Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
My move? Well, I’m certain Pruitt isn’t going to work out here so I pull the plug regardless and find the best available coach to replace him.

But Freeze wants this job so I’d hire him.
I don't fire him unless you have Freeze lined up....like ready to walk him on stage at the Stokely Family Media Center the day after you fire Pruitt.

I can certainly understand this thinking, although Tennessee fans won't spend the money on season tickets, bowl trips, donations, etc. the way Kentucky fans have on the "Stoops path."

The bar for minimum success is just different.
That is true. But who do we hire if not Freeze? Again, our candidate list based upon what we've been the past 15 years wouldn't be good. I think our best bet would be Napier, and if another big job opens up, he'd take that one over us. It's Freeze. They should do it immediately following the season.

Why not just promote Eddie Gran if you're going to go with a coordinator with no HC experience, but can recruit....plus, Gran has shown to be a better coordinator than Tee.
Recruiting.... And Tee is still respected in the coaching world. He may not be the best OC, but he is a good wide receiver coach. Plus, I think he is better suited to be a head coach than coordinator. Hire good assistants and let them do their jobs. And you worry about recruiting and motivation. Tee is good at those things. I wish we would have given him a shot before Pruitt because it is turning out to be a bad hire. Who knows what Tee could have been and I doubt anyone wants to give him a **** right now when we need a proven head coach the most to get us out of the dumpster.

I don't fire him unless you have Freeze lined up....like ready to walk him on stage at the Stokely Family Media Center the day after you fire Pruitt.
pruitt and freeze should be able to shake hands as they walk by each other on the way to/from the podium..............................

He has a gigantic buyout courtesy of his new contract. Fans are impatient, but they aren't that impatient. If they're like this again next year, then yes, they might fire him.

If he's done in this year, it'd be because of this scandal with Guice and others, not on-field performance.

LSU hasn't had a sub 60% winning season since 1999...so when he finishes near the bottom of the West with the Scandal going on I think he's in hotter water than even Gus at the end of this season.

Freeze isn’t taking any job until the season is over. Coaches that have jobs don’t take new ones during the season.
More reason to keep Pruitt through early signing day and then make a move. I actually think this is what will happen and they will try to calm the masses until ESD. Then unload.

He has a gigantic buyout courtesy of his new contract. Fans are impatient, but they aren't that impatient. If they're like this again next year, then yes, they might fire him.

If he's done in this year, it'd be because of this scandal with Guice and others, not on-field performance.
Or a combination of both. A scandal like this allows them to cut their losses without paying a huge buyout. The stated reason for firing is not always the real reason, or only reason. If all they had was results on the field, he's probably safe, but if you can fire someone for underperforming on the field AND you have a legit reason to negate the buyout, that can influence decisions.

What counts as "upper tier"? The only school I consider "upper tier" in the SEC currently that might have an opening is LSU. I'd consider Auburn and ourselves as middle tier, and I might be overrating us atm. With what Stoops has done there, KY is probably middle tier as well.
Kentucky is no where near middle tier. They are a terrible football program. Just caught some breaks with the East being bad.

More reason to keep Pruitt through early signing day and then make a move. I actually think this is what will happen and they will try to calm the masses until ESD. Then unload.
we could still be playing games during the ESP.........

i think, if there is anything to happen, it's all very much in TBD status.

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
This is how I feel.

Pruitt appears to have lost the team and lost this staff to a certain degree, so I don't see how you can keep him if we're sitting at 3-7 and no closer to Florida, Alabama and Georgia than we were three years ago.

So, regardless of whether or not Freeze is available, I think you have to make a move. Even if you're just playing musical chairs and promoting Tee or Ansley.

I can't see money being much of a factor given that the buyout doesn't drop that much from one year to the next. It would be $13M today, something like $9M a year from now.

If Fulmer keeps Pruitt, it has to be because he thinks this year is an aberration and we will compete for the East next season.
You don't fire Pruitt to promote from within.

Exactly. This is the easiest hire ever. It is so obvious only Tennessee could screw it up.
wait. $13 mill buyout with $40 mill loss, +$4 mill in other salaries before you even get to Botch's remaining $660.

Cheater makes $3 at Liberty. That means we'd have to go $5, plus we'd owe Liberty and his staff.

$40 million. Not happening.

Give Pruitt another year. Period.

If he flops the next season. Then go get freeze even if he goes to South Carolina. That’s why SC doesn’t want to hire him, or at least are hesitant because they know he will bail the second Tennessee opens up
And further sink into the mud... Negative. If you can hire a proven head coach, you do it. We are regressing and fast. We are no where near competing with our rivals than we were three years ago.

wait. $13 mill buyout with $40 mill loss, +$4 mill in other salaries before you even get to Botch's remaining $660.

Cheater makes $3 at Liberty. That means we'd have to go $5, plus we'd owe Liberty and his staff.

200.gif

I think there could be legit smoke to Stoops to Iowa. First glance is like "well that's not really an upgrade." But it really is in ways. Stoops has done great things for UK standards, I'd even argue hes surpassed what was thought to be the ceiling. He had a 10 win season. He's beaten UT twice, who was the last UK coach to do that? Lol. Even though has raised the ceiling some, there is still a ceiling. Whereas with Iowa, it's very realistic for him to actually play for Big 10 titles and Rose Bowls. Probably never gets by Ohio State, but Rose Bowls are still nice.

Negotiate Pruitt's down, some of this will be offset when guys take other jobs, especially when Pruitt is making a mil per at bama next year as DC. We have money. Do it.

Reactions: UTSuave’
If you're Fulmer, and you believe Pruitt is micro-managing Chaney in such a way that it is detrimental to the team, and you don't think there is a group of potential outside hires worth pursuing, you might.
Look, you were right about Pruitt not being the guy from the jump, even though I gave you a hard time about it. You are wrong here. Hiring Tee or Ansley as HC would be crazy. As much as we love Tee, the fans wouldn't support that. And it would be another guy learning on the job. We cannot afford that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back