Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you're a huge Jordan fan and want his shoes and can't afford them then you were in the same boat as Vol fans and these tickets about 20 years ago. My entire adult life Jordan's have been a collectible and demanded insane prices. You could get into LNS for free a few years ago, and here come scalpers to just ruin it when the team gets popular.

The Jordans market was created 20 years ago and has been that way my entire adult life. The LNS ticket market is popping up on opportunity by scum. Vol fans didn't ask for it, neither do fans of any other teams.

Well if the team starts sucking so bad that only 10 people go to the game then you’ll get your cheap tickets back. You can’t have both. You should know that the better a team is, the more expensive it is to see them.

I’m 100% bought in...... can’t wait to drive from North Carolina to attend the Thursday night game..... I’m still working on my wife on the importance of my son missing two days of school to attend a football game.
Wade into the pool slowly. I wasn't sure about Pruitt but bought in only to be let down. I'll keep my gaurd up a little longer.

Well if the team starts sucking so bad that only 10 people go to the game then you’ll get your cheap tickets back. You can’t have both. You should know that the better a team is, the more expensive it is to see them.

I'll get them back? I'm not interested in going for $8 a ticket so don't worry about me. My whole point was that it's more expensive because people like something a lot and people are preying on that. Jave is correct in saying it needs to be fixed by the admins of these tickets, but it doesn't make the scalpers not a complete POS for exploiting that popularity.

I'll get them back? I'm not interested in going for $8 a ticket so don't worry about me. My whole point was that it's more expensive because people like something a lot and people are preying on that. Jave is correct in saying it needs to be fixed by the admins of these tickets, but it doesn't make the scalpers not a complete POS for exploiting that popularity.
what difference does it make who is charging $500 a ticket? Then you'd just bitch about UTAD charging too much too.

I can't believe you typed all that out just to make a fool of yourself. Supply is going to be horizontal there buddy. The chart might work for the second hand market but the whole discussion is that people are bastards for making that market on sports tickets. So I clearly disagree with "making $ is not bad ever" and you and Lowe probably do too since you would think that snake oil salesmen are indeed bad. I'm just assuming ticket scalpers fall on the moral side of the line for professions for you and you don't really have a good reason why except for "makes money".

I don't need advice on buying tickets, I'm subjected to them yearly as well. Scalpers need advice on making a living morally.

I have no opinion on the matter but it is an odd hill to make your moral stand on.

Nazis, child abusers, rapists .... and ticket scalpers?

I can't believe you typed all that out just to make a fool of yourself. Supply is going to be horizontal there buddy. The chart might work for the second hand market but the whole discussion is that people are bastards for making that market on sports tickets. So I clearly disagree with "making $ is not bad ever" and you and Lowe probably do too since you would think that snake oil salesmen are indeed bad. I'm just assuming ticket scalpers fall on the moral side of the line for professions for you and you don't really have a good reason why except for "makes money".

I don't need advice on buying tickets, I'm subjected to them yearly as well. Scalpers need advice on making a living morally.

The supply will be static but it won't be horizontal. Set number of tickets, so supply is low. Demand is higher than cloud sh** because it is a super regional and we haven't been to one since Jesus was a freshman. If someone only wants 2 tickets but has the opportunity to buy 8 tickets and they have the good biness sense to do so in order to resale at a profit then who am I to complain. There is a set amount of money that I would be willing to spend on actually going to a game. If the cost goes above that then I will sit my happy backside on my couch with my Captain Morgan and Sprite Zero and enjoy the sh** out of us whooping LSU up one side and down the other. If the cost is within my range and I want to drive the three hours to Knoxville, then I'll go watch us whoop the sh** out of LSU in person. Either way, I'm gonna enjoy myself.

Wow. Luke McCaffery transferring from Louisville already lol. I wonder how many of these kids that go to a school and transfer within 6 months just take booster money and leave. What can they do? Anything they say will out them for cheating.
If it was like it was at tennessee during the 90’s..... you had a continuous flow of cash.... not sure how much up front....

How do you fix it?

Jordans are collectibles you dolt! LMFAO Collectibles are the definition of speculative. What are the alternatives you have to buying Vols tickets? You can go buy new balances for $20 that do the same thing as jordans.

Oh. So there are a limited number of Jordan's made each year and so they are a collectible and so charging through the nose is ok? Shouldn't everyone who wants a pair of Jordan's have access to them at a reasonable price? Or maybe it is the same thing with the tickets, and the experience of going to the ballgame will be a memory that only a limited number of people will be able to collect. Since lot's of people want that memory, the cost of collecting it is going to be higher.

Oh. So there are a limited number of Jordan's made each year and so they are a collectible and so charging through the nose is ok? Shouldn't everyone who wants a pair of Jordan's have access to them at a reasonable price? Or maybe it is the same thing with the tickets, and the experience of going to the ballgame will be a memory that only a limited number of people will be able to collect. Since lot's of people want that memory, the cost of collecting it is going to be higher.
Or toys at Christmas time..... PlayStation 5 or tickle me Elmo.

Reactions: SweetasSoda
A74F95B4B21572CEBDC65E8083BF0F4513E7A95D

I have no opinion on the matter but it is an odd hill to make your moral stand on.

Nazis, child abusers, rapists .... and ticket scalpers?

I don’t have an opinion on the matter? Uh, I’d say I do. I’m subjected to scalpers too. Not in this particular instance.

We were discussing scalpers no the other 3.

Kind of. The speculative ticket market only appears where people are having a good time and attending games, it’s temporary. Some douche in Montana can call and buy tix. Meanwhile Knox residents get punished for supporting their team. The people buying them for $500 still would rather pay $8. The Jordan market appeared 20 years ago and has pretty much been rolling ever since. Shoes hold and their values change. The ticket will be worthless past next week.

Yes it does, comrade. Free market economy. If they set the prices too high and folks don't want to pay then they will lower the prices.
The issue with scalpers is they create an artificial market. They use bots to buy up tons of tickets to huge events...create false scarcity, then can get much more than normal. While it is still a market (the prices will be what the market will bear), it's not a free market. A strong free market needs some transparency, not manipulation.

Last edited:
If people are willing to pay scalpers $200 a ticket, why isn't the university just selling them for $150 - $200 a ticket? Why is there an instant tripling in price of tickets the second the university (or professional sports team) sells them? Why not just price them higher to start with instead of feeding the scalpers? Makes no sense to me.
Great post.

Reactions: jave36
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back