Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jason witten didn’t come here as tight end..... al Wilson wasn’t originally a linebacker...moving around guys is smart but you need to identify the best position for them and leave them there so they can grow.
I was pointing out a highly rated DL who Fulmer switched to OL. Not a fan of switching personally if they were more noted at at another position. Layman was the first I noticed. I remember being bummed because I had built him up as a defensive force. He was pretty salty on the OL and had a NFL career. I was beyond annoyed at the musical chairs act from both Butch and Pruitt and wasn’t silent about it...whilst being otherwise supportive.

And your Jason Witten point is well known but Al Wilson was always going to be a LB and that’s where both UT and his second choice Notre Dame recruited him. Chavis tinkered with him at DB but that was mostly because they wanted to optimize his chances at snaps since they were loaded at LB...he played a lot anyway.

Wherever he goes I hope the staff does him a favor and moves him to RB. Or at the very least OLB. Unless they surgically remove those ankle weights he plays with, he's wasting his time at ILB if he wants to play at the next level.
You’d think both of those positions necessitate more speed than ILB.

Saw Matt Rhule brought up a couple days ago, and he's an interesting case study in expectation. I remember when he was hired at Baylor, and I was like meh, good for them. You guys know the record there before and after. There's no way to know if CJH is a Matt Rhule type hire, but its another example that illustrates how little we really know.

I was pointing out a highly rated DL who Fulmer switched to OL. Not a fan of switching personally if they were more noted at at another position. Layman was the first I noticed. I remember being bummed because I had built him up as a defensive force. He was pretty salty on the OL and had a NFL career. I was beyond annoyed at the musical chairs act from both Butch and Pruitt and wasn’t silent about it...whilst being otherwise supportive.

And your Jason Witten point is well known but Al Wilson was always going to be a LB and that’s where both UT and his second choice Notre Dame recruited him. Chavis tinkered with him at DB but that was mostly because they wanted to optimize his chances at snaps since they were loaded at LB...he played a lot anyway.
The key was that Al Wilson wasn’t a linebacker in high school..... the majority of high schools don’t have equal talent across the board.... that’s why quicker, more agile big men end up on defensive line and fatter slower ones end up on offensive line in high school...They also have a tendency to put their stud at running back when at the next level they will be a linebacker...... Recruiting the best players is good practice, imo...... the key is having a coach able to figure out where they will prosper the most..... Pruitt failed at that.

The key was that Al Wilson wasn’t a linebacker in high school..... the majority of high schools don’t have equal talent across the board.... that’s why quicker, more agile big men end up on defensive line and fatter slower ones end up on offensive line in high school...They also have a tendency to put their stud at running back when at the next level they will be a linebacker...... Recruiting the best players is good practice, imo...... the key is having a coach able to figure out where they will prosper the most..... Pruitt failed at that.
He wasn’t a DB either. He roved and had responsibilities covering both positions. Point was UT projected and recruited him as a LB and that’s where he played.

The only counter argument I will add is that Coach Fulmer had very good success switching some HS DL to OL. He did make those switches very early on in their career and stayed at OL after that. Fred Weary is one great example.

He did and stayed with it like you post. So, was the HS position they wanted to play their natural position or one the HS coach used to win more games or had simply let the player decide? Don't know, but I would suggest that Fulmer did a better job of moving them to their natural position than any of the HC's that followed him. The evidence is in the extremely high numbers of players he put in the NFL IMO.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
He wasn’t a DB either. He roved and had responsibilities covering both positions. Point was UT projected and recruited him as a LB and that’s where he played.
I would guess that every player that our coaches recruit that they have a position predicted for that player.... now it can change once they get to campus and you see them work every day.

Al was a running back in HS and was a freaking steam engine. On defense he played linebacker and was a QB for 1 year at Jackson Central Merry

I think our win range is 3-5 games. And I’m not going to think any less of Heupel; it’s just the hand he was dealt by the administration. Maybe he can wizard up enough offense to get us bowl eligible, but this defense is going to be bahhhd
Why is the defense going to be bad? We have virtually everyone back except at linebacker. Fully expect that void and depth to be filled in some serviceable manner and it’s not like that core played well last year.... DB’s are all back except Brice and Burrell and George will fill that role, Burrell perhaps better than Brice when all is said and done. Assume Jackson or Slaughter fill the Star position. Now the season after may be scary with the mass exodus at D Line...

Al was a running back in HS and was a freaking steam engine. On defense he played linebacker and was a QB for 1 year at Jackson Central Merry

I worked a couple track meets at USJ he was at, unbelievable athlete.

I was at the former Lambuth University my first year in school, and we would practice on JCM's track. I'm a year older than Al Wilson, and I had the privilege of watching him blow people up on the practice field as I was running laps. He was just different than everyone around him.

I worked a couple track meets at USJ he was at, unbelievable athlete.

I was at the former Lambuth University my first year in school, and we would practice on JCM's track. I'm a year older than Al Wilson, and I had the privilege of watching him blow people up on the practice field as I was running laps. He was just different than everyone around him.
Ahhhhh Lambuth. Hugh Freeze did well in Jackson.
Did yall have armed guards with you at Rothrock Stadium?

Yep I agree with everything you said..... I’m really looking forward to seeing if they can bring the heat..... a good pash rush will instantly improve all areas of the defense.
That D line mirror technique slowed us up in the pass rush. It’s reactionary rather than aggressive. Exposed or LB coverage and safeties from time to time. Pass rush is everything and we will be much improved in that category this year.

Saw Matt Rhule brought up a couple days ago, and he's an interesting case study in expectation. I remember when he was hired at Baylor, and I was like meh, good for them. You guys know the record there before and after. There's no way to know if CJH is a Matt Rhule type hire, but its another example that illustrates how little we really know.

Much truth in this post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back