Recruiting Football Talk VIII

That Sugar Bowl is still the greatest game I have ever been able to attend. I came back as a student that Fall just for football 🤠
Great season and the best ass whooping I have ever seen.
We recorded the game and I loved hearing the announcers having to eat crow (once we got back home).
Miami fans were loud and obnoxious pregame. Totally disappeared post game. I swear that the Volunteers tripled after the game. Don’t think I have ever heard so many different renditions of Rocky Top in one night. 🤠
I still remember listening to that game on the radio. I’ll never forget that. My sis and I decided to go out and just listen to the GREAT John Ward instead of watching 😒. I remember hanging onto every John’s play by play and cheering over every touchdown. Miami was over confident from the get go.

Reggie Cobb against Auburn in the rain is one of my favorites. I think I was in section EE but the entire section was jumping up and down. Incredible moment.
I was at that one. Pouring rain. Grinning from ear to ear. Jumping and high fiving. Soaked to the bone. I was amazed when I got home and watched the recording at how well those cameras do at making the rain invisible.

That Sugar Bowl is still the greatest game I have ever been able to attend. I came back as a student that Fall just for football 🤠
Great season and the best ass whooping I have ever seen.
We recorded the game and I loved hearing the announcers having to eat crow (once we got back home).
Miami fans were loud and obnoxious pregame. Totally disappeared post game. I swear that the Volunteers tripled after the game. Don’t think I have ever heard so many different renditions of Rocky Top in one night. 🤠
My wife was pregnant with our twins. Her due date window was January 1st thur 5th.
I told her not tonight baby please🙏🏻
Twins were born January 5th 1986 🧡🍊

Georgia has traditionally played the weakest SEC schedule in history. Before divisions, they never played Alabama, Tennessee or LSU annually. Even after divisions, I never recall them playing Ala & LSU in the same season. While Auburn is a quality FB school, they don’t have the tradition of Ala or LSU.

Georgia will play one of the toughest SEC schedules this year thou. It is a bear.
They’ve actually played Alabama a lot, historically.

I listen to a wide mix of podcasts including those of other fanbases. I am telling you all that even our biggest opponents and detractors are looking over their shoulders and talking about us. The talk is we are a year away. The closer we get, and the more great recruits sign up, the more it starts to sound like the are convincing themselves it is a year away.

Wait you dont go games like Florida, Alabama and UGA because we also play UTC and Kent St? That makes sense.

In the last 10 years or so we have played Oklahoma twice, BYU, Pitt twice, NC St, Virginia Tech, West Virginia and Georgia Tech. Not sure where you get UGA plays all comers. They have played ND twice GA Tech every year, Oregon, Clemson twice. So not bad but not dramatically harder than UT’s schedule. There out of conference games last year were Ball St, UTM, UAB and GA Tech.
Doubt Ga fans are complaining about their schedule.

Reactions: Volunteer821
Get out of the SEC then. Alabama and Georgia play all comers. Our program was much better when we played marquee out of conference opponents, instead of the sisters of the poor we have played in recent years. Playing patsies is the reason I no longer go to games. Tired of paying good money to watch mostly directional schools.
Funny how Bama, UGA, Clemson and Michigan all won national championships even though playing pretty soft OOC games for the most part. Meanwhile other teams play tougher OOCs and sit and watch the NC games.

@volbeast33

Should I start worrying now? You posted it will be all good, well good is now down to 4 1/2 game division lead and a BP that would make the pope cuss.
Yes, the official VolNation LA Dodger worry circle is now open. Snacks and drinks will be provided as budget allows.

I do not need a reason "not to go." I have been attending UT games for over 55 years and posting on their board since 2008 and it is hilarious to see people post on here I am "not a fan." I just know that UT has to have marquee games to get the recognition and develop our recruiting. The significance of recruiting this year is the wins over Alabama, Florida, Pitt, and LSU in 2022. Not the loss to USCe. You do not get headlines for your program by beating Akron, Tennessee Tech, and WKU.

Miami and Florida State were nothing programs in the mid 1970's and Schnellenberger and Bowden told the college football world that they would play anybody, anywhere, and at anytime. And players flocked to those programs because they knew they would become the elite in college football. I hope the future playoff committees take schedule strength into consideration so we do not have to watch teams that play patsy schedules in the playoffs.

If you think about the future super leagues then you will see which teams shoot for the top and what their status is in college football.
There isn’t a single recruit this year or last who committed to us because of a win over a ****** Pitt team in ‘22. You contradicted yourself in your own post. The Alabama game in ‘22 has done more for recruiting than any non-conference game(EDIT: Any game) we’ve played that I can remember.

So, what’s the point in making an already tough SEC schedule even harder? If you do that, as an AD, you’ll have to face the reality that any non-conference loss will hurt you in either seeding in the new postseason or getting in at all. Why take that risk?

I say play 3 cupcakes like everybody else and a mid-tier opponent (like NC State). Why schedule a bunch of tough non-conference opponents when the best teams in the country are the ones you’re already going to be playing year after year? There’s no logic in your post.

VN Store

Back