Recruiting Football Talk VIII

It's a reference to some podcast Dave Hooker recorded a few weeks ago. He said that "Pearce" had some issues or something of that nature. There is a reason no one listens or reads what he produces.
He’s now saying it’s a huge concern since he doesn’t want to talk to the media. Saying there’s all these red flags because he got a bs reckless driving charge

Reactions: berryvol

Love him or hate him Joe is Joe. Which is to say he possess a host of great attributes. It is 0 surprise to me the guy is looking better than the guy drafted before him. I think the question is will any of it ever translate to game day?

Drake Maye continues to underwhelm while Joe Milton impresses. I wrote after last Thursday’s practice that Milton is the “wow” quarterback at camp — the guy with the best size, best athleticism, and biggest arm. Now I’ll take it a step further: Milton outplayed Maye over the first six practices of camp. You can’t tell which player is the No. 3 overall pick (Maye) and which is the sixth-round flier (Milton).

Maye is running second on the depth chart and getting a ton of work, but he hasn’t made many noteworthy throws. He was the only quarterback not to throw a touchdown pass in a red zone drill Tuesday, while Milton, in limited reps, threw touchdowns on consecutive plays, one on a drag to Polk and another on an RPO slant to JuJu Smith-Schuster.

In the red zone/two-minute situation, Maye had an ugly, off-platform throw that went way wide of Smith-Schuster, a hospital ball to tight end Mitchell Wilcox that got him sandwiched between two defenders, and an incomplete corner fade to Javon Baker in the end zone that had the entire offense doing pushups.

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Milton wows the crowd every day with his tantalizing arm and standing backflips. After Maye struggled in the red zone, Milton promptly came in and completed a nice pass to Kawaan Baker on the sideline.

Last edited:
I am excited about the new rule allowing an innovator and former elite QB such as coach Heupel to be in the ear of a young QB phenomenal talent such as Nico in real time. I think Tennessee will be able to use it as an edge that other coaches and on field QBs will not be capable of maximizing to the same extent.

Looking to escalate much? Ok, one post and then I’ll let it go.

First of all, your argument for why you no longer go to games makes no sense. We play plenty of tough teams and we’ve always had at least 2 or 3 games that are easy wins, just like every other team in FBS. If scheduling an easy win or three is the litmus test, no other team passes, either. It’s almost like you’re trying to find a reason not to go… 🤨

Our schedule is already tough. We play plenty of marquee matchups during the conference schedule. Having an easier ooc schedule isn’t going to hurt us. It certainly didn’t help us to play a home and home with Oklahoma during the Dooley/Butch/Beldar era, did it?
I do not need a reason "not to go." I have been attending UT games for over 55 years and posting on their board since 2008 and it is hilarious to see people post on here I am "not a fan." I just know that UT has to have marquee games to get the recognition and develop our recruiting. The significance of recruiting this year is the wins over Alabama, Florida, Pitt, and LSU in 2022. Not the loss to USCe. You do not get headlines for your program by beating Akron, Tennessee Tech, and WKU.

Miami and Florida State were nothing programs in the mid 1970's and Schnellenberger and Bowden told the college football world that they would play anybody, anywhere, and at anytime. And players flocked to those programs because they knew they would become the elite in college football. I hope the future playoff committees take schedule strength into consideration so we do not have to watch teams that play patsy schedules in the playoffs.

If you think about the future super leagues then you will see which teams shoot for the top and what their status is in college football.

Love him or hate him Joe is Joe. Which is to say he possess a host of great attributes. It is 0 surprise to me the guy is looking better than the guy drafted before him. I think the question is will any of it ever translate to game day?

I love Joe as an ambassador of the Vols, greatly appreciate and respect how he handled everything while here, and will always wish him well in the future. I’m also glad he’s not QB1 here anymore.

Hope he does well in the league. It’ll only serve him, and the Tennessee Vols, well if so.

VN Store

Back