Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bob Stoops Now: Is The Former Oklahoma Coach Done Coaching?

As a matter of fact, Stoops has been linked to the Tennessee Volunteers over the past few weeks. The 2020 season has been so disappointing for Jeremy Pruitt’s squad that fans in Knoxville might just want him gone.”

I mean, I want to believe, but this article is literally the only place I’ve seen any mention about it..

Last edited:
Yeah, that part you bolded isn't a denial of Alabama having a state-wide system that aids them. And even though that state-wide system obviously favors Alabama, there are elements within it that favor Auburn. You think Ohio St, Oklahoma, Georgia, etc. doesn't have the same thing? None of those schools have an in-state rival to worry about. Kirby has essentially recruited at an equivalent level to Saban since he got to Athens.

I would call that cheating on a massive scale. And I specifically said the same with OSU, Clemson, etc..

Somebody said it earlier, when it is too good to be true, it usually is. This run that Bama is on applies, IMO. Their history with the NCAA and rules is long and distinguished. Until they are forced to come down to the same level as everybody else, aka USC, Miami, etc...their run will continue. It really is to the point where actually playing the games is a formality, the outcome was decided off the field.

Our ability/willingness to reset expectations back up to the highest level after just having our heart broken is unlike anything I've ever seen. And we don't even realize it.

This time 3 years ago, people were crushed because they thought they were getting Gruden, but concluded we didn't because Jimmy Haslam tried to force a hire of Greg Schiano. Today, they think that same guy (Haslam) is working behind the scenes to hire Hugh Freeze.
Not just that. A lot of people have convinced themselves that Hugh Freeze is Football Jesus. He's a good coach, but he doesn't walk on water.

I wish I could cut pieces out of these Ray UGA vids. Right after talking about Tennessee he takes credit for college football actually happening this year. He said he pulls the strings behind the scenes lmaooo

So the Barn doesn't cheat at a higher level than Ole Miss, or anybody else for that matter? Of course they do and you know it. Which makes Gus' record even worse. With that level of cheating they got 4-6 losses per year beginning in Year Two. So Auburn folks are too dumb to know what a gem they had? C'mon, KV. That O scheme of Mahlzahn's was figured out long ago. It's Springdale, AR HS with better athletes. They won with D.
I'd actually be OK with Gus, but Gus is the inverse of that cliche about reputations. They say that reputations take a lifetime to build and can be destroyed overnight. Gus built a reputation largely overnight on the basis of 2 seasons, and it's taking forever to change it. Especially in national media, he still has this reputation as a great offensive mind/QB guru because of Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

His offenses since 2013 have been incredibly mediocre except for 2017, he's never developed a QB that he recruited, and he stayed in that job as long as he did because of Steele's defenses.

For comparison

Mullen is:
0-9 vs Saban
1-3 vs Kirby
19-7 at Florida vs SEC opp. and 33-39 vs SEC opp at Miss State...

Mullen win % - 0% vs Saban
25% vs Kirby
45.8% vs SEC opponents while at MSU/73.1% at Florida/53.6% all time vs SEC

Mullen and Freeze against SEC opponents while at Miss State and Ole Miss are within 1% of each other.
Head to head freeze wins.
One could assume, Freeze would make a similar jump in win % at Tennessee like Mullen did at UF...
Sign me up
Here's a question I have: Freeze was totally responsible for five recruiting classes while at Ole Miss, 2013-2017, and he recruited really well by Ole Miss standards. By SEC finish, his classes were 4th, 10th, 9th, 3rd and 12th. Mullen, in that same time, finished 11th, 13th, 7th, 12th and 11th.

The line of thinking on Mullen was that he is a great X's and O's coach, does more with less, so when a big program came and plucked him from Starkville, he would benefit from the natural increase in recruiting talent. He would raise his ceiling.

What I wonder about Freeze is if he would totally benefit in the same way Mullen has - he had a pretty clear talent advantage over Mississippi State. Maybe the way he would benefit from "more talent" at a bigger school would be negated a bit.

I would call that cheating on a massive scale. And I specifically said the same with OSU, Clemson, etc..

Somebody said it earlier, when it is too good to be true, it usually is. This run that Bama is on applies, IMO. Their history with the NCAA and rules is long and distinguished. Until they are forced to come down to the same level as everybody else, aka USC, Miami, etc...their run will continue. It really is to the point where actually playing the games is a formality, the outcome was decided off the field.
OK, so what are we arguing about then? That's my point. Alabama is not unique in cheating on a massive scale.

I don't believe this notion that the reason they recruit as well as well as they do is because they are doing things that are beyond the pale, way different than what anybody else does.

I'm not sure some scandal leading the way to Pruitt getting fired is worth it. If it comes out that Pruitt willingly broke covid rules and they covered it up, we're screwed.

I think it's that or it's recruiting related.

I dont want this job to suddenly have extra baggage scaring away all the good candidates.
How in the heck can anything bad be related to Covid? We had more guy in Covid protocol than anyone in the country.

Last edited:
I'd actually be OK with Gus, but Gus is the inverse of that cliche about reputations. They say that reputations take a lifetime to build and can be destroyed overnight. Gus built a reputation largely overnight on the basis of 2 seasons, and it's taking forever to change it. Especially in national media, he still has this reputation as a great offensive mind/QB guru because of Cam Newton and Nick Marshall.

His offenses since 2013 have been incredibly mediocre except for 2017, he's never developed a QB that he recruited, and he stayed in that job as long as he did because of Steele's defenses.

Agree. About anybody is better than Jeremy, even Gus. I get that. But to get this right requires UT to not settle for what is already in evidence. Which they have done with the last 3 hires. We see what not having developed QB's gets us for 15 years. Dobbs was not developed either - he did what he did naturally - yet had so many flaws with his passing game. The new HC of the Vols has to develop QB's well. Even Saban cannot do it the way he once did with D and brutalizing the opponents with the run game. He changed and started hiring the best OC's he could find that were strong QB developers. The game has changed. We have to change with it or become Vandy East.

Reactions: 05_never_again

I really don't know what else can be said about it. Freeze did everything but say it specifically. This is so easy. Sunday/Monday termination. Introduce Freeze on Friday. Then watch as the unsigned remaining top recruits lobby for a spot. Then collect all of the donations and season's tickets funds to more than pay for his and the staff's hiring along with buyouts going forward. If not Freeze it has to be Stoops or Campbell to move the dial and know the program will succeed at a high level.

When Pruitt is back next year, there needs to be a stickied thread that lists all the blow hards that have been littering the thread with their masturbatory nonsense the last few weeks with:

“it’s happening Sunday”
“Or Monday”
“When all this comes out, CJP is fired for cause”
“The OBC is doing shady stuff”
“Fulmer and Pruitt are both going down”
“The gears are turning”
“The wheels are turning”
“High level meetings are happening”
“Feelers are being put out there”

Etc etc etc

None of these guys know anything. They aren’t connected. They either rob info from TOS or they make it up for Ecred.

I’ve been on this forum a long time. 11 years. Donkeys live a long time.

None of these posters are insiders.

SHOTS FIRED.

It could be that we have people working quietly but there can be no guarantee of a change at this point. If Pruitt isn’t fired then the response will likely be “Well, we just couldn’t come to an agreement and land our guy.”

I hope something is in the works. Better than publicly searching and getting turned down by everyone.

Reactions: beneVOLence
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back