Recruiting Football Talk VIII

Yeah, if “if we’re being fair”, your MISSES are like pulling teeth on you and your process of MISSING isn’t as illuminated by yourself. You also MISSED big on Mahomes who’s better than either of your “huge hits”.

I had Mahomes as a Pro Bowl caliber QB. So it wasn't a complete miss. I missed like everyone else on him being generational. And I would disagree on him being better than Allen. Josh Allen is the most talented QB in NFL history. His lack of Super Bowl titles is more about circumstances than him not performing at an elite level. Mahomes has simply been more lucky. Josh Allen is the better physical talent.

Reactions: tn4elvis
I was kind of surprised when I heard that, but it kinda of makes sense. He is a better route runner and apparently had a better spring. Either way, our top 6 wr’s are all starting quality so I dont think it matters at this point
Just hope whoever is out there can be dynamic enough to create separation, make the tough catch, make plays after the catch. All areas we didnt have the best year in 2023, imo.

Just hope whoever is out there can be dynamic enough to create separation, make the tough catch, make plays after the catch. All areas we didnt have the best year in 2023, imo.
Yup, SW didn’t do a good job of getting separation last year, and had a hard time finding holes in the zone to sit his route for milton to find him

Reactions: Jackcrevol
I had Mahomes as a Pro Bowl caliber QB. So it wasn't a complete miss. I missed like everyone else on him being generational. And I would disagree on him being better than Allen. Josh Allen is the most talented QB in NFL history. His lack of Super Bowl titles is more about circumstances than him not performing at an elite level. Mahomes has simply been more lucky. Josh Allen is the better physical talent.
I actually agree with you on that point.😀

Reactions: Dobbs 4 Heisman
There isn’t a single recruit this year or last who committed to us because of a win over a ****** Pitt team in ‘22. You contradicted yourself in your own post. The Alabama game in ‘22 has done more for recruiting than any non-conference game(EDIT: Any game) we’ve played that I can remember.

So, what’s the point in making an already tough SEC schedule even harder? If you do that, as an AD, you’ll have to face the reality that any non-conference loss will hurt you in either seeding in the new postseason or getting in at all. Why take that risk?

I say play 3 cupcakes like everybody else and a mid-tier opponent (like NC State). Why schedule a bunch of tough non-conference opponents when the best teams in the country are the ones you’re already going to be playing year after year? There’s no logic in your post.
I think the Virginia game was smart scheduling (in spite of the whining from many of our fans about a neutral site game…which was ignorant, since it replaced a road game, not a home game).

Virginia is a power four opponent, so the name looks good, even if the team isn’t. That’s much better than playing a team like Appalachian State, who is better than Virginia, but the name sounds more like a cupcake. I would like to schedule more teams like UVA, Washington State, Indiana, Georgia Tech, Texas Tech…basically bottom feeders in P5 conferences. That way you get the name recognition of beating a P4 school, but you’re less likely to lose to them than you are many of the Group of Five schools. You really have nothing to gain and everything to lose playing the latter.

I’d also like to see the UCLA series come back.

A message for me on this Thursday. I hope it helps others.

August 1, 2024: It is good to remind yourself of who you are, what you have been given to be and to do, and to be thankful that you belong to Me, says the Lord. A grateful heart is one who is blessed. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.

Last edited:
“Luck” is when preparation meets opportunity. Games have been available to win and Allen falls short to quarterbacks who don’t always have the more talented team. Burrow without a representative OL (with a SB on the line) and Mahomes with lackluster WRs. Allen can run and he throws real hard…dog and pony show.

Reactions: white65
“Luck” is when preparation meets opportunity. Games have been available to win and Allen falls short to quarterbacks who don’t always have the more talented team. Burrow without a representative OL (with a SB on the line) and Mahomes with lackluster WRs. Allen can run and he throws real hard…dog and pony show.

Fair point. If Allen never makes it to a Super Bowl you might have a point. But as of now he's 28 years old and just about to enter the prime of his career. I think he can win a couple of Super Bowls before he retires. At some point luck should even out.

Fair point. If Allen never makes it to a Super Bowl you might have a point. But as of now he's 28 years old and just about to enter the prime of his career. I think he can win a couple of Super Bowls before he retires. At some point luck should even out.
As long as he does athletic things you don’t care about winning. 😏

Reactions: MarcoVol and mrMet

VN Store

Back