Recruiting Football Talk VIII

So I’m back from the hospital and things are a bit better than expected. He is off the ventilator and awake. He is in critical care and while still very ill, he was well enough to get irritated with me when I kept telling him I couldn’t give him any food or water (they are afraid he could aspirate). He didn’t like that answer but he accepted it. His lungs still sound horrible and he has a long way to go but I’m so happy he is breathing on his own. He struggled with his words but he’s definitely still there, even his sense of humor. Since they won’t give him any food or water right now I figured the best thing for him would be to let him sleep.

My goodness, our defensive line

200w.gif
That "how they look when they get off the bus" factor on fleek 💅

One of the main reason UT uses Ticketmaster (or any other ticket seller) is the savings for UT. It is very expensive to run security for a ticket site. Ticketmaster can spread that cost out over all the tickets they sell. UT would have to spend large sums of money to have their own site and have it be secure. All sports teams have gone to this. Even the NFL doesn’t run its own ticket operations.
Ticketmaster sucks.

I love Joe as an ambassador of the Vols, greatly appreciate and respect how he handled everything while here, and will always wish him well in the future. I’m also glad he’s not QB1 here anymore.

Hope he does well in the league. It’ll only serve him, and the Tennessee Vols, well if so.
I will follow him to see how it translates in game situations. It is possible different schemes could fit his skill sets better than ours, and I have no issue with coach not modifying ours. Different read responsibilities and limited progressions could work for him.

MAY never possess those instinctive gamer instincts all pro guys feature, but could make a lot of plays and continue to limit ints. Can he mix in touch with his velocity once comfortable in a system and sustain drives in the NFL? Time will tell. He can do things you cannot teach. Can HE learn those other teachable things if he can slow things down on the field? A big unknown. Projecting either way is a fools errand worthy of scorn.

I do not need a reason "not to go." I have been attending UT games for over 55 years and posting on their board since 2008 and it is hilarious to see people post on here I am "not a fan." I just know that UT has to have marquee games to get the recognition and develop our recruiting. The significance of recruiting this year is the wins over Alabama, Florida, Pitt, and LSU in 2022. Not the loss to USCe. You do not get headlines for your program by beating Akron, Tennessee Tech, and WKU.

Miami and Florida State were nothing programs in the mid 1970's and Schnellenberger and Bowden told the college football world that they would play anybody, anywhere, and at anytime. And players flocked to those programs because they knew they would become the elite in college football. I hope the future playoff committees take schedule strength into consideration so we do not have to watch teams that play patsy schedules in the playoffs.

If you think about the future super leagues then you will see which teams shoot for the top and what their status is in college football.
Are you sure about that? In 1983…. the year the Hurricanes won the championship…. They only played two top 25 teams and one of them was West Virginia. Both teams were independents back then… I am pretty sure that Tennessee plays a tougher schedule now.

It's a reference to some podcast Dave Hooker recorded a few weeks ago. He said that "Pearce" had some issues or something of that nature. There is a reason no one listens or reads what he produces.
I saw Hooker at the Kroger gas station this week and he looks like he has issues of his own… sheesh

Reactions: DD4ME
I love how CJH sounded very complimentary of a player (receiver I think) during the PC but because you can’t hear the questions asked, I have no clue who he was talking about.

Reactions: barrylee and DD4ME
I do not need a reason "not to go." I have been attending UT games for over 55 years and posting on their board since 2008 and it is hilarious to see people post on here I am "not a fan." I just know that UT has to have marquee games to get the recognition and develop our recruiting. The significance of recruiting this year is the wins over Alabama, Florida, Pitt, and LSU in 2022. Not the loss to USCe. You do not get headlines for your program by beating Akron, Tennessee Tech, and WKU.

Miami and Florida State were nothing programs in the mid 1970's and Schnellenberger and Bowden told the college football world that they would play anybody, anywhere, and at anytime. And players flocked to those programs because they knew they would become the elite in college football. I hope the future playoff committees take schedule strength into consideration so we do not have to watch teams that play patsy schedules in the playoffs.

If you think about the future super leagues then you will see which teams shoot for the top and what their status is in college football.
We've had no worse than the 10th maybe even 5th toughest schedule in the country for what seems like forever.

What in the world are you talking about LOL? Who in the FBS hasn't played weak 2 or 3 weak teams a year in the non-conference? This kind of narrative is just so off its insane.

in 1983 did you enjoy our games against New Mexico @ 3-8 Rutgers and the Citadel? We have played 3 weak non-conference teams since forever.

Last edited:
Devil's advocate point of view for their top pick.

The issue is you are comparing a sixth round flier versus third overall. Not a good look. Great look for a flier like Joe with low expectations though.

I don’t think you have an episode of PR like that if you’re not absolutely in panic mode already. Milton was criminally underrated in the draft even when you factor in his issues which were exaggerated by college WRs needing time to adjust as well as injuries taking out the only returning production we had beyond Squirrel and Squirrel can’t be that guy every play without someone else out there who is also a threat. That said, there’s too big of an investment in Maye for them to give Joe much of a chance barring injury or disaster.

Joe has his issues but he has also been unfairly tagged with a lot of things he either overcame or corrected.

We've had no worse than the 10th maybe even 5th toughest schedule in thr country for what seems like forever.

What in the world are you talking about LOL? Who in the FBS hasn't played weak 2 or 3 weak teams a year in the non-conference? This kind of narrative is just so off its insane.

in 1983 did you enjoy our games against New Mexico @ 3-8 Rutgers and the Citadel? We have played 3 weak non-conference teams since forever.
I was at that citadel game.😏

Devil's advocate point of view for their top pick.

The issue is you are comparing a sixth round flier versus third overall. Not a good look. Great look for a flier like Joe with low expectations though.

I mean that's a pretty funny tweet. "No reason to panic, guys. Joe Milton hasn't been better than Drake Maye. Actually, they have BOTH been terrible".

Why is he reporting that like it's good news? 😂

I mean that's a pretty funny tweet. "No reason to panic, guys. Joe Milton hasn't been better than Drake Maye. Actually, they have BOTH been terrible".

Why is he reporting that like it's good news? 😂
He’s thinking more about Maye’s image than anything else. I know if we saw that report for our vols the forums would melt from the overload.

Reactions: Glitch and DD4ME
He’s thinking more about Maye’s image than anything else. I know if we saw that report for our vols the forums would melt from the overload.

Nico has played absolutely horrendous so far. Coaches and support staff are actually finding it difficult to help him because of the instinct to look away it's so bad. But not to worry. Merklinger and Gaston Moore have been even worse.
- AP

Can you imagine...

VN Store

Back