Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t really want to put a win total # on this staff for year one. We’re not going to be very good and we have have 0 wiggle room for injuries. We’ve been pretty lucky injury wise the last few years so probably just a matter of time before the bug bites us. Here’s what i want to see:

1. Win or close losses in 10/12 games. I can stomach a couple of blowouts specifically to bama and Georgia but we need to be in every other game.

2. Creativity on offense and less rotation on the OL and really just in general. Same thing for position switching. They haven’t done any so far which is what JH said and i like it. I think there’s a few good candidates tho for switches.

3. Build recruiting momentum specifically in the summer before the season. Camps can start June 1st and apparently this staff has a couple big things planned and a couple new concepts like when top golf comes to neyland.

4. I want to see more man and man free defenses and mix up our pressures. We were way too vanilla on defense the last two years.
How do you know we won't be very good? The season hasn't even started. We've yet to see a real game, just a couple of scrimmages where we're not even at full strength. You're just guessing, Hank, and you're choosing to guess with negative connotations. I agree we can't afford serious injuries, and have said as much, several times, but we are not devoid of talent. We can, and should win 7 games IMO. I mean, damn, that's one game better than .500 and people are acting like it's an unreasonable expectation. Seriously, think about that. Why would anyone enter a season expecting a losing record and think that's okay? I know we have been through hell, but why would any Tennessee fan expect to lose? I'm not even sure you're a "fan" if you've already surrendered....

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
His biggest mistake was he pissed everyone at the university off while his team performance made him expendable.

You could delay the inevitable with one, but not both of those scenarios. There was no one left to advocate fudging the books
Exactly. I said as much in another post. He decided to be an arrogant prick before earning the right to be an arrogant prick. Papa Nick has earned that right by winning, an winning big. Jeremy Pruitt, not so much.

I just can’t. If you believe this then you do not keep up with college football. I could have listened to them being familiar with their systems and further along and probably get us this year. I can’t get behind any argument where those teams out talent us in any way. And please show me a QB to be scared of on any of those teams not named Ole Miss. All average as hell.
They’ll send more players to the nfl than we will (from the current roster). We don’t have a QB so I’m scared of teams with average QB play

Sorry, did I miss something on that reporter talking about Milton still deciding between us and WSU? I thought he was already enrolled or on the directory and was seen on campus? I thought this was a done deal?

Reactions: ugg
True, but it just goes to show you can't be an obnoxious ass hole while failing at your job and hand the people you piss off the very ammunition they need to take you down. Honestly, Pruitt should have had the common sense to treat people respectfully, at least until he EARNED the right to be arrogant like Papa Nick. But I guess the limited Bammer intelligence did him in.

My whole point, he dug his own grave. It's hard, impossible for me, to have sympathy for him.
Every Saban disciple has a check list of how to set up their program.

1. Be unapproachable and unbearable
2. Deny media and human access to any and everything

The problem is, points 1 & 2 generally destroy anything productive that would follow later

I don’t really want to put a win total # on this staff for year one. We’re not going to be very good and we have have 0 wiggle room for injuries. We’ve been pretty lucky injury wise the last few years so probably just a matter of time before the bug bites us. Here’s what i want to see:

1. Win or close losses in 10/12 games. I can stomach a couple of blowouts specifically to bama and Georgia but we need to be in every other game.

2. Creativity on offense and less rotation on the OL and really just in general. Same thing for position switching. They haven’t done any so far which is what JH said and i like it. I think there’s a few good candidates tho for switches.

3. Build recruiting momentum specifically in the summer before the season. Camps can start June 1st and apparently this staff has a couple big things planned and a couple new concepts like when top golf comes to neyland.

4. I want to see more man and man free defenses and mix up our pressures. We were way too vanilla on defense the last two years.

First off - thanks for this post. Agree with all.

1. Stay in the fight even in the blow-outs. If Arky can do it as they did last season - we better do it even better. Time to stop rolling over. Real Vols don't quit during games - ever.

