Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Every 3rd or 4th year be in Atlanta
With the caveat of during the years that you aren't in Atlanta, you still have to be competitive. You can't have 4, 5, or 6-win seasons during the years you don't win the East.

The worst you can be for any length of time is 7-5, because if you look at our schedule in any given year the max number of games we should lose in any given year is 5. Florida, Georgia, Alabama, a good rotating West opponent, and a strong P5 OOC opponent. The games against the 3 creampuffs, Mizzou, Kentucky, Vandy, and South Carolina should be wins. There's no excuse to not beat those schools almost every year.

We fired the last guy who went to Atlanta every 3-4 years (Fulmer), so I think you have to add that caveat.

I’ll continue to call out any poster that tweets directly at a players family like yourself

and I’ll Continue to call out posters that brag about making slanderous post About VFLs and getting blocked by family members

That ain’t changing sorry
Then I'll continue calling you out everytime you do it on here.

I don't even remember the tweet you are referring to fwiw. But while you refer to one occasion, I'll have dozens of occasions where you go against your own principle. 😉

I just keep thinking on why Pruitt isn’t really working out like we hoped, and why a lot of the Saban tree isn’t working out anywhere else, and it just kind of hit me. When you go work for Saban, you learn how to coach at a “Goliath” program. They have all of the advantages, from recruiting to analysts doing a lot of the background work for the coordinators. The coordinators don’t have to talk to the media, and when they get to a new job, they emulate Saban, who can afford to browbeat the press without fear of them turning on him.

However, when they get hired, it’s usually a place that either has never had those advantages (like South Carolina, Maryland) or lost those advantages (like Florida, Tennessee). These programs really need an insurgent, “David” style strategy. I think that’s what Lane Kiffin saw when he came here (needed a brash image to attract recruits), FIU (hired Kendall Briles to put up lots of points and use exciting football to attract recruits), and Ole Miss (brash recruiting + Briles offense). The reason Kiffin is successful is because he’s not trying to exactly replicate Saban.

On the other hand, Smart and Fisher were able to walk into FSU, Georgia, and TAMU with the Saban style, Goliath strategy because they hadn’t fallen all of the way down. They just needed to maximize their advantages. Georgia got within a bomb of a Natty, FSU got there with Fisher before they decided they didn’t need to invest, and TAMU on its way up because they decided they had the investment but needed the coach.

Meanwhile, Florida tried the Saban thing twice, and it failed. Why? Because that wasn’t Florida’s brand, Muschamp and Mac were not proponents of fun, high flying football. The gruff, press persona didn’t compare to the Spurrier quips or the Tebow feel good stories, and their press and fanbase turned on them. Florida got back on its feet after Zook by getting an insurgent coach in Meyer, who routinely punched above his weight because he ran an innovative offense with an elite playcaller in Mullen and when they paired that with a Charlie Strong defense, whey were able run around and through the defenses built to stop the pro-style, run heavy teams like Auburn, Tennessee, LSU, and Georgia. We like to think of Meyer as one of the “Goliaths,” but really he was a David that climbed to the top and found ways to go toe to toe with the ultimate Goliath. If it weren’t for his “health issues,” he’d still be up there because he was a David who found his own way to be a Goliath at Ohio State.

I would argue that Florida went after Mullen because they realized they needed someone who “could do more with less” for a change, and while we were all laughing at their recruiting classes, Mullen has taken advantage of the transfer portal, scraped together a string of wins with elite play calling, and was a shoe toss away from being in the playoff discussion.

What did we do? Unlike Florida who came to grips with the fact they weren’t what they once were, we still think that we are a Goliath program that has all of the advantages. In some ways we do (facilities, rabid fanbase, near a great recruiting ground in suburban Atlanta, up and coming recruiting ground in Nashville), but the yearly beat downs by our biggest rivals and losing games regularly to Vandy has severely damaged our brand.

