Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
We need to do everything we can to land that transfer LB from Texas. That provides us instantly with experience and talent. He and Banks would likely be the starting two, and then we have depth behind them with Harrison, Joseph, French, Willis, and Garland. We're okay at DB, we lack depth. We need the freshman to be able to contribute right away. Maybe we can snag another DB from the portal or juco for depth purposes.
Yep I agree with everything you said..... I’m really looking forward to seeing if they can bring the heat..... a good pash rush will instantly improve all areas of the defense.

Reactions: Bassmaster_Vol
Yep I agree with everything you said..... I’m really looking forward to seeing if they can bring the heat..... a good pash rush will instantly improve all areas of the defense.
I'm reeeealy curious to see what we have in Eason and Young, two guys who either weren't on the team or the staff didn't play last year. Eason they say has put on weight up to 270 but still moves like a middle linebacker. He could be a force down the road.

We'll see. We have players on this defense. Our players didn't have a defensive line coach last year. You can't tell me that doesn't have an impact. Oh, and our linebackers didn't either. Brian Niedermeyer couldn't even get a job in the NFL as a scout. You know what he's doing right now? He's selling insurance. Seriously. So there were two position groups on our defense without coaching.

I don't know how good of a coach Brian Jean-Mary is, but I do know that Rodney is an elite DL coach. Will our DL be elite? No. But will they be improved? I don't see how they couldn't be. There's talent and experience there.
haha no wayyyy

They also claim that young is extremely fast
He looks like a beast. I mean, I don't want to put too much stock in it, but he's been the buzz of spring on the defense, not only from the coaches and media, but from the players also. Really hoping we have something there. Don't need him to be Barnett, can he be Taylor or close? Would be nice.

They're too complex for him. He has to work too hard to get them. Hurts his noggin.
tenor.gif

First off - thanks for this post. Agree with all.

1. Stay in the fight even in the blow-outs. If Arky can do it as they did last season - we better do it even better. Time to stop rolling over. Real Vols don't quit during games - ever.

2. We have always agreed on this one. Do your thing your way. Also - players have positions that fit them naturally. CJH knows this as he has said it. A few may need switching to find the natural fit. Most found it during HS. A quality O-lineman may find a position he plays better in college better than what he was in HS (Cade), but he is still an O-lineman and not a D-lineman. A natural receiver may have also played CB or S in HS, but he is still a natural receiver (Taylor). That sort of thing. If they play their natural positions, then it's all about improved technique and physical development instead of eliminating past habits and learning fundamentals where they have to think before acting. If the recruit wants to play a position that he is not naturally suited to play in the scheme/system - don't recruit him (Crouch). It causes a ripple effect of negativity for all involved. This one drives me bananas because it starts at the decision to recruit or not. We loved JJ as a WR and a HS QB. Great moments here. But, where would he be today if he had been developed at S in HS (where he also played) and college? Because that was his natural position.

3. 100%. Too early to freak out about recruiting. Let them do their thing.

4. 100%. Never thought that would happen with the supposed D-gurus we had as coaches on that side of the ball. It did.

My additions -

5. Find a leader QB with whom the players will go to war and pick him up when he gets knocked down. He doesn't have to be the most talented (see Tee Martin). Have the next leader at QB developed and ready to step in every season.

6. Related to #1. Redevelop what it means to be a Tennessee Vol. I have not seen that consistently for a very long time. You can have whatever system you choose to have - but the tradition of the program should be drilled into the kids as it is at Bama, UGA, UF, LSU, aTm, etc. We have our own that was trashed starting with Kiffin and his USCw BS. None of the coaches since Fulmer have full vested in it. Kiffin - USCw, Dools - UGA, Botch - Kelly's Big East model, Cornbread - Bama. I like that CJH is not bringing Okie's to us. I like that he has made his own way since his unjustified firing from his alma mater employer. I like that he jumped into a dumpster fire to put it out and understands our great tradition. I like that he wants to do it his way that is new and creative, yet, ties it to the Volunteer way. I plan to give him all the space and time he needs as long as the program trends in the right direction and I see these 6 points in play. Rooting for him, the staff and the players.

The only counter argument I will add is that Coach Fulmer had very good success switching some HS DL to OL. He did make those switches very early on in their career and stayed at OL after that. Fred Weary is one great example.

