Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd be really, really curious to hear someone's explanation as to why winning 8-9 games on a consistent basis at Tennessee is unrealistic.

One of the cool things about college football is that it isn't a 162 or 82-game season. We know most of our schedule in any given year already.

In any given year, there is no reason for Tennessee to not consistently beat the 3 OOC creampuffs, Vandy, Kentucky, Mizzou, and South Carolina. That's 7 wins. That should be the floor. If you have a strong team in any given year, it's easy to see a path to get to 8 or 9. If you have a really strong team one year, it's easy to see a path to get to Atlanta.

Would anybody, even the Dan Wolkens of the world, say that Tennessee shouldn't consistently beat Kentucky? Or South Carolina? Or Vandy? Or Mizzou? If you do say that, then you are just willfully ignorant of the resource discrepancies between us and those programs.
Ask Bruin, he thinks 7 is a good season.
But I completely agree, 7 is the floor when we have a tough OOC game, 8 is the bottom and 9 is the expectation, with not getting your doors blown off by the big 3. Every few years have a team that can compete with them.

But I completely agree, 7 is the floor when we have a tough OOC game, 8 is the bottom and 9 is the expectation, with not getting your doors blown off by the big 3. Every few years have a team that can compete with them.

7-9 wins is the expectations for the next 5 years

Then maybe Atlanta can be expected

Recency Bias.
I was about to post the same thing. In all of his posts he is talking about what AU has done the last 20 years. I mean, I get it, but AU hasn't had Derek Dooley, Butch Jones, and Jeremy Pruitt as head coaches. If twitter existed in 2000 TN would be mentioned as a top 2-3 job in the SEC. Recency bias is real. Hire the right coach and these stupid comments from idiot media members goes away.

By his same logic AU is a better job than GA. They've won championships more recently. Oh, and by the way, TN has won a national title more recently than GA too. His logic doesn't hold up.

Why though? They are in tougher division. In-state recruiting is comparable, but they have to share that pool with one of the greatest football programs of all time. I mean I guess he’s basing that on had 15 years of incompetent administration, which is a big issue, but there is literally no other reason why we shouldn’t be comparable as a program.

Reactions: MwB
It must be a life of perpetual confusion to be so stupid that when you say idiotic things in an attempt at humor, people still take you seriously, as you are only meeting expectations.

Oh yes how terrible it is to have idiots (you) think themselves smarter than me. How will I ever recover

You don't know do you? Scathing remarks about a comment that you don't even remember. My only tweet to JGs dad is when he responded to a guy calling JG something and I said "Drag his ass, Papa G"

so you came here and bragged about something that was lie
lol

7-9 wins is the expectations for the next 5 years

Then maybe Atlanta can be expected
And that is where you are so far wrong its not even funny. The schedule for the next 2 years sets up for 8/9. 9 wins this next season should lock up most of the 22 in state class which would be talented enough to have TN in Atlanta by 24

Reactions: Smyrna ATL Vol
What? To say Bailey or shrout are better than Howell who is one of the best QBs to play at UNC is craziness. Shrout has been here three years and done nothing. Bailey has played two games. And I’m a huge Bailey fan.
It wasn’t like we chose Shrout over Howell. Didn’t choose ANYONE over him. He picked Florida State OVER us and then flipped to his home school...which is what would have happened if we had been the original choice. We didn’t do anything in 2018 that would have prevented poaching. This “he wanted to be here” shizz is manufactured misery drama from skilled artists of the trade.

Why though? They are in tougher division. In-state recruiting is comparable, but they have to share that pool with one of the greatest football programs of all time. I mean I guess he’s basing that on had 15 years of incompetent administration, which is a big issue, but there is literally no other reason why we shouldn’t be comparable as a program.
It is this. He just keeps mentioning the championships they've won in the past 20 years. That's the only explanation he is giving. And so by that logic, AU is a better job than UGA also.

7 is a good season today given the standing of the program.

If we ever get out of this phase of self-inflicted wounds and have a normal program again, 7 wins should really be the floor. There's no good reason for it not to be. If you just look at the resources of our program compared to our opponents, we should be able to get to 7 wins without breaking much of a sweat, honestly. There should really only be about 5 competitive games a year.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
Yeah but if JP negotiated it down to $5M-$7M to step down, thanked UT for the opportunity, and just left, I think he'd be remembered more as a guy that "just wasn't ready" as opposed to, the "dumbest coach" we've ever had.
We remember Butch as the biggest prick ever for taking the buyout and hanging out at bama until he got paid in full. Ill never forget the pic of BJ smoking cigars in Neyland with the bama players. I don't think JP wants to be remembered that way.

If I was in JP's position, I'd take $5M, publicly apologize for things not working out, and go back home a happy man, with a clear conscience. But that's just me and I've never had that kind of choice to make.
If he did that he'd absolutely be the dumbest coach we ever had. Whether he takes his full contract amount will have very little bearing on the way he's remembered, or rather the many different ways he's remembered by different factions of the fanbase.

Plus, he probably has a very different take on what's been going on than all of us on the outside do. And he may be closer to being correct about that than we are, we may never know. The reality, as always, will be somewhere in between. Probably he wasn't the right guy for the job and there were factors working against him. Such is life.

And there's no apologizing and going home happy either. Like just about every coach that's ever been fired, he probably thinks that if given the opportunity and adequate support he can right the ship.

But the only way he negotiates a lesser buyout is if someone has leverage on him in some way.

Reactions: jlawso21
7 is a good season today given the standing of the program.

If we ever get out of this phase of self-inflicted wounds and have a normal program again, 7 wins should really be the floor. There's no good reason for it not to be. If you just look at the resources of our program compared to our opponents, we should be able to get to 7 wins without breaking much of a sweat, honestly. There should really only be about 5 competitive games a year.
I agree, and next years schedule sets up nicely to get us out of that funk, but unfortunately we don't have a coach that will be able to win more than 6

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back