Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
You left out option 3. Pruitt is showing too much loyalty to a QB that just can't be coached.

In games he's not pressured much, JG seems to remember the proper things to do, at least to a degree. But when the pressure ramps up, it all goes out the window. He's too much in his own head and lacks the instinct that makes a great QB. Ultimately, that can't be coached.

There are two types of QBs, ones that are better with no pressure and ones that will straight burn you when you blitz but can make mistakes when you sit back. JG is the epitome of the former.

Zachary is not a Vol. I don’t know about Mims, but at this point I believe he’s going to Ga
I don't like your negativity.

giphy.gif

I hate to say that I agree. We have a problem. It is one of two problems: it is either a problem with development, I.e. Weinke, and we need to fire him and hire someone who can develop QB’s.

Or, 2. It’s a recruiting problem and we struggle to identify QB’s. Maybe we fixed that with Chaney and Salter? Idk

We have a QB who is in his fifth year and he is highly limited, in fact, he’s probably the 2nd worst QB in the league. And yet, we have no one who can beat him out. There has to be a reason for that. At this point I’m concerned that we could have Trevor Lawrence on the bench and we’ll still start JG because reasons

I think it's Pruitts' old school mentality.. You go with the most senior guy who won't win you games. but won;t lose you games either.. forgetting years past, JG has done that 2 of 3 games.. He's trying to transform us into Bama of old where you win the game by running the ball and defense, which is completely ok when you're playing USC and Missouri... I love JP, but he's going to have to get with the times on offense or we'll continue to struggle against top tier teams

The fact it wasn't forcible made it seem almost like slow-mo in real time and made it all the more obvious how blatant it was.
I’ve never heard this term “forcible” in a targeting concept. Where’s that in the rules?

During the wins? Guarantano mostly. Maurer started against UGA...loss. Won the MSU game. Was losing the Kentucky game when JG took over. You were here last year right?

If you want to finish your morning off defending JG to the death, I'll step back and let you fall on your own sword. Enjoy the JG show. Me, Ill count the days till dude is audi 5000, admire his toughness but sigh in relief.

I’ve never heard this term “forcible” in a targeting concept. Where’s that in the rules?
I don't know, I just ran with what was being said. The hit was so blatant and obvious, the refs couldn't ignore it. Even if it wasn't really violent.

Reactions: hooter vol
I'm pretty much convinced we are going to have to have a "moneyball" type approach if we want to beat the GA's and Bama's. I don't know what it is...facilities, campus, coaches, bagmen, etc...but we just can't get close to what the top teams have in terms of personnel. The line from moneyball where the manager is talking about personnel with his scouts and says "if we try to play like the Yankees in here, we will lose to the Yankees out there"...seems pretty apt.

I just feel like unless we can hit on a bunch of diamond in the rough guys or turn in the GAs and Bamas for violations or something we just won't get there. A roster that is basically GA or Bama light will never match up with GA or Bama on the field.

Sadly the 90s are never coming back. Fulmer feasted in an era when recruiting was less competitive. Now all border states are locked down. We still get talent from them but not enough.

Bama and Auburn do fine splitting up their state’s talent, which isn’t overflowing like GA or FL. But they also easily recruit the South and ATL better than we do.

Our best option is to lock down TN completely and fill out the rest of the classes with kids from NC, GA, and FL.

Reactions: volfaninpa
I think it's Pruitts' old school mentality.. You go with the most senior guy who won't win you games. but won;t lose you games either.. forgetting years past, JG has done that 2 of 3 games.. He's trying to transform us into Bama of old where you win the game by running the ball and defense, which is completely ok when you're playing USC and Missouri... I love JP, but he's going to have to get with the times on offense or we'll continue to struggle against top tier teams
I think he’s trying to do that with Salter and hopefully Simpson. Those are both mobile guys.

If you want to finish your morning off defending JG to the death, I'll step back and let you fall on your own sword. Enjoy the JG show. Me, Ill count the days till dude is audi 5000, admire his toughness but sigh in relief.
This is Overreaction Monday in full effect! 😅 Where are you getting “defending to the death” out of what I’m saying? Using your tactic, I’ll falsely attribute “JG sucks screw it all...I’m smart!” to you and wish you a happy sigh. We lost to EFFIN UGA...not Georgia State. Git your head out of the oven...it’s electric!

Sadly the 90s are never coming back. Fulmer feasted in an era when recruiting was less competitive. Now all border states are locked down. We still get talent from them but not enough.

Bama and Auburn do fine splitting up their state’s talent, which isn’t overflowing like GA or FL. But they also easily recruit the South and ATL better than we do.

Our best option is to lock down TN completely and fill out the rest of the classes with kids from NC, GA, and FL.
Mac brown hurt us this year. NC was set to be ours

We can at least get to Auburn’s level I’d think and steal some of these every once in a while and not keep ending up as cellar dwellers every few years, I’d think. But I sadly agree that the 90s won’t return.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I hate to say that I agree. We have a problem. It is one of two problems: it is either a problem with development, I.e. Weinke, and we need to fire him and hire someone who can develop QB’s.

Or, 2. It’s a recruiting problem and we struggle to identify QB’s. Maybe we fixed that with Chaney and Salter? Idk

We have a QB who is in his fifth year and he is highly limited, in fact, he’s probably the 2nd worst QB in the league. And yet, we have no one who can beat him out. There has to be a reason for that. At this point I’m concerned that we could have Trevor Lawrence on the bench and we’ll still start JG because reasons
i think sometimes there's just some luck involved on the QB front.

i'll use Butch Jones as the example. we had Worley, Fergeuson and Peterman here when he got here. 2 left, one was able to walk out on his own two feet thankfully.

we recruited Dobbs, and not by choice, he was forced in to action earlier in his carreer than they wanted, and it turned out pretty good, and allowed Butch Jones time to recruit more QB's. but that wasn't the plan....outside of Dobbs, at the time, there weren't any future options....they had to hitch their wagon to him, and it worked out.....but the original plan, imo, was to have dobbs sit that year, and that way he'd of been here thru the 2017 season, allowing 2 more cycles to get more guys in the QB room, improve the compeition etc......that didn't happen cause of the early start in 14....

now pruitt didn't get very lucky with inheriting JG and QD, and Helton got Shrout late in the 18 cycle, and is gone. you bring in Maurer, and you get that 5* stud in Bailey and you've got another QB of the future in teh boat and working on another.

i don't think the QB situation is a total lack of effort, ability or whatever...they brought in CHryst, they went after JT Daniles, they had that MD transfer on campus before he left again....they've recruited the QB's we all thought they shoudl be recruiting.

i just don't think anyone expected JG to be as bad as he's been the past 3 years. not at all. and that's not helped the percepiton of the whole situaiton...cause the perception is you don't have time to recruit a QB, you need one RIGHT NOW.

Jones didn't have that issue with Dobbs...he bought himself 2 years with that guy at the helm. pruitt has not been afforded the same luxury.

Reactions: GoBigOrange86
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back