Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can see why they think Salter is the guy next year. You cannot beat the elite teams in college football without a QB who can run. Anyone who beat Bama when their defense was elite, had a mobile QB. Same thing with UGA right now. Corrall for Ole miss kept broken plays alive by feeling pressure and escaping the pocket to extend the play. He made a few first downs by just running to help his team out. This element is killing us against elite teams. I know Maurer was throwing a lot of ill advised throws last year, but we sure could have used his mobility against UGA. I would love to give him the first shot again. If he can clean up some of his decisions, he could be an X factor for the offense.
He won’t be ready for this offense in his first season. Cedar Hill is very basic and athlete driven. And I disagree that a quarterback has to be a running threat. He needs to recognize coverages and throw the ball accurately...that’ll never be extinct.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
Because Tennessee has become a state that rich tax evaders come to because they’re too cheap to pay a state income tax elsewhere. Neither they nor their kids have any real ties to the state. They are just here to take advantage of the free ride we give them.

And Nashville is becoming a melting pot like Atlanta with transplants from all over the US. It’s just the prospect of a sprawling city. It’s less homegrown kids there than it used to be.

And Nashville is becoming a melting pot like Atlanta with transplants from all over the US. It’s just the prospect of a sprawling city. It’s less homegrown kids there than it used to be.
And it will only get bigger. We’re set up for massive change. Recruiting wise we will have to find a way to make ties but we are not going to have a home town/team advantage with a lot of these kids.

I agree with you to an extent. But when your OL is being humiliated like that, it’s up to your OC to do something to help out your offense and we didn’t get that.

How many times did we completely spread out Georgia? How many times did we did move the pocket or do a sprint out? How many times did we go split backs and do max protect? Did we do any tunnel screens in the middle to slow those mid blitzes? Did we do any bunches or stacks on the outside to help our WRs get off press?

I’m honestly done bashing JG. He plays hard and does things right. He’s just not that good. It is what it is. We’re not the only team who doesn’t have someone special under center. It shouldn’t mean we get 14 points off 50/50 balls and that’s it.

I think the OL and our play callers deserve the majority of the criticisms.

Of course they deserve some blame. Everyone did a crappy job, however, I'm talking about the turnovers. If all things remained the same except for those turnovers I could live with being mad at the coaches and line and move on. Other people playing bad should not make you lose the ball three times in a half. Pressure or no pressure there is NO EXCUSE for losing the ball three times. QBs know there are people coming for them. It's not a surprise. I don't recall other teams' qbs fumbling every time we come in hot and get a get a sack. It's supposed to be rare. Some people get yanked off the offensive side of the ball forever for losing the ball a couple times in two or three games. As horrible as our play calling and blocking were and as bad as we were being physically beaten we were still in that game but for those three turnovers. And I'll tell you right now, if we dominate a game in every way but then turn the ball over three times in the second half like that we'll lose most ANY game, Vandy or whoever. If they're going to stick with JG, which they are, some damn body better teach that guy to throw it away or take a knee immediately. Venting over. Now I'm going to stop.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
If you were to end up with the same record at the end of the year with JG as with Shrout/Mauer/Bailey or say a one game difference and then because of your foresight you gain 3 wins next year because of the experience gained...it's pretty obvious. I think about everybody on here would take one less win this year for 3 more next year.
Except there is absolutely no way at all to find out. You play the people who will help you win the next game. Simple. Simple.

Reactions: barrylee
Imo the QB situation is simple.
The mizzu game gave JG a leash that wasn’t going to be tightened in the gA game no matter what.

And the first performance made it even longer.

That leash is now shortened Slightly but it’s going to take a MSU type performance against Kentucky to see another QB or an injury.

Reactions: scvolfan7

That reminds me of what an Alabama fan said about him last year. “I wish my daddy loved me as much as Pruitt loves JG.”

Pruitt has benched him before. We had 4 different starters last season. So I don’t think he is afraid if change per se but for some reason coaches have very little faith in the QB room as a whole. How bad are the other guys at practice? Do they really shut the playbook down that much?

Imo the QB situation is simple.
The mizzu game gave JG a leash that wasn’t going to be tightened in the gA game no matter what.

And the first performance made it even longer.

That leash is now shortened Slightly but it’s going to take a MSU type performance against Kentucky to see another QB or an injury.
We will not win big football games with a QB on a short leash and restricted playbook.

We are not going to win the SEC this season. Now is the time to work on things for next season and beyond. It is an unexpected opportunity to play young guys in games. For those, including the coaching staff, who are more concerned about that not being fair to the upper classmen, they are wrong. The extra year of eligibility this year that the NCAA granted changed everything for the betterment of the current players. This could be our get it together year if Pruitt figures it out.

Basically it means play your best young talent meaningful snaps in every single game. You get to have tryouts on the field in games. Pruitt has done that in some position groups. But not at QB or RB. Three games in - no Shrout, Maurer, or Bailey. No power RB's even in jumbo packages. Seems like those position groups might be important to develop in live action, but I guess that's just me wanting to win too much starting in 2021.
You play who you think gives you the best chance to win this game. If we lose a game or two more, we don't know how it will impact the psyche of the team or recruiting. Coach Pruitt is paid to win football games. He is correct to do everything in his power to win the current game.

Define “big football games”?

JGs goes 7-3 and this is one hell of a year imo. If that doesn’t fit your criteria I agree we won’t.
I know we won't compete with Bama or be able to score enough to beat Florida. We will struggle with A&M who and Auburn without a balance offense and a QB we trust to throw the ball over the middle of the field.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back