2. We have always agreed on this one. Do your thing your way. Also - players have positions that fit them naturally. CJH knows this as he has said it. A few may need switching to find the natural fit. Most found it during HS. A quality O-lineman may find a position he plays better in college better than what he was in HS (Cade), but he is still an O-lineman and not a D-lineman. A natural receiver may have also played CB or S in HS, but he is still a natural receiver (Taylor). That sort of thing. If they play their natural positions, then it's all about improved technique and physical development instead of eliminating past habits and learning fundamentals where they have to think before acting. If the recruit wants to play a position that he is not naturally suited to play in the scheme/system - don't recruit him (Crouch). It causes a ripple effect of negativity for all involved. This one drives me bananas because it starts at the decision to recruit or not. We loved JJ as a WR and a HS QB. Great moments here. But, where would he be today if he had been developed at S in HS (where he also played) and college? Because that was his natural position.

3. 100%. Too early to freak out about recruiting. Let them do their thing.

4. 100%. Never thought that would happen with the supposed D-gurus we had as coaches on that side of the ball. It did.

My additions -

5. Find a leader QB with whom the players will go to war and pick him up when he gets knocked down. He doesn't have to be the most talented (see Tee Martin). Have the next leader at QB developed and ready to step in every season.

6. Related to #1. Redevelop what it means to be a Tennessee Vol. I have not seen that consistently for a very long time. You can have whatever system you choose to have - but the tradition of the program should be drilled into the kids as it is at Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, aTm, etc. We have our own that was trashed starting with Kiffin and his USCw BS. None of the coaches since Fulmer have full vested in it. Kiffin - USCw, Dools - UGA, Botch - Kelly's Big East model, Cornbread - Bama. I like that CJH is not bringing Okie's to us. I like that he has made his own way since his unjustified firing from his alma mater employer. I like that he jumped into a dumpster fire to put it out and understands our great tradition. I like that he wants to do it his way that is new and creative, yet, ties it to the Volunteer way. I plan to give him all the space and time he needs as long as the program trends in the right direction and I see these 6 points in play. Rooting for him, the staff and the players.

Sorry, did I miss something on that reporter talking about Milton still deciding between us and WSU? I thought he was already enrolled or on the directory and was seen on campus? I thought this was a done deal?

According to the Basilio blog, Milton was just toying with the reporter. Milton is even in Knoxville now, according to his sources and the UT coaches are expecting Milton to sign (commit) possibly as soon as next week.

A coach that fits the school and gets buy in from the team will over achieve in the first couple of years even if they lack the talent needed and then they will get the players to commit. Look around the country at some of the teams that have popped up out of nowhere over the last several years. We have had more talent than all of them but we have not had buy in and we have not had a coach that fit in since Fulmer and that is a fact. Its seems that Heupel is trying to fit in where none of the ones from the past have even made the effort. Think about it, the last Four coaches were a Prima Donna, an Idiot, a Snake Oil salesman, and a Bumpkin. None of those four wanted to fit in they wanted everything to change and they never really got the total buy in from anybody.

We have the talent needed and it seems the team is getting on board and those that don't fit are getting gone which is fine. Heupel seems to be a good fit so far and has a plan that can work. The wins will come and so will the players that want to be here.

Last edited:
I hope I’m wrong. The only place I think we have underdeveloped talent is on offense. I Think this defense is poop
We'll see. We have players on this defense. Our players didn't have a defensive line coach last year. You can't tell me that doesn't have an impact. Oh, and our linebackers didn't either. Brian Niedermeyer couldn't even get a job in the NFL as a scout. You know what he's doing right now? He's selling insurance. Seriously. So there were two position groups on our defense without coaching.

I don't know how good of a coach Brian Jean-Mary is, but I do know that Rodney is an elite DL coach. Will our DL be elite? No. But will they be improved? I don't see how they couldn't be. There's talent and experience there.

I hope I’m wrong. The only place I think we have underdeveloped talent is on offense. I Think this defense is poop
I think our defense has a chance to be fairly decent.... our defensive line has a chance to be average or above..... I really like our secondary although depth is a concern.... if the linebacker position ends up being average or above...... our defense will not be the weakness that people assume it will be.

I think our defense has a chance to be fairly decent.... our defensive line has a chance to be average or above..... I really like our secondary although depth is a concern.... if the linebacker position ends up being average or above...... our defense will not be the weakness that people assume it will be.
We need to do everything we can to land that transfer LB from Texas. That provides us instantly with experience and talent. He and Banks would likely be the starting two, and then we have depth behind them with Harrison, Joseph, French, Willis, and Garland. We're okay at DB, we lack depth. We need the freshman to be able to contribute right away. Maybe we can snag another DB from the portal or juco for depth purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back