Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly the 90s are never coming back. Fulmer feasted in an era when recruiting was less competitive. Now all border states are locked down. We still get talent from them but not enough.

Bama and Auburn do fine splitting up their state’s talent, which isn’t overflowing like GA or FL. But they also easily recruit the South and ATL better than we do.

Our best option is to lock down TN completely and fill out the rest of the classes with kids from NC, GA, and FL.
I agree, the dynamics have changed so drastically that Tennessee was able to capitalize on in the 90's. It was a very good time for us, it's becoming more and more clear Nebraska and Tennessee (Texas and Florida State not far behind) are stuck in the 90's glory days to find ourselves in very similar situations currently for the foreseeable future.

I agree, the dynamics have changed so drastically that Tennessee was able to capitalize on in the 90's. It was a very good time for us, it's becoming more and more clear Nebraska and Tennessee (Texas and Florida State not far behind) are stuck in the 90's glory days to find ourselves in very similar situations currently for the foreseeable future.

Geographically we are in a bad spot too. Clemson, UGA, Bama, and Ohio State are all about 5 hours or less driving distance away. That is some awful tough competition all competing in the same area.

I think we knew we had a good chance of coming up short in this one. I think it's how it happened that has most people frustrated. If you remove the three turnovers in the second half all by JG I think we could feel slightly less frustrated. Despite being physically dominated at times we were still in that game until those three turnovers. And I don't care how bad the line protects, you cannot cough up the ball and throw picks like that. You do that and you will lose ANY game, Georgia or not.

Why do kids from Brentwood, TN hate us? I don't care where guys come from, but these are all positions of need..
View attachment 313725

Because Tennessee has become a state that rich tax evaders come to because they’re too cheap to pay a state income tax elsewhere. Neither they nor their kids have any real ties to the state. They are just here to take advantage of the free ride we give them.

I’ve never heard this term “forcible” in a targeting concept. Where’s that in the rules?

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:
  • Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
https://www.si.com/college/2018/08/21/college-football-helmet-targeting-rule-explained

Reactions: butchna
the money is completely different today than it was 30 years ago, the competitive level across the board, top to bottom is entirely different than it was back then.

everybody has money for coaches and facilities now due to the TV deals. so your doormats that you used to count on, aren't doormats anymore. and the middle of the SEC is capable of beating anyone on a "any given saturday"....and the top of the conference is as good as any teams have been.....in the history of college football.

i mean seriously...What Alabama has done the past 12-15 years is in the "all time" category of college football. What UGA is doing in recruiting is mirroring what Bama did in the mid 00's...CLemson is doing things that have never been done in the ACC, making waht FSU did in the 90's look like kids play.

that's not to say we can't ever.....it is to say that getting back to the level where you can compete year in and year out at that level is much, much harder today than it's ever been....aTm thought they could buy their way in, and outside of Saturday's game, they've been awful against top level compeition. LSU caught lightning in a bottle, and it's a good thing...cause they're no where near that level right now.

Auburn....nope.

FL...well, if FL was what FL thought they were, they don't lose that game Saturday.
(i say that on both of these programs believeing they're both closer than we are, so tifwiw).

bottom line....it's hard. it's made harder when you've had a 15 year period like we have, where you have more losing seasons than bowl wins....and more head coaches than wins over your top 2 rivals.....

and Saturday was a reminder of that, and that sucks for us as fans. it sucks for the team and coaches.

we find ourselves saying it every year..."we do still, in fact, have a long ways to go", and will continue to, until we finally beat somebody of consequence.

the good news....and this is good news....it wasn't all that long ago that we not only were we getting drubbed by fl, ga, and bama....we were in the middle of a lsoing streak to MO, VAndy, the SECw in general and USCe too...............we have at least put ourselves in to position to see those streaks end and start a couple of winning streaks again against those programs.

so despite the lack of progress at the top....progress has been made at the bottom and in the middle.....

how long does it take to take the next step? could take it this year still.

Because Tennessee has become a state that rich tax evaders come to because they’re too cheap to pay a state income tax elsewhere. Neither they nor their kids have any real ties to the state. They are just here to take advantage of the free ride we give them.

"Yeah lets get us a state income tax!"

-nobody

Targeting does not solely occur when players initiate helmet-to-helmet contact. It's defined as occurring when a player "takes aim at an opponent for purposes of attacking with forcible contact that goes beyond making a legal tackle or a legal block or playing the ball." Instances include, but are not limited to:
  • Launch--a player leaving his feet to attack an opponent by an upward and forward thrust of the body to make forcible contact in the head or neck area.
  • A crouch followed by an upward and forward thrust to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area, even though one or both feet are still on the ground.
  • Leading with helmet, shoulder forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack with forcible contact at the head or neck area.
  • Lowering the head before attacking by initiating forcible contact with the crown of his helmet.
https://www.si.com/college/2018/08/21/college-football-helmet-targeting-rule-explained
Didn’t know all this...thanks.

Reactions: Crazy Ivan
the only part of the game i saw was about a 10 minute stretch in the 3rd qtr...and i got to see a handfull of offensive plays.

i saw a stretch run to the boundary for a tackle at the LOS
i saw a WR screen behind the los for a tackle for loss
and a jet sweep to Hyatt for like a 2-3 yard gain.

i said it last week, going sideways against this defense is not gonna work. too fast...Auburn couldn't do it, not sure why we'd think we could.

now i don't know how much more of that was prevelant in the game, but as i watched those plays i did think to myself "how the heck are we winning if that's what we're doing?"

the next time i saw anything about the game, we were down 37-21, and i saw the final later that night...and then promptly deleted my DVR. :)
UGA was selling out and Chaney tried to use the reverse and screen pass to Hyatt as a way to use their aggressiveness against them. It didn’t work, but I didn’t mind the play calls. 2-3 yard gain on the reverse was one of our better run plays of the game 🥴

There is a reason Chaney doesn't call any passing plays over the middle.

It's a huge part of the playbook that they don't go to.
...JG
...no real physical pressence from a WR or TE standpoint....

we did throw seams, and accross the middle with DWA and Jennings...not a ton, but enough.

this year, i honeslty don't know that i've see any...or any completed anyway? i think that has to be a personnel decision mostly, but also becaue JG hasn't been great with throwin the ball to the spot where the WR will be....

put those two together, and there's no real reason to do it. lol.

"Yeah lets get us a state income tax!"

-nobody
The standard 10 percent off sale offered by retailers is laughable in this state because it means you’re paying full price minus the state tax. You’re getting taxed more overall but it’s at the point of sale.

During the wins? Guarantano mostly. Maurer started against UGA...loss. Won the MSU game. Was losing the Kentucky game when JG took over. You were here last year right?
Just thinking about last years UGA game. Same thing happened to us in that one. It was close until the second half when our offense did nothing just like our offense this year.

Reactions: butchna
...JG
...no real physical pressence from a WR or TE standpoint....

we did throw seams, and accross the middle with DWA and Jennings...not a ton, but enough.

this year, i honeslty don't know that i've see any...or any completed anyway? i think that has to be a personnel decision mostly, but also becaue JG hasn't been great with throwin the ball to the spot where the WR will be....

put those two together, and there's no real reason to do it. lol.
I would like to see them get Fant the ball more. He is good enough to get us some good yards on the ground. He was a RB after all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back