Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean, if Campbell ever wants to be truly relevant, he'll leave there. And I'm not saying he'll be relevant here. That's a crap shoot. But he'll never win anything of real significance at ISU. Maybe they have dreams of it, but reality is ISU will not be competing for NCs. And again, not saying we will be, but it's certainly far more likely to happen here than it is there.
I agree and I didn't mean that we were necessarily the "bulley", just that it will happen eventually.

I know our situation is far from ideal with the NCAA sanctions but the constant badgering of media members has made me hate the media universally. Always trying to create more story that there is. I still think there will be punishment but in a fairly mild way. I am tired of these media members saying that we are not worth a good hire because the NCAA may or may not punish us and we should accept a lowered standard.

USC, OSU, Penn State, Oregon and I am sure others have all hired great coaches amid sanctions that will probably be the ceiling of what we could face. /rant

tenor.gif

Recency bias for the relatively poor season Fleck just had. Also, Elliot is a great offensive mind and a great recruiter. If he fails, I think he will leave the cupboards full.

I'm not against Fleck either. I think he'll be a good hire.

Fair points. Not defending Fleck but I wonder if COVID hit them kind of hard? Seems like the B10 was kind of down this year.

For me I tend to lean towards experience when comparing things like this. Fleck has HC experience where Elliot has none. Although I will admit that Elliot is definitely the superior recruiter.

Reactions: FBtime
I know our situation is far from ideal with the NCAA sanctions but the constant badgering of media members has made me hate the media universally. Always trying to create more story that their is. I still think there will be punishment but in a fairly mild way. I am tired of these media members saying that we are not worth a good hire because the NCAA may or may not punish us and we should accept a lowered standard.

USC, OSU, Penn State, Oregon and I am sure others have all hired great coaches amid sanctions that will probably be the ceiling of what we could face. /rant
All of those programs were winning when they got hit. We’re losers and we’re getting hit.

I agree and I didn't mean that we were necessarily the "bulley", just that it will happen eventually.
Unless he's just happy never reaching his potential. He'll never reach it there. A house built out of sticks is still a house built out of sticks, and that's the building materials he's dealing with at a place like ISU.

I mean, he could come here and build it brick by brick, lol.

:eek::cool:

Reactions: volsnvikes
I know our situation is far from ideal with the NCAA sanctions but the constant badgering of media members has made me hate the media universally. Always trying to create more story that their is. I still think there will be punishment but in a fairly mild way. I am tired of these media members saying that we are not worth a good hire because the NCAA may or may not punish us and we should accept a lowered standard.

That is the "media's" MO now. They pile on to push a narrative and create clicks. For the most part they void of any integrity. They are no more journalists/news people than my dog's ass...

Reactions: tkobeck
Don’t understand the love for Fleck. Where is he proven he can recruit? No southeast ties, lackluster roster MN where has had been recruiting in his region of competence - upper Midwest.

There is zero indication this guy can recruit and no relationships in southeast.

All the lovers are blindly ignoring the terrible roster and season MN just had in year 4.

Recruiting and southern ties are the most overrated criteria out there. You see how that went with Dooley and Pruitt. You can make the case that Jones outrecruited both of them, and he had zero recruiting cred/southern ties coming in. Win and recruiting to Tennessee takes care of itself. We need a winner first and foremost, all the other stuff is way down the list.

Unless he's just happy never reaching his potential. He'll never reach it there. A house built out of sticks is still a house built out of sticks, and that's the building materials he's dealing with at a place like ISU.

I mean, he could come here and build it brick by brick, lol.

:eek::cool:
You didn't.... 😱

Recency bias for the relatively poor season Fleck just had. Also, Elliot is a great offensive mind and a great recruiter. If he fails, I think he will leave the cupboards full.

I'm not against Fleck either. I think he'll be a good hire.
Everyone is fired for recency bias. Fact is it was the first season with his first fully recruited roster.

Fleck is better than what we had. Elliott would recruit lights out. Just keep Steele

Don’t understand the love for Fleck. Where is he proven he can recruit? No southeast ties, lackluster roster MN where has had been recruiting in his region of competence - upper Midwest.

There is zero indication this guy can recruit and no relationships in southeast.

All the lovers are blindly ignoring the terrible roster and season MN just had in year 4.
Recruiting to a school is all relative. Here are the team talent composites (includes transfers in/out) for Minnesota since they began tracking it. He has definitely improved their recruiting.

2015 - 64th
2016 - 59th
2017 - 63rd (Y1 Fleck)
2018 - 48th
2019 - 46th
2020 - 45th
2021 - #35 Class (team talent ranking yet to be released)

This year's TT would likely be ~40th. That is a 23 spot improvement since he arrived. He sure as heck can recruit. More importantly, dude wins. We need a WINNER, not a recruiter. UT recruits itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back