I think we made a big mistake in Pruitt, and it’s not because Pruitt is bad coach in a tactical sense. Our mistake was a strategic one. We need a David, and Pruitt is used to coaching at Goliaths, and he’s not adapting quickly enough to the reality of his situation. Fulmer walked into this decision because he’s blinded by his experience of being here when everything was firing on all cylinders. He loves this place, and he will always see it at as a Goliath program who needs a Goliath-style coach.

The reality is that we need an insurgent who can do more with less for awhile. I’m not sure Pruitt is gonna be that guy, and it just is what it is.

And it just irritates me because if you look at the long history of Tennessee football, we have been the program willing to innovate and take risks, from Neyland adapting military doctrine to playing the first black qb to going all in on pro-style offenses when places like Auburn were running the wishbone. Fulmer was innovative and elite when it came to recruiting.

We fundamentally just have to innovate and stay ahead of the curve because our recruiting footprint is mostly out of state and the SEC office isn’t staffed by our alumni. These are not things Bama has to worry about.

I’m not sure I’ve completely talked myself into Freeze, but I’ve definitely talked myself of thinking we can just replicate the Bama model and expect the same results.
Yes, I agree. Pruitt was not used to having to piece together a team and work around weaknesses. Think if it had been a regular season he would have managed 7 wins and a bowl, and he would have more time to learn on the job. When you lose every thing you do wrong is magnified. But let's not forget where we were when Fulmer chose him. There were not a lot willing to take the job especially good candidates.

I guess it depends on your definition of compete. I think UT should go to Atlanta every 3 years on average.
I think we're pretty close to being on the same page. If not on the same page because in Atlanta every 3 years sounds like we are competing every year to me

I’ll continue to call out any poster that tweets directly at a players family like yourself

and I’ll Continue to call out posters that brag about making slanderous post About VFLs and getting blocked by family members

That ain’t changing sorry
LOL. It sounds to me like some people have zero clue what slander is, but they think it's a cool word to be thrown around.

Grabbing breakfast and was scrolling through Twitter, I don't know how to post a twitter link but JG's mother took all Tennessee stuff off her Twitter and just posted "What are the grounds for defamation of character? "
Well, for starters, being a crappy quarterback isn't an issue of character. There have been incredibly high character people that have been crappy quarterbacks.

We should be competing for the East every year. Not once in a Blue Moon
If Georgia and Florida have good coaching and are firing on all cylinders (like they do now), it's gonna be hard for Tennessee to compete in the East every year.

Tennessee's expectation should actually be to win the East once every few years, like once every 3-4 years. Like Fulmer did...except in the years you don't win the East, you can't go 5-7. You especially can't do it multiple times. Tennessee really shouldn't win less than about 7 games in any given season.

Reactions: ATC_VOL
Money talks. Nobody is walking away from the other 6-7 million. That amount of money will change his kids and their kids lives.
The difference between $12M and $7M is like either eating at Ruth's Chris Steakhouse everyday or settling for The Olive Garden. If a man can't set up his family and his kids' families on $7M, plus whatever he's made before or after a buyout like that, then I don't know what to say.

SPOILER: Kids and grandkids have a habit of burning through their inheritance fairly quickly, especially if they never had to work for it. "Easy come, easy go" is what I heard a lot growing up.

No, TN has better resources then that. 8-9 wins on a consistent basis. Atlanta every 4-5 years and every 8 or so a playoff team.
I'd be really, really curious to hear someone's explanation as to why winning 8-9 games on a consistent basis at Tennessee is unrealistic.

One of the cool things about college football is that it isn't a 162 or 82-game season. We know most of our schedule in any given year already.

In any given year, there is no reason for Tennessee to not consistently beat the 3 OOC creampuffs, Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou, and South Carolina. That's 7 wins. That should be the floor. If you have a strong team in any given year, it's easy to see a path to get to 8 or 9. If you have a really strong team one year, it's easy to see a path to get to Atlanta.

Would anybody, even the Dan Wolkens of the world, say that Tennessee shouldn't consistently beat Kentucky? Or South Carolina? Or Vandy? Or Mizzou? If you do say that, then you are just willfully ignorant of the resource discrepancies between us and those programs.

Reactions: ATC_VOL and RiotVol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back