Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pruitt also took over a program that was literally rock bottom in the SEC. Kirby took over a 10 win program and MulThis is just a fact..len took over a program that had just won the East two years in a row. They had very minor rebuilds and plenty of talent to work with.
This is a fact, much different circumstances..

Didn't gain anything, didn't lose anything.. Saw where we were compared to the best defense and one of the better offenses we'll see all year.. Defense held its end of the bargain, offense needs work.. No one thought we were ready to play with UGA... we were just all optimistic and leading at halftime made the optimism worse.. then we got a good dose of reality.. all of JP's teams this far have ended a hell of a lot stronger than they have started... getting spanked for one half of football by the #3 team in the nation doesn't change anything..
Exactly. Everyone counted this as a loss in the beginning of the year. I still think we need to go 6-4 and 7-3 would be a good year with our schedule. We shouldn't just forget about getting beat by a good team and move on. There were some glaring weaknesses that were exposed, and if they don't get fixed we will never take the next step. Luckily I believe Pruitt will work to get these things fixed through practice and recruiting. RBs getting blown up shows why Pruitt wants bigger backs. Chandler and Gray have been backs, but they had a weakness exposed. I think Gray is a NFL caliber back, but he has to be able to pass block to be a 3 down back.

Reactions: jlawso21
I agree with this. Pruitt has done many good things and truly resurrected our program from the dead, but his handling of the QB situation has been horrible. We should have someone better by now whether it be a grad transfer or through recruiting. It is holding our team back immensely. We can’t take the next step until we find a QB. Who knows, he could be sitting on the bench but we refuse to play the other three.
OL was terrible, now loaded with four and five stars.
Defense couldn’t stop Vandy, now we have one of the best in the conference.
Terrible QB has just continued.
we played 5 qb's last season. they're not refusing due to stubornness......

I don’t think it’s fair to say the OL was bad the first two games in the second half nor do I think we should be fooled by the score to think the OL played well the first half in Athens. They were bad the entire game.

Fosters issue with Chaney is that he failed to do any misdirection, RB screens or more WR screens when the DL was dominating. He’s correct Chaney never tried anything outside the box outside of the one reverse to 11

Exactly, Chaney did not try to mix things up or try anything different the second half... no new looks or anything to attempt to get the D guessing or confused...

We almost never attack the middle of the field in the passing game. Got to think that’s by design and they don’t trust JG.
i think confidencel level in JG plays a part in that, agreed.

i also think it has something to do with the fact htat we don't have the big physical receivers right now. we did go across the middle with Jennings...and DWA some....not so much right now....and i do think that's a result of not wanting to put JG in a position of making a mistake with a turnover, and a general statement on our physicality at WR.

this year's WR group, while i've been impressed and remain hopeful, reminds me of where where we were in 18, where our best route was back shoulder throws to the sidelines or outs/curls along the boundary. specific spots/windows to throw to and receive from....

I don’t remember issuing that quoted statement...guess I need to borrow some of your CBD. I’m just on record that we’re free to do all kinds of experimenting on a message board...what’s the consequences? Pruitt and his staff have to weigh every move and said CONSEQUENCES...like losing the team when you start playing musical QB’s. Fulmer had TWO losing seasons in his head coaching career, and both had said QB musical chairs gamesmanship in common. Maybe they had a conversation. If the coaches make the change, I’m the last person who would have issue with it. They have everything at stake...we don’t.

It seemed to work last year, am I mistaken? In fact, it seems like we are in the EXACT same boat as last year, JG sparing us to death early in the year. Only difference is that our other qbs have more experience, we have a freshman wunderkind waiting for his shot and this year doesn't cost anyone eligibility.

I’m not discounting a flag being thrown. It’s ridiculous that is “targeting” though. He deserved a 15 yard penalty and a warning that another hit like that would lead to an ejection but it wasn’t egregious to the point of warranting an ejection. Imo that is.

Agree. I think the part of the rule the refs missed is “forcible” contact. He didn’t even knock Bennett down. That’s not a hit that causes injury and warrants disqualification. As I’m sure tons of people have pointed out, the chop block was waaaay more dangerous.

Agree. I think the part of the rule the refs missed is “forcible” contact. He didn’t even knock Bennett down. That’s not a hit that causes injury and warrants disqualification. As I’m sure tons of people have pointed out, the chop block was waaaay more dangerous.
They don’t have discretion on that. Maybe you’re thinking NFL? Bennett was considered a defenseless player and Johnson initiated contact. Cut and dry. They couldn’t NOT call the penalty.

It seemed to work last year, am I mistaken?
it sorta did...but you gotta count JG playing both roles in that edition of musical chairs....at one point, he was the one getting yanked, at others, he was the one somebody else got yanked for.............

i still can't explain why that worked.

and i still say what our staff did managing that whole qb situation last year was pretty impressive.

now, none of us have seen eihter of them yet, but the apparent thing we did get to see last year is both shrout and maurer weren't always the greatest decision makers and while both made huge plays, both also put the ball, and themselves, in harms way their fair share of times as well.

so we had 3 qb's that all made varying degrees of football mistakes, and only 1 of the 3 could manage the checks, protections and game plan.

that guy kept getting the opportunities over the other two.

i'll be a little surprised if we don't see similar things happen again, especially if JG looks like he's got PTSD now.

