Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you were to end up with the same record at the end of the year with JG as with Shrout/Mauer/Bailey or say a one game difference and then because of your foresight you gain 3 wins next year because of the experience gained...it's pretty obvious. I think about everybody on here would take one less win this year for 3 more next year.
well, we do play BG, USA and Pitt...and still need one more OOC game...i'm betting we find 3 more out of that group. :)

the other side to your logic is that by putting a kid out there that's not really ready or that truly doesn't grasp the whole picture, offensivley, you put him in bad position to maybe stunt his development or get hurt cause he's not up to speed on preotections, reading defenses etc.....

there's no formula. but i think for the most part, the overwhelming majority of hte time you see P5 programs start freshmen, it's usually because they're in the wonderful wolrd of "you don't have a choice".

you also have to consider the development of the rest of the offense, for those that will be back anyway.

when Pruitt got here, we assumed JG would "get there"....we knew the issues with the O line and talent defficiencies elsewhere on the offense.

well, while i can't speak positively on all things regarding the TN offense, two things have gotten better over the past 3 years despite Saturday's game....we have a lot more speed at the skill positions and the line is better. JG has stayed the same....you take this job in 2018 and you're basically thinking y ou've got 2 cycles to find your next QB....

anyway, JG was a primary concern going in to this game. and so was defensive depth. i think losing that game sucks, but it's not hte end of hte world. i think losing by 3 TD's...again...is the thing cutting deep with most, self included...and just the way we went from being competitive and hanging with them, to looking like a JV squad in the matter of a few minutes.

there's still 3-4 more big opportunities for htis program to take advantage of this season.....Bama, FL, aTm, Auburn....we really need to find a way to split those 4 and win the rest.

as for the personnel issues we seem to have...i have no clue. i don't expect much offensively at this point. and that ultimately hurts the defense too....good news, we don't face another defense like GA's the rest of the schedule.....so who knows. formula is still the same...

Reactions: hooter vol
Sarcasm. You suck at it.

Wow, didn’t realize not giving up on Bailey in his 0th year here was such a hot button issue.

I was just pointing out that earlier in the day AP was already insinuating that Salter and Simpson were going to pass him up, then later the SAME DAY he’s talking about how solid he was at scrimmage.

If you were to end up with the same record at the end of the year with JG as with Shrout/Mauer/Bailey or say a one game difference and then because of your foresight you gain 3 wins next year because of the experience gained...it's pretty obvious. I think about everybody on here would take one less win this year for 3 more next year.
Just sign off on that crystal ball guarantee playa! How did you come by this insider prophecy? What if you lose every single damn one? “Everybody on here” willing to resign?

I don’t get all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing over Pruitt not benching JG. Pruitt showed last year he will pull him. Maybe JG plays well enough to keep the job, maybe he gets benched. No clue. But Pruitt isn’t afraid to sit him.
I think the reason why Pruitt kept 2 in is because he didn't want his back up to get manhandled behind the Oline

I can't be calm when I watch UT play. I've tried. It never works.

Typically during a game I have to go out in the backyard 3-4 times and walk around to cool off over something that happened.

Example: During the 2016 UF game when it wa 21-3 in the first half I got so pizzed I went out back and decided eff it, not going to watch anymore of that self-destruct, so started doing some work on a shed I was building. When I thought the game ws probably over I went back inside and we were up 38-21.

Since then, that has been part of my game day strategy to help the Vols win. Unfortunately I tried it Saturday and it seems my good luck mojo has worn off.

Wow, didn’t realize not giving up on Bailey in his 0th year here was such a hot button issue.

I was just pointing out that earlier in the day AP was already insinuating that Salter and Simpson were going to pass him up, then later the SAME DAY he’s talking about how solid he was at scrimmage.
They gotta talk about something. Price got pissed at me last week after he stated that “no one should be surprised about Small. We have been saying he’s running 3rd string since the opening game.” And I responded “You guys say a lot of things.” There’s a lot of throwaway on that board.

Took 3 steps to do it. No way the refs could overlook it.
I’m not discounting a flag being thrown. It’s ridiculous that is “targeting” though. He deserved a 15 yard penalty and a warning that another hit like that would lead to an ejection but it wasn’t egregious to the point of warranting an ejection. Imo that is.

Ramon Foster very salty about the play calling. Saying the majority of blame goes on the OL and Chaney. Then blames JG to a lesser degree
I like Chaney but I don’t disagree. He called a very poor game and for anyone paying attention our OL has had lazy second halves all year. They got away with it because they out talented other opponents but it never should’ve taken us jumbo packages to get first downs against Mizzou. All that weight advantage and talent advantage and they can’t push teams like that around for a yard?

