Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
From someone who knows recruits and people who were recruited at this University, it’s absolute insanity to think fans and message boards decide or help decide where a recruit goes.
Yet, we now have reports of recruits discussing this very thing.

I dont care who you know or don't know, I just know what recruits are saying to people like Hubbs and AP: and, what they're saying and responding to on social media.

Reactions: jp1
Challenges you mean the same challenges every other college football program goes through...it’s not like Clemson was some perennial power every year back in the day
Clemson lucked into their top tier head coach, they didn't go out on the market for him. Top tier head coaches don't want to come here because we play 2 or 3, sometimes more, of nations 20 best teams every year. Those same schools are located in talent hotbeds which we are not. Great coaches end up at those schools, not ours.

Yet, we now have reports of recruits discussing this very thing.

I dont care who you know or don't know, I just know what recruits are saying to people like Hubbs and AP: and, what they're saying and responding to on social media.
Reports from Pruitts mouth piece (AP)? Sorry if I’m skeptical of the validity. Sounds like hit pieces to calm the masses on Pruitt and put blame of recruiting on fans. 3-7 and multiple blow out losses is what is killing recruiting.

The Crazy/Hot scale from How I Met Your Mother applies to football games bases.

When a team is winning (you’re hot) your “passion” is sexy and fun and something you want to be around.

When a team is losing your “passion” is scary and turns people off.

Tennessee is currently the second one.

Plus, not many 18-22 year olds want to be a part of an environment where they feel like they’ll be ripped a part by fans for dropping a pass, throwing an INT, or missing a tackle. Like it or not, it’s true.
We don’t rip players apart for those things anymore than any other fanbase. JG is a special case and you can blame the coaches for it. They should’ve had someone else ready. The kid was not SEC caliber and 97% of the fanbase could see it 3 seasons ago. Would’ve been better off letting Shrout throw 35 beautiful TDs and 30 mind numbing ints. At least he would’ve been learning. Hell Matt Corrall threw 5ints vs Arkansas and Kiffin kept him out there bc he knew the kid was also capable of putting up points in bunches. It’s risk/reward + experience and learning. This fanbase bs always.comes.back.to.the.coaching.

Imagine what Leach could do if he had Harrison Bailey.

That being said, Leach better start winning some ball games. The folks down here are already a little restless.

It takes at least 2 years to get that roster flipped enough to run the system he wants. This year is house money and they may win 4 games despite doing a complete 180 in terms of scheme and personnel.... they are also playing more freshman than any team in the country.

I posted in here yesterday that recruits are sending AP screenshots of things posted on VQ forums. A poster on there today who has hunted with Ty Simpson for the last several days as confirmed by AP, posted in there today that Kirby Smart is sending the recruits screen shots. So to answer your question from yesterday @HankHill , Kirby is the one sending the recruits those VQ posts. At least he’s one of them. What a punk
Would love to know that dickheads username

Okayyyyy so who is top tier? Like, Saban, Dabo, and Day? Most people don’t even out Notre Dame in the top tier. Would Brian Kelly be top tier? Or top of the second tier? Bc if Freeze is hanging out with that guy + Mullen + Franklin + Riley and all the other coaches/teams who are really good but haven’t gotten over the hump, then I think we’d be doing just fine with him!
We might be fine with him, but the issue seems to rest with the possible negatives that are associated with him. This university and others have determined he isn't worth the risk. If it were only us I'd say we were being stupid, but that isn't the case.

As far as replacements for Pruitt? I think many could do better. But I also believe the issues we have are deep and won't be fixed by the head coach only. Culture has to change at the level above and encompassing the AD before we get better.

Reports from Pruitts mouth piece (AP)? Sorry if I’m skeptical of the validity. Sounds like hit pieces to calm the masses on Pruitt and put blame of recruiting on fans. 3-7 and multiple blow out losses is what is killing recruiting.
Goodness man....everyone knows wins and losses mean the most. No one is arguing that. You are purposely ignoring what is being said by the guys that talks to the recruits daily. Deny it all you want, but that doesn't make it less true.

Most people here have an inability to grade what he did at Miss St on a curve.

They see a .600 overall winning percentage and a .458 winning percentage in conference play and conclude "Eh, mediocre, what's so special about that" just looking at the raw number itself. .458 over 9 years in SEC play isn't good at Tennessee, or Alabama, or Florida, or some other big program, but it is awesome at Miss St.

They don't understand how difficult it is to do that, and in the midst of probably what was the greatest run a single division (the SEC West) has ever had in CFB history.

To be fair, I went through every season he had at MSU and diagnosed their wins when his name came up. It goes much deeper than that, and you have to consider the context.

I have never said Mullen is a bad coach. He did very well at MSU, and I understand it traditionally has struggled in the SEC. But, I have always said that his strength is more development than recruiting, and that’s why Florida was a better gig for him. In addition, he’s had some culture issues at both places along with struggling to get over the top in some big games.

I also have a really good friend who is a MSU alum and booster, who has personally hosted Mullen. They obviously loved him as a coach, but they did get frustrated with his loyalty to some of his friend assistants. He also said Mrs. Mullen is the more normal of the two.

I truly believe Pruitt will return. Phil has been gathering support behind the scenes. Pruitt has laid out a plan and Phil has convinced the powers that be to give Pruitt one more year. Ultimately Plowman will make the final call, but from what I gather without a change of heart, he will return. An agreement on what direction to go if we did make a change wasn’t occurring which plays a big part in this decision. Pruitt also has a great relationship with many in the 22 class. He also thinks he has some difference makers ready to transfer. I think Phil has also convinced Pruitt he needs to be more hands off and let his coaches coach...we will see. Just wanted to put my 2 cents out there as I was almost positive we were making a change.

—BabyVol15

Clemson lucked into their top tier head coach, they didn't go out on the market for him. Top tier head coaches don't want to come here because we play 2 or 3, sometimes more, of nations 20 best teams every year. Those same schools are located in talent hotbeds which we are not. Great coaches end up at those schools, not ours.
So the solution is to lay down and do nothing and talk about about how big of a disadvantage we are in and how good we were in the 90’s, rather than lucking into our very own great coach

Reactions: MrVolton
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back