How do you know we won't be very good? The season hasn't even started. We've yet to see a real game, just a couple of scrimmages where we're not even at full strength. You're just guessing, Hank, and you're choosing to guess with negative connotations. I agree we can't afford serious injuries, and have said as much, several times, but we are not devoid of talent. We can, and should win 7 games IMO. I mean, damn, that's one game better than .500 and people are acting like it's an unreasonable expectation. Seriously, think about that. Why would anyone enter a season expecting a losing record and think that's okay? I know we have been through hell, but why would any Tennessee fan expect to lose? I'm not even sure you're a "fan" if you've already surrendered....

Dude you gotta chill on calling out people not being a fan because they’re not sunshine pumpers. That’s just life as a fan. All the sunshine pumpers on this board get over excited every season and get crushed with the end results. And the few years of success we’ve had, they celebrate like crazy with the rest of us. Cool. The negative side, which to me is not Catbone, never go full Catbone. That guy is negative about everything in life. We all know that. But as a fan to be negative for an upcoming season because of where we are as a program for now is fine. I’m hoping for 5 wins this year. A little negative negative for your sake. But if the team wins a lot more this year then I’ll be celebrating with everyone here, too. If not, then that sucks but hope for more improvements next year. I’m not here to say, told you so if we lose a lot this year. Who gives a s**t about that. The main point is we’re all passionate fans regardless of where we stand. Because anyone that can go through all these years of anguish and still be excited to watch them play in the fall is a true fan in my book no matter what.

Reactions: jave36 and VolByLaw
He looks like a beast. I mean, I don't want to put too much stock in it, but he's been the buzz of spring on the defense, not only from the coaches and media, but from the players also. Really hoping we have something there. Don't need him to be Barnett, can he be Taylor or close? Would be nice.
Yep one dominant/semi- dominant edge rusher makes a huge difference

How do you know we won't be very good? The season hasn't even started. We've yet to see a real game, just a couple of scrimmages where we're not even at full strength. You're just guessing, Hank, and you're choosing to guess with negative connotations. I agree we can't afford serious injuries, and have said as much, several times, but we are not devoid of talent. We can, and should win 7 games IMO. I mean, damn, that's one game better than .500 and people are acting like it's an unreasonable expectation. Seriously, think about that. Why would anyone enter a season expecting a losing record and think that's okay? I know we have been through hell, but why would any Tennessee fan expect to lose? I'm not even sure you're a "fan" if you've already surrendered....
When i said were not going to be very good that meant we’re not competing for the SEC. that doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure that out. But that doesn’t mean we couldn’t win 6,7, or even 8 games. I stand by saying this team COULD win 8 games because outside of Georgia, bama, and probably Florida were comparable or better roster wise. But when y out only have like literally 1 ILB with any kind of experience and he was a running back a year ago... that’s an issue. Its also year 1 of complete overhaul schematically speaking. That will help some players but some it won’t. You have to let the season play out. Whatever our record is at the end is what it is... i care more about how we got to whatever that record is and what the recruiting situation is looking like vs just looking at 2 numbers and saying: failure or good year.

We'll see. We have players on this defense. Our players didn't have a defensive line coach last year. You can't tell me that doesn't have an impact. Oh, and our linebackers didn't either. Brian Niedermeyer couldn't even get a job in the NFL as a scout. You know what he's doing right now? He's selling insurance. Seriously. So there were two position groups on our defense without coaching.

I don't know how good of a coach Brian Jean-Mary is, but I do know that Rodney is an elite DL coach. Will our DL be elite? No. But will they be improved? I don't see how they couldn't be. There's talent and experience there.
Dline is solid. Just really don’t like our LBs and secondary

When i said were not going to be very good that meant we’re not competing for the SEC. that doesn’t take a rocket surgeon to figure that out. But that doesn’t mean we couldn’t win 6,7, or even 8 games. I stand by saying this team COULD win 8 games because outside of Georgia, bama, and probably Florida were comparable or better roster wise. But when y out only have like literally 1 ILB with any kind of experience and he was a running back a year ago... that’s an issue. Its also year 1 of complete overhaul schematically speaking. That will help some players but some it won’t. You have to let the season play out. Whatever our record is at the end is what it is... i care more about how we got to whatever that record is and what the recruiting situation is looking like vs just looking at 2 numbers and saying: failure or good year.
How is this really any different than anything I said previously? I expect 7 wins barring major injuries. Anything less is a disappointment. Doesn't mean I think we should fire the coaches if we underachieve this year. But I will use this season as a barometer of what to expect from them.

Say we go 5-7. Win all OOC and beat candy and Kentucky.... but we lose close games to like Georgia, ole miss, and Florida. Can you really be that mad? Especially if recruiting is working itself out
honestly, after this off season and past season, I could live with that. Especially if they are close and competitive the whole game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back