Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
To give you an example:

With Dooley/butch: we had 1.5 practice fields not counting the indoor and about 12 roughly off field football coaching spots.

With Pruitt: we have 3 practice fields not counting indoor (which is brand new now) and about 25 of those spots.
I get it and see that we are making the investment in the football program and hell copying whatever the Clemson is doing isn't a bad thing. Just don't understand the AD's that want to try and short change the football side when they are paying for the entire Athletic department.

Reactions: HankHill
Don’t want to bump his thread but if Keyton leaves as rumored, this might be a decent get

I could see Tillman leaving as well. He has to almost realize he’s been recruited over at this point.

I would love kiffin but i think it’s more likely we hire bellicheck than kiffin again.

Stoops is the 3rd best coach in the SEC imo behind saban and Mullen and i think it’s a tossup between him and Mullen. What he has done at Kentucky is so impressive and he is a great developer, is very resourceful/creative and identifies hidddn talent maybe as well as anyone in the conference.
Yep. and TN would be a step up as far as being able to build a NC team. But I just looked UK is paying him 4.75 TN would have to beat that for sure.
Second thing is, if he were to come Fulmer better punch him in the nose if he mentions running the Eddie Gran offense, I don't think I could watch that every week.

Reactions: HankHill
My tiers would be:

Home runs: Campbell (not happening), Freeze, and Fleck.
Great Hire: Fickell, Wittingham, and mark stoops
Solid/Safe: Malzahn, Chad well, Gary Patterson, and Paul Chryst.
Mark Stoops over Gary Patterson is craziness. But I like the others. I think Napier is a safe hire too.

If we’re willing to make a change 3 years in after all the money we’ve spent and additions we’ve made to football solely Bc of Pruitt’s asking/demands Bc “bama had it”.......

Then we are definitely committed to winning, we just hired the wrong guy. Let’s see what the next guy can do with all these tools.
So the narrative that we are not committed to winning is far from true. Just got to find a coach that can get it done that wants to be here...and is wanted.

Kiffin would be a home run.

Likely the best we could hire after our decade of dysfunction.

I’d love a Napier hire as well. But not near as much.

Im a fan of the list, 3 differences for me though.
1. Kiffin im still a fan of his, don't think it evver happens though.
2. Chadwell im still out on.
3. Mark Stoops very interesting, he's done well at UK, I could see giving him a shot here.

I just don't see Kiffin leaving Ole Miss after one year. He already did that to one other SEC School. lol

Reactions: ATHiker
It sucks that just the other day we were laughing about Auburn and their "coaching search" and now there are rumors they're going to pull a penguin out of their ass with a solid hire. I really hope those rumors are wrong.

Yeah Sarkisian could do very well there. He could do very well in Knoxville too FWIW.

Reactions: Vols4us
Unless the folks that make the call are divided on what the call should be. Then the outcome could be what sways the one or ones needed.
i guess, but if that's what they're waiting to see, or that one result could sway them from what they currently think....i'm not sure i'd call that sound decision making....?

Yep. and TN would be a step up as far as being able to build a NC team. But I just looked UK is paying him 4.75 TN would have to beat that for sure.
Second thing is, if he were to come Fulmer better punch him in the nose if he mentions running the Eddie Gran offense, I don't think I could watch that every week.
He kicked gran to the curb and hired the rams QB coach.

Reactions: mr.checkerboards
I appreciate that. Yes, definitely-- next time I'm in Knoxville. Probably be a while before I get back, though.

Freeze would be divisive because certain people don't want him at UT. Pruitt has created all sorts of conflict. The guy's a magnet for it-- and he seems clueless as to why it follows him around. So if the goal is to remove the existing conflict, replacing it with more conflict isn't the solution UT would prefer. But Boyd has the authority to override others and make the calls he feels are right for the university and athletics. I'll say this, though-- if UT was absolutely committed to going in a different direction and had no doubt Freeze was the guy, the deal would be done.
Thank for that clarification. I wasn't sure if you meant Hugh Freeze was a divisive person or if hiring him would be divisive.

Last edited:
Same here, beside the running away part! Lol
I did threaten to get a new family tho when my parents wouldn’t name my younger brother Bo Duke!!
My granddaughter was distraught when her parents would not name her sister Rainbow Dash. They finally told her that could be her nickname, and she could call her that.

As much as I get pissed at Pruitt over sticking with JG, and it is a lot, I also know in my heart that with a decent QB we beat Kentucky, Awbarn and Arkansas, and for the same one player reason the blowout losses would also not be as bad...and then Pruitt doesn't seem like the disaster he does to everybody else.

I am curious to see what he can do with better play from that one position.
i am too.

but i was also curious to see what JG could do with a serviceable OL, a run game, more than 1 year with an OC and WR's that didn't suck..........lol.

turns out...he is what he is.

so while i'm curious as well, i have a feeling he may be 'what he is' as well.

all that said, IF...IF...IF...pruitt can learn some lessons, adapt style/philosophy, and make NECESSARY changes to how he views/thinks about certain things (basically, you just can't put everything in it's box and never move things around), then he has the football mind and ability to develop relationships with players to be a very good head coach.

right now though....it's rough. and there's no guarantee he does any/all of that going forward..............

Reactions: SmokinBob
He kicked gran to the curb and hired the rams QB coach.
Gangster move by Kentucky standards.

They had nice seasons in 2018 and 2019, with 2018 being one of the best years in school history. This year was a disappointment, and there are built-in excuses for it (COVID). Your daddy's Kentucky would have been content with that, but this Kentucky fires the long time co-offensive coordinators and goes to the NFL to replace them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back