Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this game day magazine from September 1988 Vols vs Duke. Took some pictures that I thought you guys would enjoy of the staff and players. Some that went on to be legends in the NFL like Stanley Morgan. There is a write up of a young Tim Priest also. Some players that have coached her. Hope you enjoy!
My cousin is in one of those pics. Randy hall

The entire economy operates on supply and demand. Why stop at the scalpers? Does Nike not create artificial scarcity every time they release a pair of jordans that cost $1 to make and sell them for $250? Lets just price fix everything since its so evil.

Jordans are collectibles you dolt! LMFAO Collectibles are the definition of speculative. What are the alternatives you have to buying Vols tickets? You can go buy new balances for $20 that do the same thing as jordans.

I can't believe you typed all that out just to make a fool of yourself. Supply is going to be horizontal there buddy. The chart might work for the second hand market but the whole discussion is that people are bastards for making that market on sports tickets. So I clearly disagree with "making $ is not bad ever" and you and Lowe probably do too since you would think that snake oil salesmen are indeed bad. I'm just assuming ticket scalpers fall on the moral side of the line for professions for you and you don't really have a good reason why except for "makes money".

I don't need advice on buying tickets, I'm subjected to them yearly as well. Scalpers need advice on making a living morally.
The games are on TV ...... the stadium will be full...... I don’t see the issue.

we object to snake oil salesmen because they sell things based on lies. I don't like mega churches because they're selling god for profit and offer nothing of any real substance to their congregation. Selling tickets is at least something of value. See the difference?

What real substance do scalpers offer??????!!!! Their "service" is buying the ticket before anyone else.

Jordans are collectibles you dolt! LMFAO Collectibles are the definition of speculative. What are the alternatives you have to buying Vols tickets? You can go buy new balances for $20 that do the same thing as jordans.
Lol. By that logic you can buy tickets to the Columbia, SC super regional for face value and be just as happy.

Tickets shouldn't be a speculative asset. People are just trying to attend games and cheer on their favorite team. You're literally making $ because you dialed quicker or knew someone with season tix. Is it hard to grasp that you're a complete POS if you do this? Get another gig, there's plenty out there.
I'm assuming you are against the band of pickpocketing gypsy orphans that @SergeantVol has scouring the crowded markets?

Tickets shouldn't be a speculative asset. People are just trying to attend games and cheer on their favorite team. You're literally making $ because you dialed quicker or knew someone with season tix. Is it hard to grasp that you're a complete POS if you do this? Get another gig, there's plenty out there.
Why are you blaming people who are following human nature and trying to maximize their profit? Why not blame the morons in charge who have an army of economists literally at their disposal on campus to help them price and sell tickets in such a way that it becomes unprofitable for scalpers to do what they do, and on top of it make more money for the university? The school (and most ticketing processes) are archaic and inefficient, but most are too lazy to change them. There are entire Ph. D dissertations on how it could be done better, and everyone in charge is too lazy to implement one of a million different, better options.

Don't hate the players, hate the game (or the league office, if you want to stretch the metaphor).

watching the game at home?

Exactly right. But that's not the market we are discussing. The alternative in this situation is a comcast subscription, which most people already have so it's hardly worth noting the increased sales to comcast. The only market we are discussing is a ticket to attend a game at LNS. If there were another ticket to get you into LNS like a standing room only that would be comparable.

The games are on TV ...... the stadium will be full...... I don’t see the issue.
If the games werent on TV, id have a bigger issue with it, but i do think its dumb to pay what scalpers want sometimes. $500+ to deal with traffic, drunks and who knows what else or $40 for some burgers and beer and I can sit on the couch at home. But to each their own.

Yes it does, comrade. Free market economy. If they set the prices too high and folks don't want to pay then they will lower the prices.
If people are willing to pay scalpers $200 a ticket, why isn't the university just selling them for $150 - $200 a ticket? Why is there an instant tripling in price of tickets the second the university (or professional sports team) sells them? Why not just price them higher to start with instead of feeding the scalpers? Makes no sense to me.

Why are you blaming people who are following human nature and trying to maximize their profit? Why not blame the morons in charge who have an army of economists literally at their disposal on campus to help them price and sell tickets in such a way that it becomes unprofitable for scalpers to do what they do, and on top of it make more money for the university? The school (and most ticketing processes) are archaic and inefficient, but most are too lazy to change them. There are entire Ph. D dissertations on how it could be done better, and everyone in charge is too lazy to implement one of a million different, better options.

Don't hate the players, hate the game (or the league office, if you want to stretch the metaphor).

I hate the players and the game. I do wish they would change it to find a better way to get tickets into the actual attendees' hands but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist presently, for reasons you listed or other. I'm not in charge of UT but I am in charge of me. I could, and have, bought and sold tickets for a profit, but I grew up and realized that it was a completely shi**y thing to do for a few hundred bucks.

If people are willing to pay scalpers $200 a ticket, why isn't the university just selling them for $150 - $200 a ticket? Why is there an instant tripling in price of tickets the second the university (or professional sports team) sells them? Why not just price them higher to start with instead of feeding the scalpers? Makes no sense to me.

Google "publicly funded university".

I hate the players and the game. I do wish they would change it to find a better way to get tickets into the actual attendees' hands but I'm pretty sure it doesn't exist presently, for reasons you listed or other. I'm not in charge of UT but I am in charge of me. I could, and have, bought and sold tickets for a profit, but I grew up and realized that it was a completely shi**y thing to do for a few hundred bucks.
I just don't see it that way. It's business. If it were something people needed to survive and you somehow had a monopoly on it and were bankrupting people, I could see how that would make you a bad human. But making money off of a broken system that could easily be fixed doesn't make you bad, imo.

Not at all. That's not the same market. Tickets to certain events are a singular good.
Then so are Jordan’s. Imagine you’re a huge jordan fan, but can’t afford his shoes. So someone says “here these new balances are the same thing for a lot cheaper”

How would you feel? About the same as someone saying to go to another super regional if you don’t like the price of Tennessee’s?

Then so are Jordan’s. Imagine you’re a huge jordan fan, but can’t afford his shoes. So someone says “here these new balances are the same thing for a lot cheaper”

How would you feel? About the same as someone saying to go to another super regional if you don’t like the price of Tennessee’s?

If you're a huge Jordan fan and want his shoes and can't afford them then you were in the same boat as Vol fans and these tickets about 20 years ago. My entire adult life Jordan's have been a collectible and demanded insane prices. You could get into LNS for free a few years ago, and here come scalpers to just ruin it when the team gets popular.

The Jordans market was created 20 years ago and has been that way my entire adult life. The LNS ticket market is popping up on opportunity by scum. Vol fans didn't ask for it, neither do fans of any other teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back