Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Look we all want UT to be great. I know I do. I can’t stand losing. We are a top program and we should always be in the conversation as a contender in the East. I hope like hell Pruitt turns it around and grows. I just have zero faith that he will. Our first staff was our best and every assistant hire has gotten worse every year. He is hard to work with and assistants flock to leave every year. That’s not a recipe for success. But I pray he learns and puts together a great staff. Go get Lupoi, Davis, and Kelly for defense (get rid of Ansley and Neids). Pay them whatever is needed. Get UFs QB coach for OC and can Chaney. Bring in the best assistants possible for OL coach. If Tee leaves, bring in the best WR coach who develops and let them do their job. We have enough talent to win 8-9 next year. Go do it.

This is strictly because one coach can get the best out of his QB, the other held onto a lame duck QB for 2 years too long. Florida was worse on defense than we were (and probably not as good in the run game) but won more games because they had an elite QB and offensive weapons (none of which Mullen recruited btw)

UF was worse on defense than us? By what metric are you basing this on? They were better in almost every statistic.

2020 Southeastern Conference Team Total Defense Stats | ESPN

Don't love Mullen. Just don't understand people that think he sucks ass.
Most people here have an inability to grade what he did at Miss St on a curve.

They see a .600 overall winning percentage and a .458 winning percentage in conference play and conclude "Eh, mediocre, what's so special about that" just looking at the raw number itself. .458 over 9 years in SEC play isn't good at Tennessee, or Alabama, or Florida, or some other big program, but it is awesome at Miss St.

They don't understand how difficult it is to do that, and in the midst of probably what was the greatest run a single division (the SEC West) has ever had in CFB history.

Some of that matters where you coach and when you coach there. Hell Rick Barnes missed the tourney his first 2 seasons here. Not only the NCAA tourney but I don’t believe we even made the NIT during those seasons.

By no means do I think he’s a great coach. But he is hardly a poor coach.

And UT is literally the only job he left where he might’ve been fired. Missouri St didn’t want to lose him and Cal didn’t want to lose him.
Poor is not the correct word but average is what I think he is as a coach.....he does a good job getting a few studs but really has some poor misses with very below average players.... his defense is decently good but offense is as stagnant as it gets.

Reactions: MarcoVol
Some of that matters where you coach and when you coach there. Hell Rick Barnes missed the tourney his first 2 seasons here. Not only the NCAA tourney but I don’t believe we even made the NIT during those seasons.

By no means do I think he’s a great coach. But he is hardly a poor coach.

And UT is literally the only job he left where he might’ve been fired. Missouri St didn’t want to lose him and Cal didn’t want to lose him.
Cuonzo's problem is that 2+2+2 never makes 6. It sure as hell never makes 7 or 8, which is what good coaches are able to do. His teams are always less than the sum of their parts.

The quality of Cuonzo's teams are purely a function of the talent he's able to recruit, because it's like he doesn't coach anyone well. If he has elite talent, his teams are pretty good. If he had good talent, his teams are mediocre. If he has mediocre talent, his teams are bad.

Reactions: RiotVol
Poor is not the correct word but average is what I think he is as a coach.....he does a good job getting a few studs but really has some poor misses with very below average players.... his defense is decently good but offense is as stagnant as it gets.

Absolutely agree, his offenses are terrible. Nobody is tryna watch games where the winning team scores in the 50s anymore. It’s like watching the equivalent of our football team’s offense

Reactions: RiotVol
View attachment 335215

*I'm using Duck, Duck Go on my android phone. After I find a GIF I like, I'll hold my finger on it until the options box pops up. I'll select the "download GIF option" and it'll save to my pictures (gallery). From VN, I'll select "attach files" at the bottom left corner of the reply box and that'll open up my pictures. I select the GIF I want and it will populate in the "insert all" section on VN. Select "full image", "preview" it (see if it works), and then select "post reply".

*I couldn't get the copy and paste option to work either. There are other ways but this one works for me.

You can practice in the Zone forum if you want to. Those guys love GIFs.
Same here, I always download them. Good to have for later and also so you can show the wife the best ones as she rolls her eyes and asks if the "nodding head basketball player" is an old Lebron James.

Reactions: TN-POSSUM
Wasn’t it stated repeatedly throughout the offseason that Knox county had ridiculously strict Covid/quarantine rules?

Like Bailey and Morris both spent something like 30-40 days in quarantine etc
HTR, its like @jakez4ut said, they don't want to admit the effect covid had on this team. Yet, i may disagree a bit with jake...I dont think its they don't want to admit it, I believe most are just too stupid to even realize it.

Its like you said, it was reported REPEATEDLY about Knox Co's restrictions. Yes, everyone dealt with covid; but, everyone didn't deal with it the same. Contact tracing, not positive testing, absolutely wiped us out.

Sometimes at night i like to lay in bed, close my eyes, and dream of the pirate leading a “vol walk” down the river on a decked out pirated ship and our team getting off at the riverfront and walking to the stadium from there.

Imagine what Leach could do if he had Harrison Bailey.

That being said, Leach better start winning some ball games. The folks down here are already a little restless.

I posted in here yesterday that recruits are sending AP screenshots of things posted on VQ forums. A poster on there today who has hunted with Ty Simpson for the last several days as confirmed by AP, posted in there today that Kirby Smart is sending the recruits screen shots. So to answer your question from yesterday @HankHill , Kirby is the one sending the recruits those VQ posts. At least he’s one of them. What a punk

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back