Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
@SpringBokVol @HankHill if this summer action with Pruitt is this bad then why extend him?
I think I’ve said it before but I’m fairly sure the extension is being overblown to some degree. I think it’s one of the retention bonus extensions written into a contract type of situations. Optics of current situation make it look worse than it did at first

Reactions: beneVOLence
This man is begging us to hire him

tenor.gif

Corners, safeties, edge rushers, ILB, QB (depth), WR.... I mean no big deal.
If I were to prioritize, my top 3 would be corners, edge rusher, safety help....in that order. We have depth at ILB that has yet to see the field. Hopefully, they'll be ready to play next year. QB all depends on what the guys on our roster do. I think HB is the starter next year. If Shrout stays, he wouldn't be a bad number 2. Then you have Salter. Sure, another QB would be nice, but I think help elsewhere is more important. Hopefully the WRs we signed last year can step up and fill any void at that position.

Our secondary is our weakest unit IMO, which is ironic given the reputations of our HC and DC. And we have to find someone that can put consistent pressure on the opposing QB.

Fan run radio is garbage

Ainge wouldn't be so bad but he acts like a complete horses ass to anyone who doesn't agree with him

Basilio is good for entertainment purposes but he isn't everyone's cup of tea

Jimmy is just Jimmy, he's OK but don't expect him to go out on a limb
I think it really just depends on what my mood is for what show. After a big loss and i'm ready to fire our HC i usually turn into Russel Smith on fan run or Basilio because they don't sit around like everything is fine and we're making progress. If i just want more of an unbiased view i usually will turn on something like the VQ podcast just for info. Ainge is so much of a sunshine pumper i just can't listen to his show... Pretty clear he's pumping out the company narrative for them (which is fine if you want to hear only the good stuff and positive spin on things).

I listen to to it all for entertainment anyways i don't understand why anyone would listen to these shows thinking they're getting 100% or even 60% insider facts, they make more money stoking the fire and i understand that before ever tuning in.

If I were to prioritize, my top 3 would be corners, edge rusher, safety help....in that order. We have depth at ILB that has yet to see the field. Hopefully, they'll be ready to play next year. QB all depends on what the guys on our roster do. I think HB is the starter next year. If Shrout stays, he wouldn't be a bad number 2. Then you have Salter. Sure, another QB would be nice, but I think help elsewhere is more important. Hopefully the WRs we signed last year can step up and fill any void at that position.

Our secondary is our weakest unit IMO, which is ironic given the reputations of our HC and DC. And we have to find someone that can put consistent pressure on the opposing QB.
Any secondary is going to look bad when you get no pressure. I actually think we have some edge rushers (need more), but they are not being played or were moved. Crouch is good. Joseph is good. Both moved. Harrison should be playing more. Johnson is average, stop playing him. Banks would even be better suited at OLB. Where is Eason? I think we need an ILB next to Too Too. Hopefully Lewis (of he comes) or Willis can fill that void.

Fan run radio is garbage

Ainge wouldn't be so bad but he acts like a complete horses ass to anyone who doesn't agree with him

Basilio is good for entertainment purposes but he isn't everyone's cup of tea

Jimmy is just Jimmy, he's OK but don't expect him to go out on a limb
I love Basilio. I take what he says with a grain of salt, but I think he is the most relatable of all the radio personalities.

I think it really just depends on what my mood is for what show. After a big loss and i'm ready to fire our HC i usually turn into Russel Smith on fan run or Basilio because they don't sit around like everything is fine and we're making progress. If i just want more of an unbiased view i usually will turn on something like the VQ podcast just for info. Ainge is so much of a sunshine pumper i just can't listen to his show... Pretty clear he's pumping out the company narrative for them (which is fine if you want to hear only the good stuff and positive spin on things).

I listen to to it all for entertainment anyways i don't understand why anyone would listen to these shows thinking they're getting 100% or even 60% insider facts, they make more money stoking the fire and i understand that before ever tuning in.
Russel Smith is OK, he's been around for a while.

