Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it’s true that the A&M game determines Pruitt’s fate, then we’re not serious about competing anymore. That tells me the UTAD doesn’t want to make a change and will do what they can to prevent it. “We only lost by 2 TDs things are improving”. They’re just concerned about immediate optics and nothing more.

Don't you think that's fair though?

Saban wanted to really slow the game down to the point where a hurry-up offense essentially wouldn't be allowed. They told him no, so he just went and created a fast offense of his own by hiring Kiffin and recruiting players like Tua.

I don’t. I think it messed with Saban’s model (big defensive linemen that he can rotate to keep fresh, and then alter his packages based on who the offense trots out). He couldn’t beat it on the field, so he beat it first in the rule book, and then went and got his own version to take advantage of the rules he couldn’t change in his favor.

Make no mistake. This started with his crocodile tears about player safety.

Reactions: SoilVol
Getting money people to agree on everything is a problem everywhere. Even when they agree on what to do, there will be dissension on how to do it, when to do it and who's going to do what. Boosters provide funding and input-- some much more than others-- but they don't run the University of Tennessee. UT has a leadership committee and a board for that, and while there is some overlap, it's not nearly as much as some people think.
that's fine. and i get all that. but you have alluded to this in the past, as well as some others, when you have a small group of "decision makers" that can/do throw their weight around, it can muck up the whole process, regardless of how well all the other parts may be working together. fair?

I view Freeze in the same vein as Bruce Pearl. Definitely both used car salesmen who have had NCAA troubles. However, they both rally their fan bases behind them and are all in. They’ll be super successful while recruiting really well. I know it didn’t end well here for Bruce, but who would go back and trade his run for another coach? Nobody. Plus, the NCAA is becoming more and more toothless every year.

Freeze would win here and it would be really fun. I think UT football is big enough and smart enough to mask any recruiting improprieties he may employ. What do we have to lose here? Make UT football fun again. If it goes down in flames, so what? It’s better than staying in this perpetual McGoogle cycle we’re in.

ZERO experience in the South? Who would he bring with him? How would recruiting go? I realize Butch did just fine in that department. How would he be different than Butch?
We are a National program. That whole recruit the south thing is over played. Fickell didn’t play the trombone, football coach.

ZERO experience in the South? Who would he bring with him? How would recruiting go? I realize Butch did just fine in that department. How would he be different than Butch?

I can’t guarantee you he wouldn’t fail here for those exact reasons. You basically stated the biggest concerns I would have with him.

But, the guy can coach. I’d just have to hope he would figure out the rest.

Reactions: i2amavol
the south thing means nothing.

fickell has a way better resume, as far as P5 grooming, at big time P5 programs, than Butch did..if nothing else, he's been in that dynamic, understands how big programs operate, and has seen all the land mines that come with it...and he's been involved with a high level recruiting operation.....

i don't know if he'd be good here or not, but even with my skepticism and sarcasm about hiring another cincy coach, i'd have more confidence in him than i did butch. hell when we hired Butch, i thought we hired Butch Davis, when i saw Butch Jones, i was like "who?"....

so, there's that, too.

I view Freeze in the same vein as Bruce Pearl. Definitely both used car salesmen who have had NCAA troubles. However, they both rally their fan bases behind them and are all in. They’ll be super successful while recruiting really well. I know it didn’t end well here for Bruce, but who would go back and trade his run for another coach? Nobody. Plus, the NCAA is becoming more and more toothless every year.

Freeze would win here and it would be really fun. I think UT football is big enough and smart enough to mask any recruiting improprieties he may employ. What do we have to lose here? Make UT football fun again. If it goes down in flames, so what? It’s better than staying in this perpetual McGoogle cycle we’re in.
Aren’t they getting ready to make paying players a thing? Might as well get a coach who is comfortable with that and has some experience.

Look at next years schedule, 9 wins is very possible with that schedule, now ask yourself can Pruitt get us to 9? If your answer is no (mine is) then that's why we need to make a change. Go 7-5 next year and there are some big dogs in state that can be the class that helps jump start this thing to 10 wins and beyond. Thats why a change is needed this year, there is some talent on the team, its regressed but its there. Give me a good offensive minded HC and a decent DC, there's two out there with SEC experience and there would be a third in Charlie if we let go of Pruitt.
A bad season next year and you can kiss goodbye to Nolen, Simpson, James, Wade, Brown, Hayden, Horten, Martin( if he plays football), Wade, Hood, Anderson. Thats a loaded in state class that we have to keep home.

Here is the thing, if the admin or boosters wanted freeze and he wanted to be here it would have happened.

If that was their guy their unicorn then they just would have done it.

Programs move mountains to go get their guy.

But that hasn’t happened.

So if we move on for Pruitt it’s going to get ugly.

Reactions: jakez4ut
We are a National program. That whole recruit the south thing is over played. Fickell didn’t play the trombone, football coach.
We ARE a national program. However the best high school players that are the most college-ready year in and year out come from Florida, Georgia, Texas, and California. Need a recruiting presence in the South to be successful.

I don’t. I think it messed with Saban’s model (big defensive linemen that he can rotate to keep fresh, and then alter his packages based on who the offense trots out). He couldn’t beat it on the field, so he beat it first in the rule book, and then went and got his own version to take advantage of the rules he couldn’t change in his favor.

Make no mistake. This started with his crocodile tears about player safety.
I don't think it's unfair at all - agree to disagree there. I don't disagree that him presenting this idea under the guise of "player safety" was a ruse, though.

The stupid rule he tried to get passed, and failed, was a penalty for the offense if they snapped the ball before 10 seconds had run off the play clock. He tried to kill the entire concept of a hurry-up offense, and they told him no.

Wish I had an infinite like button for your post...well said

Reactions: SoilVol and KPT_VFL
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back