I like Chaney but I don’t disagree. He called a very poor game and for anyone paying attention our OL has had lazy second halves all year. They got away with it because they out talented other opponents but it never should’ve taken us jumbo packages to get first downs against Mizzou. All that weight advantage and talent advantage and they can’t push teams like that around for a yard?

Chaney was hangry, so he threw the game, pretty well known by now.

I don’t get all the hand wringing and teeth gnashing over Pruitt not benching JG. Pruitt showed last year he will pull him. Maybe JG plays well enough to keep the job, maybe he gets benched. No clue. But Pruitt isn’t afraid to sit him.
He never truly intended to sit him. He would only sit him for a couple series or quarter. Then he would be right back in. He needed to sit some times because he is a head case. Pruitt always ended up playing JG no matter what.

Run on 1st down. Pass on 2nd. Throw a false start in there and it's 3rd and 13. Repeat next drive.

I don’t think it’s fair to say the OL was bad the first two games in the second half nor do I think we should be fooled by the score to think the OL played well the first half in Athens. They were bad the entire game.

Fosters issue with Chaney is that he failed to do any misdirection, RB screens or more WR screens when the DL was dominating. He’s correct Chaney never tried anything outside the box outside of the one reverse to 11

i think that some of the play calling issues are a result of what hte QB can and can't do reasonably well. jmo....there's certain throws and routes we just never, ever see...some of it is personnel dictated. some situational. and some...limitations of your QB.

i still haven't watched it, so i'm not saying bench this guy or start another guy.

i just know that if there was another guy that was equal to or better than JG, in all facets (remember, the big thing was/has been the knowledge of the offense, protections, and being able to check in and out of plays properly), then i find it hard to believe we'd stick with JG.

especially now that we've seen, apparently, another not so great performance in a big situation, i think the staff may look at it like "ok he's had his shot, again..." and may be quicker ont he trigger to yank him at this point....

as for the scrimmage, they said from the get go that was about younger guys or guys that haven't seen live action yet, getting reps. so it shouldn't come as a surprise that HB and others got a ton of reps last night....that was the purpose....i wouldn't read anytning to that about who's starting or not.

Just sign off on that crystal ball guarantee playa! How did you come by this insider prophecy? What if you lose every single damn one? “Everybody on here” willing to resign?

At least I am looking playa, you are just shaking your skeptical head like a toddler who won't eat his greens, "nope nope nope JG must start every game or we can't win!" Those who do not learn history are doomed to repeat it. How you have not learned by now how JG can single handedly had a game over to the other team boggles my mind. The OL was whipped Saturday but they did not throw the ball to the other team or drop the ball repeatedly like it was a hot potato. Other teams roll out the youngsters that have promise and develop. We trot out the old horse that should be delivered to the glue factory.

I’m not discounting a flag being thrown. It’s ridiculous that is “targeting” though. He deserved a 15 yard penalty and a warning that another hit like that would lead to an ejection but it wasn’t egregious to the point of warranting an ejection. Imo that is.

Agreed. A 'Roughing the Passer' call is designed to protect the QB, so you can't hit high or low. 'Targeting' is supposedly designed to protect both a 'defenseless' player as well as the defender, as leading with the crown of the helmet can conceivably do as much or more damage to a defender as the 'targeted' player.

Accoring to the NCAA, for it to be targeting...
  • Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
DJ did not launch
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
DJ did not crouch and thrust
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
DJ did not 'lead' with his helmet; he simply leaned forward and tapped Bennett's fore area of the helmet with his own fore area of his helmet.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
DJ did not lower his head and use the crown of his helmet, and he did not really attack as he never crouched, nor did he leave his feet.

It was Roughing the Passer, but no more. I can understand the official on the field making the call in the moment, but you expect the replay official, with the ability to review, to easily conclude that that type of hit was not a hit that was going to cause injury to either player.

The NCAA has to address this. They cannot keep ejecting teams' key players over BS calls once they have been able to review the call.

Agreed. A 'Roughing the Passer' call is designed to protect the QB, so you can't hit high or low. 'Targeting' is supposedly designed to protect both a 'defenseless' player as well as the defender, as leading with the crown of the helmet can conceivably do as much or more damage to a defender as the 'targeted' player.

Accoring to the NCAA, for it to be targeting...
  • Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
DJ did not launch
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
DJ did not crouch and thrust
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
DJ did not 'lead' with his helmet; he simply leaned forward and tapped Bennett's fore area of the helmet with his own fore area of his helmet.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
DJ did not lower his head and use the crown of his helmet, and he did not really attack as he never crouched, nor did he leave his feet.

It was Roughing the Passer, but no more. I can understand the official on the field making the call in the moment, but you expect the replay official, with the ability to review, to easily conclude that that type of hit was not a hit that was going to cause injury to either player.

The NCAA has to address this. They cannot keep ejecting teams' key players over BS calls once they have been able to review the call.

How about don't be a dumb ass and put yourself in that position when you know the rules?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back