Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
We as Tennessee fans needed a reality check. Let’s not forget we were literally in the Vandy tier when Pruitt took over. The past calendar year Pruitt has had us on the A&M/Auburn tier. We’re solidly upper middle of the pack in our division, but don’t have a realistic shot to win it over Georgia/Florida just like those teams don’t have a shot over Bama/LSU (generally).

This isn’t to say it’s what we should expect long-term, but also let’s not understate the progress we’ve made. Like it or not, as a program we are at a distinct recruiting disadvantage against Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida and probably A&M. Unfortunately we have to play 3 of these every year.

We can get there with top 10 recruiting classes and elite qb play. I feel like Pruitt has put us in a position to continue to close the gap with his recruiting. Now we just have to hope one of these qb’s pans out. I’m not a JG hater by any means, but realistically he can’t take us to elite levels , and likely neither can Shrout or he’d have the job. Hopefully Maurer/Bailey/Salter can get is over the hump.

Edit: Sorry, corrected typos. At the beach all day in Bulldog/Gator country and naturally one has to drink to cope.

Last edited:
This all-conference schedule will forever affect how we look at CJP's record vs his predecessors. The best option seems to be looking at conference records to have an apples to apples comparison.

Past 3 coaches through 19 SEC games:

Dooley: 4W 15L (21%)
CBJ: 6W 13L (32%)
Pruitt: 9W 10L (47%) - and arguably the best the East has been during this decade.

This all-conference schedule will forever affect how we look at CJP's record vs his predecessors. The best option seems to be looking at conference records to have an apples to apples comparison.

Pruitt: 9W 10L (47%) - and arguably the best the East has been during this decade.
And inherited arguably the worst situation. Don’t get me wrong, I know all of them were bad...but I think a pretty strong argument could be made that his was the worst.

1602535855106.gif

You also look at games where we won when we weren't the favorite. Last year had several, but specifically the Auburn and UK games in 2018.

Butch Jones couldn't beat UGA, UF, or Bama in his first 3 years, but the close outcomes had us believing we were getting there.

Reactions: Devo182
We as Tennessee fans needed a reality check. Let’s not forget we were literally in the Vandy tier when Pruitt took over. The past calendar year Pruitt has had us on the A&M/Auburn tier. We’re solidly upper middle of the Pack on our division, but don’t have a realistic shot to win it over Georgia/Florida just like those teams don’t have a shot over Bama/LSU (generally).

This isn’t to say it’s what we should expect long-term, but also let’s not interstate the progress we’ve made. Like it or not, as a program we are at a distinct recruiting disadvantage against Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida and probably A&M. Unfortunately we have to play 3 of these every year.

We can get there with top 10 reception if classes and elite an play. I feel like Pruitt has put us in a position to continue to close the gap with his recruiting. Now we just have to hope one of these qb’s pans out. I’m not a JG hater by any means, but realistically he can’t take us to elite levels , and likely neither can Shrout or he’d have the job. Hopefully Maurer/Bailey/Salter can get is over the hump.
If you think we're in a tier with Texas A&M and Auburn, then you still need a reality check.

And inherited arguably the worst situation. Don’t get me wrong, I know all of them were bad...but I think a pretty strong argument could be made that his was the worst.

I was just disappointed in the blowout losses to end the year in 2018. I always thought the rosters that Dooley and Butch inherited were two of the worst in my lifetime. But Pruitt has certainly improved the program, and development (aside from QB) has been very good.

Reactions: SmokinBob
I was just disappointed in the blowout losses to end the year in 2018. I always thought the rosters that Dooley and Butch inherited were two of the worst in my lifetime. But Pruitt has certainly improved the program, and development (aside from QB) has been very good.
Yeah, they ran out of gas in 2018. Not sure if we can put that on coaching. They had, what, 60-something scholarship athletes that year?

We as Tennessee fans needed a reality check. Let’s not forget we were literally in the Vandy tier when Pruitt took over. The past calendar year Pruitt has had us on the A&M/Auburn tier. We’re solidly upper middle of the Pack on our division, but don’t have a realistic shot to win it over Georgia/Florida just like those teams don’t have a shot over Bama/LSU (generally).

This isn’t to say it’s what we should expect long-term, but also let’s not interstate the progress we’ve made. Like it or not, as a program we are at a distinct recruiting disadvantage against Alabama, LSU, Georgia and Florida and probably A&M. Unfortunately we have to play 3 of these every year.

We can get there with top 10 reception if classes and elite an play. I feel like Pruitt has put us in a position to continue to close the gap with his recruiting. Now we just have to hope one of these qb’s pans out. I’m not a JG hater by any means, but realistically he can’t take us to elite levels , and likely neither can Shrout or he’d have the job. Hopefully Maurer/Bailey/Salter can get is over the hump.
If you think we're in a tier with Texas A&M and Auburn, then you still need a reality check.
2019 record...ATM 8-5, AU 9-4, UT 8-5

2020 record...ATM 2-1, AU 2-1, UT 2-1

Texas A&M's losses last year were to the #1, #8, #1, #4 and #2 teams in the nation. Tennessee lost to Georgia State and BYU. We also squeaked out close wins against Kentucky, Missouri and Indiana.

Texas A&M also just beat Florida. Come talk to me about this comparison the next time UT beats Florida.

1602536426594.png

Last edited:
Reactions: rjd970
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back