I do enjoy Basilio

I do not like Ainge at all, he spins and he's really weird ( the letters to JG, the text to John Curry, his love affair with Butch Jones ). You can pretty much point out everyone on this board who listens to Ainge and especially those who take his word as gospel just because he played here.

One is at Auburn and the other at the worst program in the West.
"Worst program in the West" is subjective. They don't have a clear cut program like Vanderbilt that is easily singled out as the worst. The title in the west has rotated between Arkansas, Ole Miss, and Mississippi State. Truthfully, OM is not as bad as some make it out to be. Other coaches have had success there, including David Cutcliffe.

If we had a choice between Malzahn and Freeze, who would you take?
Some food for thought..

Malzahn is:
3-3 vs Dan Mullen
3-5 vs Saban
1-6 vs Kirby
32-14 vs other SEC

Freeze is:
4-2 vs Mullen
2-4 vs Saban
13-15 vs everyone else

Malzahn is 40-28 in the SEC batting 0.59
Freeze is 19-21 (0.45)

My money would be on Gustavo!

For comparison

Mullen is:
0-9 vs Saban
1-3 vs Kirby
19-7 at Florida vs SEC opp. and 33-39 vs SEC opp at Miss State...

Mullen win % - 0% vs Saban
25% vs Kirby
45.8% vs SEC opponents while at MSU/73.1% at Florida/53.6% all time vs SEC

Mullen and Freeze against SEC opponents while at Miss State and Ole Miss are within 1% of each other.
Head to head freeze wins.
One could assume, Freeze would make a similar jump in win % at Tennessee like Mullen did at UF...
Sign me up

Any secondary is going to look bad when you get no pressure. I actually think we have some edge rushers (need more), but they are not being played or were moved. Crouch is good. Joseph is good. Both moved. Harrison should be playing more. Johnson is average, stop playing him. Banks would even be better suited at OLB. Where is Eason? I think we need an ILB next to Too Too. Hopefully Lewis (of he comes) or Willis can fill that void.
French and Eason both came in as ILBs.

When Pruitt is back next year, there needs to be a stickied thread that lists all the blow hards that have been littering the thread with their masturbatory nonsense the last few weeks with:

“it’s happening Sunday”
“Or Monday”
“When all this comes out, CJP is fired for cause”
“The OBC is doing shady stuff”
“Fulmer and Pruitt are both going down”
“The gears are turning”
“The wheels are turning”
“High level meetings are happening”
“Feelers are being put out there”

Etc etc etc

None of these guys know anything. They aren’t connected. They either rob info from TOS or they make it up for Ecred.

I’ve been on this forum a long time. 11 years. Donkeys live a long time.

None of these posters are insiders.
I'm an insider. Basically have been the entire pandemic.

I love Basilio. I take what he says with a grain of salt, but I think he is the most relatable of all the radio personalities.
Tony would be universally beloved on VN if he was a good ole boy from East Tennessee who had a southern accent. I honestly think the fact he wears on people is because he's a Yankee from Philly with an annoying voice. But so what - he's an alum, has been in Knoxville for a long time, and clearly loves the Vols. It is a little unusual listening to a guy with a strong Philly accent talking about Tennessee/SEC football.

I enjoy listening to him. Grain of salt, to be sure, but is there anybody in media that you shouldn't take with a grain of salt? People act like his unique for some reason in that regard.

For comparison

Mullen is:
0-9 vs Saban
1-3 vs Kirby
19-7 at Florida vs SEC opp. and 33-39 vs SEC opp at Miss State...

Mullen win % - 0% vs Saban
25% vs Kirby
45.8% vs SEC opponents while at MSU/73.1% at Florida/53.6% all time vs SEC

Mullen and Freeze against SEC opponents while at Miss State and Ole Miss are within 1% of each other.
Head to head freeze wins.
One could assume, Freeze would make a similar jump in win % at Tennessee like Mullen did at UF...
Sign me up

For comparison

jeremy pruitt is:
0-3 vs Saban
0-3 vs Smart
0-3 Vs Mullen

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back