Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hugh to SEC spots "upper tier jobs"

1. Auburn (feel like they are the most likely to fire their coach this season)
2. UT (we're lower because still not sold we fire Pruitt this year)
3. LSU (They did just pay O, but also fired Les after a 2-2 start after a 9 win season)

That's probably the only 3 potential upper tier jobs in the SEC to open up this season or next. Bama/Florida/Georgia are set for awhile (unless their HCs retire or head to the NFL), A&M has big money in Jimbo and he's winning there. Ole Miss just hired Lane and I doubt they'd want to bring Hugh back in anyway.
If Coach O gets fired it'll be for cause over this latest scandal. They may pay him something to go away, but it won't be a full buyout.

Reactions: MoCo_Vol
I agree.

But for the sake of the argument, Freeze is off the board and Pruitt is 3-7.

What's your move?
That’s tough. I think I give Pruitt another year but tell him to replace Chaney and see who comes available next season.

Freeze is a sure thing. Napier and some of these others aren’t. Neither is Fickell and he probably wouldn’t come here anyway.

So we fire Pruitt and hire one of these up and comers and most likely we are right here again with a worse roster in 3 years. I’d rather give Pruitt the Mark Stoops path than do that and see if he can get it figured out than to do that.

What counts as "upper tier"? The only school I consider "upper tier" in the SEC currently that might have an opening is LSU. I'd consider Auburn and ourselves as middle tier, and I might be overrating us atm. With what Stoops has done there, KY is probably middle tier as well.
"Upper tier" in terms of branding. The upper tier SEC jobs I'd consider to be A&M, LSU, Alabama, Auburn, Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia.

Give Pruitt another year. Period.

If he flops the next season. Then go get freeze even if he goes to South Carolina. That’s why SC doesn’t want to hire him, or at least are hesitant because they know he will bail the second Tennessee opens up

So much crap going on, so I think instead of adding my two **its to the crapstorm (at least in the RF) I will just post pics of cool things..a lot of folks seem to enjoy them, so I hope to balance out my effect on VN by reminding us of the beauty and amazing wonders in the world around us..

This one is from a cool quirky little Utah state park waaaay out in the middle of nowhere..Goblin Valley

20201118_110236.jpg

There's absolutely no way LSU moves on from O unless he's still struggling in 2022. The only SEC jobs really in play for Freeze are Auburn and Tennessee.

You're high as a kite if you don't think LSU won't fire O for sub 500 -this- season. Dude lost to Mississippi State & Missouri, both with first year HCs. Still has to face A&M, Bama, & Florida. Not to mention Arkansas/Ole Miss both could beat him too based on how bad his defense looks.

Aranda, & Brady aren't there anymore and they were carrying the bucket for O. He's not a great HC, just managed to hire some fantastic assistants (who have all moved on now)

So much crap going on, so I think instead of adding my two **its to the crapstorm (at least in the RF) I will just post pics of cool things..a lot of folks seem to enjoy them, so I hope to balance out my effect on VN by reminding us of the beauty and amazing wonders in the world around us..

This one is from a cool quirky little Utah state park waaaay out in the middle of nowhere..Goblin Valley

View attachment 323863
Um....,those look like.....nvm

I agree.

What's your move?

1. Call Petersen and make him tell me no (longest of long shots, but I wanted him to be the first call since 2008).
2. Call Sarkisian.
3. Call Marrone.
4. Keep Pruitt, but clearly outline what he needs to address in order to keep his job beyond next year.
5. Interview committee.

View attachment 323863
EECAEB87-41AB-45D0-9AC0-5358EC1EBED3.jpeg

Cooke city, Montana.

Give Pruitt another year. Period.

If he flops the next season. Then go get freeze even if he goes to South Carolina. That’s why SC doesn’t want to hire him, or at least are hesitant because they know he will bail the second Tennessee opens up
Again, buyout. Any contract with SC would have a huge buyout for him leaving. His Liberty buyout most likely has provisions that a contract with SC would not have.

That’s tough. I think I give Pruitt another year but tell him to replace Chaney and see who comes available next season.

Freeze is a sure thing. Napier and some of these others aren’t. Neither is Fickell and he probably wouldn’t come here anyway.

So we fire Pruitt and hire one of these up and comers and most likely we are right here again with a worse roster in 3 years. I’d rather give Pruitt the Mark Stoops path than do that and see if he can get it figured out than to do that.
I can certainly understand this thinking, although Tennessee fans won't spend the money on season tickets, bowl trips, donations, etc. the way Kentucky fans have on the "Stoops path."

The bar for minimum success is just different.

Agreed, Fickell is in Ohio doing big things. He likely only leaves for Ohio State (and Day may not be there as long as people assume, bet his name pops up sooner rather than later for NFL jobs)

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
I agree.

What's your move?
My move? Well, I’m certain Pruitt isn’t going to work out here so I pull the plug regardless and find the best available coach to replace him.

But Freeze wants this job so I’d hire him.

You're high as a kite if you don't think LSU won't fire O for sub 500 -this- season. Dude lost to Mississippi State & Missouri, both with first year HCs. Still has to face A&M, Bama, & Florida. Not to mention Arkansas/Ole Miss both could beat him too based on how bad his defense looks.

Aranda, & Brady aren't there anymore and they were carrying the bucket for O. He's not a great HC, just managed to hire some fantastic assistants (who have all moved on now)
And the current scandal would allow them to fire him for cause, negating a buyout.

Like talking to a wall. More likely doesn’t mean he is the stronger candidate. Not sure why that’s hard to grasp. Back to just reading instead of participating.

It's preferred if you're this uppity over someone disagreeing with you on a forum... we all have opinions, yours could just be "I don't think Napier is a stronger candidate for TN than Freeze" that's completely fine, hell next time just say that. Don't put me on the spot to try and explain my opinion when you're obviously not going to agree with it regardless of what I say anyway that's you being the wall, not me.

Um....,those look like.....nvm

hqdefault.jpg

Johnson agrees.

Reactions: Ulysees E. McGill

He has a gigantic buyout courtesy of his new contract. Fans are impatient, but they aren't that impatient. If they're like this again next year, then yes, they might fire him.

If he's done in this year, it'd be because of this scandal with Guice and others, not on-field performance.

My move? Well, I’m certain Pruitt isn’t going to work out here so I pull the plug regardless and find the best available coach to replace him.

But Freeze wants this job so I’d hire him.

This is how I feel.

Pruitt appears to have lost the team and lost this staff to a certain degree, so I don't see how you can keep him if we're sitting at 3-7 and no closer to Florida, Alabama and Georgia than we were three years ago.

So, regardless of whether or not Freeze is available, I think you have to make a move. Even if you're just playing musical chairs and promoting Tee or Ansley.

I can't see money being much of a factor given that the buyout doesn't drop that much from one year to the next. It would be $13M today, something like $9M a year from now.

If Fulmer keeps Pruitt, it has to be because he thinks this year is an aberration and we will compete for the East next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back