No. We want to be a legit football team so we expect to play with anyone. We weren't even in the game on offense. I viewed UGA as a game where we had something to gain and nothing to lose. We just let an opportunity slip where we could have showed people that we were ready to play with the big boys.
I agree and understand. I’m just saying there are some that were acting like we should have won just based off of the fact that they thought we had been favored to win it or just roll off the bus and win. It was going to be an uphill battle even with them spotting us 7 to start the game. I’m glad we hung with them punch for punch as long as we did. The O line had too many mental busts & the defense got hung out to dry out there & gassed out. They played their butts off and I was very pleased with that goal line stand. Showed progress in many areas but the O line is capable of so much better & some of that may have to do with development. We can totally get taken to the next level on offense by an elite QB, but that’s a tired refrain. Just have to keep on keepin on. Doom & gloom gets us nowhere

They don’t have discretion on that. Maybe you’re thinking NFL? Bennett was considered a defenseless player and Johnson initiated contact. Cut and dry. They couldn’t NOT call the penalty.
The fact it wasn't forcible made it seem almost like slow-mo in real time and made it all the more obvious how blatant it was.

I agree with this. Pruitt has done many good things and truly resurrected our program from the dead, but his handling of the QB situation has been horrible. We should have someone better by now whether it be a grad transfer or through recruiting. It is holding our team back immensely. We can’t take the next step until we find a QB. Who knows, he could be sitting on the bench but we refuse to play the other three.
OL was terrible, now loaded with four and five stars.
Defense couldn’t stop Vandy, now we have one of the best in the conference.
Terrible QB has just continued.
I hate to say that I agree. We have a problem. It is one of two problems: it is either a problem with development, I.e. Weinke, and we need to fire him and hire someone who can develop QB’s.

Or, 2. It’s a recruiting problem and we struggle to identify QB’s. Maybe we fixed that with Chaney and Salter? Idk

We have a QB who is in his fifth year and he is highly limited, in fact, he’s probably the 2nd worst QB in the league. And yet, we have no one who can beat him out. There has to be a reason for that. At this point I’m concerned that we could have Trevor Lawrence on the bench and we’ll still start JG because reasons

it sorta did...but you gotta count JG playing both roles in that edition of musical chairs....at one point, he was the one getting yanked, at others, he was the one somebody else got yanked for.............

i still can't explain why that worked.

and i still say what our staff did managing that whole qb situation last year was pretty impressive.

now, none of us have seen eihter of them yet, but the apparent thing we did get to see last year is both shrout and maurer weren't always the greatest decision makers and while both made huge plays, both also put the ball, and themselves, in harms way their fair share of times as well.

so we had 3 qb's that all made varying degrees of football mistakes, and only 1 of the 3 could manage the checks, protections and game plan.

that guy kept getting the opportunities over the other two.

i'll be a little surprised if we don't see similar things happen again, especially if JG looks like he's got PTSD now.

Commenting on Mauer/Shrout being questionable decision makers and JG here like...

giphy.gif

Trade Weinke for Mark Helfrich, he available?
Is it really Weinke’s fault tho? No one has been able to fix JG. He has improved him but JG just doesn’t have that presence of mind and at this point he is who he is. That said, no QB other than a Dobbs type who is an absolute magician when it comes to escaping sure sacks was going to help us that game. They would’ve been every bit the cannon fodder he was bc the type of sacks that happened weren’t the type that a normal QB can get away from.

Our OL and blocking RBs couldn’t even get hands on those defenders. QB was dead before the snap. Maybe if he holds the ball higher one of those TOS doesn’t happen but that defense was gunning for the ball. They weren’t playing for the sack but for the TO and it worked well for them

I’m not discounting a flag being thrown. It’s ridiculous that is “targeting” though. He deserved a 15 yard penalty and a warning that another hit like that would lead to an ejection but it wasn’t egregious to the point of warranting an ejection. Imo that is.

I'll say this about the flag/ejection. I get it, they want to protect players... but you can't tell me that was more dangerous than the chop block from Georgia later in the game. The rules on "safety" are not consistent enough. They should evaluate ejecting players for chop blocks like that.

I'm pretty much convinced we are going to have to have a "moneyball" type approach if we want to beat the GA's and Bama's. I don't know what it is...facilities, campus, coaches, bagmen, etc...but we just can't get close to what the top teams have in terms of personnel. The line from moneyball where the manager is talking about personnel with his scouts and says "if we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there"...seems pretty apt.

I just feel like unless we can hit on a bunch of diamond in the rough guys or turn in the GAs and Bamas for violations or something we just won't get there. A roster that is basically GA or Bama light will never match up with GA or Bama on the field.

Pocket presence. He just doesn't move in the pocket to avoid pressure. Also, I'm constantly amazed that he was considered a dual threat quarterback. He doesn't move very well.

I believe he gives his all. Never had any doubt but just stating my observations.
Not only is JG not a dual threat, He is one the least athletic QB’s in the nation. Wth were the recruiting services thinking?

Reactions: UTSuave’
I hate to say that I agree. We have a problem. It is one of two problems: it is either a problem with development, I.e. Weinke, and we need to fire him and hire someone who can develop QB’s.

Or, 2. It’s a recruiting problem and we struggle to identify QB’s. Maybe we fixed that with Chaney and Salter? Idk

We have a QB who is in his fifth year and he is highly limited, in fact, he’s probably the 2nd worst QB in the league. And yet, we have no one who can beat him out. There has to be a reason for that. At this point I’m concerned that we could have Trevor Lawrence on the bench and we’ll still start JG because reasons

You left out option 3. Pruitt is showing too much loyalty to a QB that just can't be coached.

In games he's not pressured much, JG seems to remember the proper things to do, at least to a degree. But when the pressure ramps up, it all goes out the window. He's too much in his own head and lacks the instinct that makes a great QB. Ultimately, that can't be coached.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back