Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the exact opposite is true. HB looks to be developing fine at QB, Taylor and Thompson will both play at the next level, Crouch gets better every game, HenryT gets better every week making a different type of play for us, Morris has been injured, Banks has never been a top prospect at any position and he looks decent. Those guys are developing fine, maybe as many as 5 or 6 pros on your list, how many did we have when he got here?
C'mon man. JG, Maurer, or Shrout have not developed one iota in 3 years. Too soon to tell with HB. Neither Taylor or Thompson are good SEC corners. These guys should both be 2nd or 3rd team all-SEC kind of players. Perhaps Taylor should have stuck to QB, because he hasn't developed into a great corner despite his head coach being a DB "guru." Crouch has no idea what he's doing at LB and stinks in pass coverage. Same with Banks, plus he's a hothead. Henry T is good but hasn't improved at all from last season and isn't good in pass coverage either.

Outside of Darrell Taylor and (kind of) Nigel Warrior, I'm not really sure how many of these guys have gotten developed.

I think the exact opposite is true. HB looks to be developing fine at QB, Taylor and Thompson will both play at the next level, Crouch gets better every game, HenryT gets better every week making a different type of play for us, Morris has been injured, Banks has never been a top prospect at any position and he looks decent. Those guys are developing fine, maybe as many as 5 or 6 pros on your list, how many did we have when he got here?
Not convinced Thompson and Taylor are next level players.

Also, I’m not sold on Pruitt. I still don’t know if he should be out or not. When he was hired it was stated multiple times that he needed 5 years to make Tennessee competitive.

COVID-19 happened. Which was not good and kept a lot of young players from getting to play who I am almost certain Pruitt wanted and needed to play.

The way we were “allowed” to lose because of coaching mistakes by not playing a different QB etc. was rough for sure. Maybe it was a learning point.

Anyways, I think we will be competitive next year. How competitive I do not know but you can see all of the athletic ability the Freshman class has, and due to COVID-19 most of them weren’t able to see the field.

Should be interesting.

The only reason to bring him back is if we strike out with all suitable replacements over the next 4 days.

Reactions: InVOLuntary
Lowe is probably the most doom and gloom media personality out there concerning UT football. But he might be the most accurate, IDK. He has seemed resigned to the fact that the Vols relevance is long since over due to various obstacles.
He's one of the very, very few media people (national or regional/local) that will openly talk about how Tennessee's struggles are largely self-inflicted.

Reactions: Aesius
I mean a top 15 class after the season we've had would be fine by me. If I have to swallow Pruitt getting another season then I will.

Still going to pull for my guys, I just hope Weinke and Friend are shown the door. I feel like I can excuse most the other positional coaches for various reasons, even Chaney. I mean Nieds, Felton, O all first year at their spots and with no off-season reps to get their guys ready. But Weinke & Friend have been here under Pruitt since his first day, and despite having arguably the most talent in their rooms have delivered less with more. Maurer & JT both were high rated 3 star guys, then you add a fringe 5 star in Bailey. For all we hate about JG he himself was also a 4 star and top 100 national player. Not to mention Kasim Hill ya pulled on as a PWO who was a 4 star outta HS. Also brought in Chryst as a grad transfer another former 4 star QB. We all know what the OL talent is, no need to point it out.

Those 2 positions QB/OL are the most crucial to offensive success, and that's where we have the most dead weight in player development. So if Pruitt returns both of them shouldn't.

I still think so. There used to be a time where I'd say we had about 5 more or less legit insiders and they would bring useful info to the board. Now we get vague posts and gifs and then they run back to say "I told you so" every time something happens like they called it?

In the last 5-8 years the only thing Larry has really said is Gruden wasn’t coming, our teams wouldn’t do well and now this. He doesn’t really say a lot when it comes to “inside info”

The no Gruden info came from Hubbs Now this info now aligns with Hubbs.

If we were winning, I'd care less about recruiting. When you're losing, how you're doing in recruiting becomes more important.
Considering how we're losing need to get talent to start moving up. Think we are. Yeah, I wish we had won 7 or 8 games with having nonconference teams on the schedule, and HB would have been playing and developing to get us excited about next year. Add to that a top 10 class. But since we did not the class is better than what I was afraid it was going to be.

LOL! You used Bailey! Lol!!! If you think our coaches have developed Bailey at all. I just can’t. He is who he is because of the coaches at Marietta.

C'mon man. JG, Maurer, or Shrout have not developed one iota in 3 years. Too soon to tell with HB. Neither Taylor or Thompson are good SEC corners. These guys should both be 2nd or 3rd team all-SEC kind of players. Perhaps Taylor should have stuck to QB, because he hasn't developed into a great corner despite his head coach being a DB "guru." Crouch has no idea what he's doing at LB and stinks in pass coverage. Same with Banks, plus he's a hothead. Henry T is good but hasn't improved at all from last season and isn't good in pass coverage either.

Outside of Darrell Taylor and (kind of) Nigel Warrior, I'm not really sure how many of these guys have gotten developed.

Deandre Johnson, Kivon Bennett, and maybe Matthew Butler have been developed. I didn't expect the kind of production we have gotten from them. So, it's been moreso with the 3 star type recruits.

I agree that something has happened in the secondary although BT is a good player. Taylor has regressed. The LB's need help, and in hindsight, I think losing Sherrer and Rumph hurt their development.

All that to say, if we played a different QB from the UK game on, we may have 1-2 more wins. I know some don't agree, but I think we look like a different team if we can get a QB developed and not give up as many points.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I'm like 8 hours behind but I believe this is the best case scenario if Pruitt is not fired this season. Gus Malzahn, on staff, could make for a smooth transition to interim/head coach next season when/if the wheels fall off.

If JP is gone Sunday or Monday (I think he is) then hire/announce Freeze on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

Just don't fire JP without the next coach already locked in. I enjoy other schools' drama and foolishness, a lot more than I do ours.

I'm like 18 hours behind but this is a best case scenario if Pruitt is not fired this season. Gus Malzahn, on staff, could make for a smooth transition to interim/head coach next season when/if the wheels fall off.

If JP is gone Sunday or Monday (I think he is) then hire/announce Freeze on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

Just don't fire JP without the next coach already locked in. I enjoy other schools' drama and foolishness, a lot more than I do ours.

No faith that he would even take the job.

Could work though!

Chris Lowe on Swain Podcast this morning thinks Pruitt is coming back but what else is he going to say

I mean, what is he supposed to say?

I don’t think we hear any different this week leading up the game. Maybe, Friday we start to get the “I’m now starting to think it’s 50/50” type statements from Hubbs, Lowe, etc.

If that happens, I think he’s gone. If they stay firm at “I think he’s back” leading up to the game or after the game Saturday night, then I won’t hold my breath.

I've been thinking about Pruitt's 1stbyear and even his 2nd year and obviously this year, and what I've noticed is that in my opinion something has happened this off season. Pruitt had no fire on the sideline at any point during any game this season. No white boards was kicked, no face masks was jerked and nobody's butt was chewed!! Someone who knows more than me please shed some light on why the drastic change in coaching style?

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back