash them, but if State looks really good and we lose, the whole season is still in front of us. Suddenly bringing up coaches would be so on-brand for some though

He's not a contrarian, he's an oddsmaker. He went 90% week 1, so he's not just offering hot takes. I think he's mistaken, but he's definitely being serious.
Curious, 90% vs what?

The ML in week 1 games? Meh. Versus the spread, I need his handle asap lol

If Nico running the offense is going to more closely resemble Hooker than Milton, then there are only 2 demonstrated methods of stopping our offense:

- Knowing our signals w/o us realizing it
- Having both a dominate front 7 and shutdown defensive backfield (GA)

NC State is not going to check either box. I think you'll right, they'll sit back and dare our offense to slice and dice them w/o over-the-top plays. We will take exactly what they give us and thank them after the 6th TD when we put our back-ups in to mop up.
Only counter is it being early in the season...example: Pitt throwing us off some b2b years.

Otherwise fully agree. Better cheat or just flat out have the #1 defense far and away

Curious, 90% vs what?

The ML in week 1 games? Meh. Versus the spread, I need his handle asap lol
Spread. He's one of those odds makers who sells his picks for a living. He's not historically 90% but he's usually solid.

In fairness, I was 9/14 in week 1. Nobody is asking to buy my picks.

VN Store

Back