Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
One tidbit off Auburn’s message board was that he was set to be hired Monday, but the PAC 12 put them in the conference championship game and he wanted to delay the announcement...giving Oregon enough time to Gundy up. Sounds legit.
Well, if that's true, the conference and Washington were playing games with Covid tests and something tells me that didn't happen. I call BS on the Auburn poster.

My ONLY reason (and it's really a bad reason) for not wanting Coach Napier is the fact he is from the Saban tree. I simply don't want to go with that tree anymore.
It's not a bad reason at all. I think that by and large Saban hires guys that he values for their willingness and skill to do something to his exact specifications. Saban's got the recipe - he isn't looking for guys to come in there and develop their own. We need a developer and program-builder here. I'm not sure that Saban consistently grooms program builders.

Our only potential way out of this 10+ year mess is to hire a coach with a track record of success at a high level, preferably success at the P5 level. I'd also consider someone like Fickell, although it'd be better if he had success at the P5 level. Chadwell and Napier are "prove it" coaches. They've each shown less to me as head coaches than Butch did before he got here.

You want to argue that the same amount of parents look at message boards as accessing their Twitter accounts???

Surely to goodness not
Of course not. But just because x amount of parents look at a forum out of xx amount of total parents doesn't delegilitimize the argument. Parents still look. The exposure still exists as it can go viral on the internet. AV is popular on other boards where other parents go. Screenshots from here have made it to Twitter. You call the person making the comment a POS because of their comment when you engage in the same commentary. JGs mom had to search the posters commentary out on her own. It didn't just magically reach her.

So what makes the comments bad? That they are inflammatory or because more people might see it?

I just keep thinking on why Pruitt isn’t really working out like we hoped, and why a lot of the Saban tree isn’t working out anywhere else, and it just kind of hit me. When you go work for Saban, you learn how to coach at a “Goliath” program. They have all of the advantages, from recruiting to analysts doing a lot of the background work for the coordinators. The coordinators don’t have to talk to the media, and when they get to a new job, they emulate Saban, who can afford to browbeat the press without fear of them turning on him.

However, when they get hired, it’s usually a place that either has never had those advantages (like South Carolina, Maryland) or lost those advantages (like Florida, Tennessee). These programs really need an insurgent, “David” style strategy. I think that’s what Lane Kiffin saw when he came here (needed a brash image to attract recruits), FIU (hired Kendall Briles to put up lots of points and use exciting football to attract recruits), and Ole Miss (brash recruiting + Briles offense). The reason Kiffin is successful is because he’s not trying to exactly replicate Saban.

On the other hand, Smart and Fisher were able to walk into FSU, Georgia, and TAMU with the Saban style, Goliath strategy because they hadn’t fallen all of the way down. They just needed to maximize their advantages. Georgia got within a bomb of a Natty, FSU got there with Fisher before they decided they didn’t need to invest, and TAMU on its way up because they decided they had the investment but needed the coach.

Meanwhile, Florida tried the Saban thing twice, and it failed. Why? Because that wasn’t Florida’s brand, Muschamp and Mac were not proponents of fun, high flying football. The gruff, press persona didn’t compare to the Spurrier quips or the Tebow feel good stories, and their press and fanbase turned on them. Florida got back on its feet after Zook by getting an insurgent coach in Meyer, who routinely punched above his weight because he ran an innovative offense with an elite playcaller in Mullen and when they paired that with a Charlie Strong defense, whey were able run around and through the defenses built to stop the pro-style, run heavy teams like Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Georgia. We like to think of Meyer as one of the “Goliaths,” but really he was a David that climbed to the top and found ways to go toe to toe with the ultimate Goliath. If it weren’t for his “health issues,” he’d still be up there because he was a David who found his own way to be a Goliath at Ohio State.

I would argue that Florida went after Mullen because they realized they needed someone who “could do more with less” for a change, and while we were all laughing at their recruiting classes, Mullen has taken advantage of the transfer portal, scraped together a string of wins with elite play calling, and was a shoe toss away from being in the playoff discussion.

What did we do? Unlike Florida who came to grips with the fact they weren’t what they once were, we still think that we are a Goliath program that has all of the advantages. In some ways we do (facilities, rabid fanbase, near a great recruiting ground in suburban Atlanta, up and coming recruiting ground in Nashville), but the yearly beat downs by our biggest rivals and losing games regularly to Vandy has severely damaged our brand.

I think we made a big mistake in Pruitt, and it’s not because Pruitt is bad coach in a tactical sense. Our mistake was a strategic one. We need a David, and Pruitt is used to coaching at Goliaths, and he’s not adapting quickly enough to the reality of his situation. Fulmer walked into this decision because he’s blinded by his experience of being here when everything was firing on all cylinders. He loves this place, and he will always see it at as a Goliath program who needs a Goliath-style coach.

The reality is that we need an insurgent who can do more with less for awhile. I’m not sure Pruitt is gonna be that guy, and it just is what it is.

And it just irritates me because if you look at the long history of Tennessee football, we have been the program willing to innovate and take risks, from Neyland adapting military doctrine to playing the first black qb to going all in on pro-style offenses when places like Auburn were running the wishbone. Fulmer was innovative and elite when it came to recruiting.

We fundamentally just have to innovate and stay ahead of the curve because our recruiting footprint is mostly out of state and the SEC office isn’t staffed by our alumni. These are not things Bama has to worry about.

I’m not sure I’ve completely talked myself into Freeze, but I’ve definitely talked myself of thinking we can just replicate the Bama model and expect the same results.

Omg you really are trying to prove a point. I thought in the context of Ray UGA this would be blatantly obvious but here you sit.

Honestly, I regret ever coming off the gig. I should have let you keep digging that hole.
It must be a life of perpetual confusion to be so stupid that when you say idiotic things in an attempt at humor, people still take you seriously, as you are only meeting expectations.

TB upsets the orange tinted glasses crowd.
That, and he's a Yankee. I genuinely think the reason many tune him out is simply because he's from Philly and they think his voice is annoying. If he was a good ole boy from East Tennessee and had a better radio voice, he'd be loved here. He's basically the radio show version of the more intelligent areas of VolNation.

Look @BruinVol all I am asking is for you to tone down the name calling and scathing labels on people who aren't doing anything awful and aren't saying anything much different than you are. This invisible qualifier is BS. That's my point. I don't think you are a bad dude because you called a player an idiot on here, Facebook, Twitter, facetime with your meemaw, etc. That's all. I'll drop it for the sake of everyone else. Be blessed Bruin.

Reactions: drvenner
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back