Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't get what Chaney is supposed to call when there is zero run or pass blocking. Quick passes, jet sweeps are obvious yeah and we tried some and they were useless. Their D is too fast for that horizontal stuff. Great vs B1G teams.
Yeah our main problem was that we couldn't keep them honest. Shut down the run game and dared JG to beat them. If they feared or even respected him as a passer, it would've been a tad easier to run on them. They did whoop our OLine pretty bad though.

And when I say make JG beat them, I don't mean just throwing bombs, but also intermediate and quick passes and recognizing where blitzes and pressures were coming from.

Injury imo. Coaches don't seem to keen on playing Shrout and Maurer and they keep saying Bailey isn't ready so

That's possible. Since there isn't an 'easy' stretch of games in this season, why not make the change this week against UK or wait until the bye? I still can't believe no other QBs have even gotten into a game yet this season 3 weeks in. It's mind boggling.

I don't get what Chaney is supposed to call when there is zero run or pass blocking. Quick passes, jet sweeps are obvious yeah and we tried some and they were useless. Their D is too fast for that horizontal stuff. Great vs B1G teams.
You're absolutely right that he was in an impossible situation, but 3 dives up the gut would have been better than the options that were being tried.

I think we can beat KY when any of our current QBs. However, I would love to see a gun slinger type QB start this week. IT would give them much needed reps for the Bama game. Bama’s secondary is suspect after seeing that Ole Miss game. I think with the right QB we can put up a lot of points on Bama and our defense can do a much better job than Ole Miss did.

That's possible. Since there isn't an 'easy' stretch of games in this season, why not make the change this week against UK or wait until the bye? I still can't believe no other QBs have even gotten into a game yet this season 3 weeks in. It's mind boggling.
I'm surprised as well. I thought we would see one against Mizzou. Im guessing the coaches either want JG to get the work or don't trust the others. Maybe they'll give JG a chance against Bama and see if he does any better if the other issues are fixed.

I think we can beat KY when any of our current QBs. However, I would love to see a gun slinger type QB start this week. IT would give them much needed reps for the Bama game. Bama’s secondary is suspect after seeing that Ole Miss game. I think with the right QB we can put up a lot of points on Bama and our defense can do a much better job than Ole Miss did.
Yeah their secondary has actually been fairly suspect each game this season...I still think they beat UGA in a close game though. They'll get just enough pressure on Stetson Bennett throughout the game and Bama has a pretty lethal passing game which should help open the run for them.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
Last possession vs mizzou is the only one and yeah they could have then though it wouldn't have been but handing off imo.

The standard 10 percent off sale offered by retailers is laughable in this state because it means you’re paying full price minus the state tax. You’re getting taxed more overall but it’s at the point of sale.
I hate to break it to you but TN sales tax isn't all that much more than other states with income tax.

The standard 10 percent off sale offered by retailers is laughable in this state because it means you’re paying full price minus the state tax. You’re getting taxed more overall but it’s at the point of sale.

Give me a high sales tax over an income tax any day. I can at least control my own spending.

Wife’s mastered IABATA. They’re paying us down here in Texas to buy their crap. State income tax is for commies!
You pay the taxman with other taxes including sales. No one escapes it. It’s just how they get it out of you and who gets stuck with the highest burden.

But tbh. IDGAF enough to debate taxes. I was just stating why they are here and have no ties to us.

I can see why they think Salter is the guy next year. You cannot beat the elite teams in college football without a QB who can run. Anyone who beat Bama when their defense was elite, had a mobile QB. Same thing with UGA right now. Corrall for Ole miss kept broken plays alive by feeling pressure and escaping the pocket to extend the play. He made a few first downs by just running to help his team out. This element is killing us against elite teams. I know Maurer was throwing a lot of ill advised throws last year, but we sure could have used his mobility against UGA. I would love to give him the first shot again. If he can clean up some of his decisions, he could be an X factor for the offense.

i think sometimes there's just some luck involved on the QB front.

i'll use Butch Jones as the example. we had Worley, Fergeuson and Peterman here when he got here. 2 left, one was able to walk out on his own two feet thankfully.

we recruited Dobbs, and not by choice, he was forced in to action earlier in his carreer than they wanted, and it turned out pretty good, and allowed Butch Jones time to recruit more QB's. but that wasn't the plan....outside of Dobbs, at the time, there weren't any future options....they had to hitch their wagon to him, and it worked out.....but the original plan, imo, was to have dobbs sit that year, and that way he'd of been here thru the 2017 season, allowing 2 more cycles to get more guys in the QB room, improve the compeition etc......that didn't happen cause of the early start in 14....

now pruitt didn't get very lucky with inheriting JG and QD, and Helton got Shrout late in the 18 cycle, and is gone. you bring in Maurer, and you get that 5* stud in Bailey and you've got another QB of the future in teh boat and working on another.

i don't think the QB situation is a total lack of effort, ability or whatever...they brought in CHryst, they went after JT Daniles, they had that MD transfer on campus before he left again....they've recruited the QB's we all thought they shoudl be recruiting.

i just don't think anyone expected JG to be as bad as he's been the past 3 years. not at all. and that's not helped the percepiton of the whole situaiton...cause the perception is you don't have time to recruit a QB, you need one RIGHT NOW.

Jones didn't have that issue with Dobbs...he bought himself 2 years with that guy at the helm. pruitt has not been afforded the same luxury.

Absolutely agree. If Butch never has Dobbs, he’s fired after 2015 with another Justin Worley type QB. Pruitt is winning with someone arguably worse than Worley. That’s one positive way to look at it.

I can see why they think Salter is the guy next year. You cannot beat the elite teams in college football without a QB who can run. Anyone who beat Bama when their defense was elite, had a mobile QB. Same thing with UGA right now. Corrall for Ole miss kept broken plays alive by feeling pressure and escaping the pocket to extend the play. He made a few first downs by just running to help his team out. This element is killing us against elite teams. I know Maurer was throwing a lot of ill advised throws last year, but we sure could have used his mobility against UGA. I would love to give him the first shot again. If he can clean up some of his decisions, he could be an X factor for the offense.
Darn it. He threw an incompletion in practice last week. Can’t play him. Have to go with JG 🤷‍♂️

You pay the taxman with other taxes including sales. No one escapes it. It’s just how they get it out of you and who gets stuck with the highest burden.
I’ve lived in states other than Tennessee and Texas. No way I want to go back to another hand in my pocket. I know the difference.

Last edited:
I’ve lived in other states other than Tennessee and Texas. No way I want to go back to another hand in my pocket. I know the difference.
Like I said earlier, most states with state income taxes have state tax rates at 4-6% I would say they average 5.5% but that's a guess. Tennessee's is 7%.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I don't think you need a guy who can run, simply a guy who can make a man miss in the pocket. You don't need a ton of mobility to extend plays, you just have to know how to move in the pocket and when to leave the pocket. Most of that is instinctual (you know, the sort of things you only get to see when you put someone in a real game situation).

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back