Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good scientists should seriously be raising hell that their profession has lost so much credibility due to colleagues that are either lazy or ideological and a media that is enabling and promoting their junk works. I’ve heard some, but unfortunately they receive very little coverage or fanfare.
Many have to rely on funding to make a living. Often that funding comes at a price on their objectivity. You play ball you get paid. You don't, no funding.

I'm 61 years old and have seen a few changes that have added up to big problems in society IMHO. Four generations or so ago people worked hard to provide and just get by. Three generations ago people worked hard to make it better for their kids. My generation worked made good money and tried to give their kids what that wanted. This generation has had so much given to them they don't know how to work nor do they want too. This is just a broad generalization but if you think about it and look around it seems to have some validity.

Watch the “debate” (actually really good conversation) between Peterson and Slavoj Zizek on Marxism. He was criticizing Marx’s call for “Bloody Violent Revolution” and when he said those words there was a small contingent in the crowd that cheered very loudly. He stopped and had this look on his face like “Really”? You could see the disgust in his reaction that all the pampered 1st world kids were reacting they were to things they can not understand.
I watched this debate with my girlfriend. I wasn’t surprised. She went to a private school with actual good professors so she was shocked and appalled. But I expected as much and would’ve been surprised had they not cheered.

They also laughed at him saying capitalism makes everyone richer, and at virtually every positive thing he said of the system.

I'm 61 years old and have seen a few changes that have added up to big problems in society IMHO. Four generations or so ago people worked hard to provide and just get by. Three generations ago people worked hard to make it better for their kids. My generation worked made good money and tried to give their kids what that wanted. This generation has had so much given to them they don't know how to work nor do they want too. This is just a broad generalization but if you think about it and look around it seems to have some validity.

My dad makes a lot of money. I mean he’s not bill gates, but he’s definitely in the upper crust of South Carolina’s wage earners at least. I didn’t see much of any of it. He actually would joke to girlfriends that “I have money, he doesn’t have any money.”

I appreciated that, it made me figure out rather quickly that I can’t do frivolous things. I couldn’t go to college to learn feminist dance therapy or whatever the **** and be angry when there weren’t any jobs available.. especially since I have to pay back those loans myself. He helps me out more financially as an adult than he ever did as a child, which seems ass backwards.. but it taught me to appreciate earning anything and to expect to have to work to get it.

Many have to rely on funding to make a living. Often that funding comes at a price on their objectivity. You play ball you get paid. You don't, no funding.

Government subsidizing financially unviable business practices has destroyed the economy and small businesses because apparently some are just “too big to fail.” What a ridiculous idea. If you’re so stupid that you run a multi billion dollar company into the abyss then you deserve to fail.

I know you’re talking about science, but that’s equally insane. You should read some of the things the government gives millions upon millions to study in Rand Paul’s annual “airing of grievances”.

My dad makes a lot of money. I mean he’s not bill gates, but he’s definitely in the upper crust of South Carolina’s wage earners at least. I didn’t see much of any of it. He actually would joke to girlfriends that “I have money, he doesn’t have any money.”

I appreciated that, it made me figure out rather quickly that I can’t do frivolous things. I couldn’t go to college to learn feminist dance therapy or whatever the **** and be angry when there weren’t any jobs available.. especially since I have to pay back those loans myself. He helps me out more financially as an adult than he ever did as a child, which seems ass backwards.. but it taught me to appreciate earning anything and to expect to have to work to get it.

Remember these thoughts are coming from someone that plays with Crayons and coloring books and is on a steady diet of SKITTLES !!!!

I try to make sure my kids experience things, but they also contribute to our family. We don't give allowances, but if you work and do chores then you get paid. I don't want them thinking that they can sit around watching tv and just get money handed to them. If they don't work they don't get paid. Just like in the real world....if you don't go to work then you shouldn't get paid. If you go to college and get a degree in gender studies then you are probably going to have a difficult time finding work and if you do your paycheck will not have a whole lot of digits.

I try to make sure my kids experience things, but they also contribute to our family. We don't give allowances, but if you work and do chores then you get paid. I don't want them thinking that they can sit around watching tv and just get money handed to them. If they don't work they don't get paid. Just like in the real world....if you don't go to work then you shouldn't get paid. If you go to college and get a degree in gender studies then you are probably going to have a difficult time finding work and if you do your paycheck will not have a whole lot of digits.
I think your not alone but there are just as many that think they have a need to be a friend instead of a parent. How many kids have you seen that have been given everything and when you talk to their parents the kid in their eyes is perfect as he or she is throwing a hissy fit in the background because something didn't go their way and it doesn't matter if the kid was 2 or 20.

I think your not alone but there are just as many that think they have a need to be a friend instead of a parent. How many kids have you seen that have been given everything and when you talk to their parents the kid in their eyes is perfect as he or she is throwing a hissy fit because something didn't go their way and it doesn't matter if the kid was 2 or 20.

I had a friend in high school that had the newest Xbox, PlayStation, iPhones, Shoes, everything as soon as it came out.. And going to his house was brutally uncomfortable for me because I (at that point in my life) hadn't seen anyone literally cuss out their parents. I was scared to death for him, then I realized doing that was how he got his way.. then I started to feel bad for his spineless parents

That's the cycle of mankind.

“Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.”

Social media has more to do with our present situation than anything. If you think the world is flat, the sky is purple and rocks talk to people, you can find a group of people that will agree with you on the Web......We're not strange everybody else is.

The problem is that we only seek out those that agree with us. Before social media, we would at least stumble across dissenting views as we searched for knowledge. Now we can filter out all dissent and just see what we want or what validates our ideas. We block out any ideas that don't line up with our pre-conceived notions and so our society no longer challenges our ideas and we stop growing.

I think your not alone but there are just as many that think they have a need to be a friend instead of a parent. How many kids have you seen that have been given everything and when you talk to their parents the kid in their eyes is perfect as he or she is throwing a hissy fit in the background because something didn't go their way and it doesn't matter if the kid was 2 or 20.

Oh, I agree. My wife substitute teachers at a school where the parents run the show and their little angels would never do anything wrong. The parents would rather their kids like them than be actual parents. My kids are ticked off at me on a regular basis because their butts screw up and get punished. Sorry. Nowhere in my job description as a father does it say I am graded on whether my kids like me or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back