Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
So Arkansas State seems to hover around 90th in recruiting. Will be interesting to see if Butch Jones can improve that for them.

Apparently they are in a great location for recruiting and have facilities to rival Power 5 schools. I also think Major Applewhite as the OC will have them exciting to watch offensively.
The number of players that are going to end up in the portal with nowhere to go will also benefit butch.

So Arkansas State seems to hover around 90th in recruiting. Will be interesting to see if Butch Jones can improve that for them.

Apparently they are in a great location for recruiting and have facilities to rival Power 5 schools. I also think Major Applewhite as the OC will have them exciting to watch offensively.
I live near AState. Great facilities and no coach has ever taken advantage of Memphis being so close. Big problem is HS football in Arkansas has no prospects. Only a handful of FBS prospects in the whole state.

Reactions: Vols4us
i feel like most peeps fav character would be floki
that'd be a no.
0b8a74470512ab2c93b0934d5a46e69d.gif

I live near AState. Great facilities and no coach has ever taken advantage of Memphis being so close. Big problem is HS football in Arkansas has no prospects. Only a handful of FBS prospects in the whole state.

Funny you say that, guess where Butch's highest rated (and first recruit as HC) is from?

Collierville, TN

Reactions: ArdentVol
The ole hunting over bait charge... know a few guys who have caught that one. Easily avoidable, like my favorite- failure to appear.
do what you do.

id be the guy that gets arrested then somehow gets worlds first Felonious baiting charge, just, because. Murphy.

Reactions: SD189
they have the same basic issues we do. and what drove their decision, at last as it seems right now, didn't make a ton of sense.

they have to play bama and UGA too, plus LSU, aTm...so their road to the division is as difficult as ours.
they have a dysfunctional booster/admin as well
they have to recruit against the same guys we do
they just fired a guy that has the most wins v. Saban in the SEC, won the west a few times, won a conf title and played for a natty....and had a winning record in an all SEC schedule...and still fired him.....so any legit candidate that they think could take them up a level from that, has to wonder "what's good enough, cause Gus didn't suck?"
--at least by the time we've fired guys, it's cratered....i think that's a good thing? lol
--of course, the leverage is in the buyout, so you can get guaranteed money there....just depends on what's important to the candidate.

there's a lot of similarities between Auburn and TN for the purposes of this particular topic.

and given what Pruitt has done here, no one would be shocked/surprised if he got fired. it's not better than it was 3 years ago, no one can really refute that.

but i don't think either program deserves a ton of confidence from the top tier candidates.....so, if you're Tennessee, i think you're paying very close attention to what happens down there, and it may be better for us to just see what happens, and let the dust settle.

plus the new TV deal is gonna change things again as far as money goes. so everyone will be able to over pay for coaches....money just isn't gonna be the primary motivator for coaches anymore, and it really hasn't been for a while....at least for that upper middle/top tier group.
Big difference, Auburn has been looking to get out of the Gus cycle, he’s lost then won big, then lost...
this was their chance.
Auburn however has a coach on their staff who has been doing a stellar job with his unit for years.
So promoting Steele shouldn’t seem bad at all. his defenses have been too 20 nationally every year.
On the flip side, Gus was the offensive guru who has missed on every QB he’s brought in besides Nick Marshall (which was pure luck with his position switch)
No candidate will shy away from Auburn Bc Gus got fired.

money has always been the main motivator for coaches and it remains so. Every new hire has a bigger salary than the previous big hire. Every buy out number is bigger.

Reactions: nicksjuzunk

The thing about hiring Butch is that he's a job hopper, and Arkansas St needs a guy who will stay for several years. That's really the only drawback that program has at their level...they can't get head coaches to stay for all that long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back