Recruiting Forum Football Talk III

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm like 8 hours behind but I believe this is the best case scenario if Pruitt is not fired this season. Gus Malzahn, on staff, could make for a smooth transition to interim/head coach next season when/if the wheels fall off.

If JP is gone Sunday or Monday (I think he is) then hire/announce Freeze on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday.

Just don't fire JP without the next coach already locked in. I enjoy other schools' drama and foolishness, a lot more than I do ours.

I think Pruitt should be fired ASAP. With that being said, I agree 100% with your statement. We can't afford another debacle like our last search.

C'mon man. JG, Maurer, or Shrout have not developed one iota in 3 years. Too soon to tell with HB. Neither Taylor or Thompson are good SEC corners. These guys should both be 2nd or 3rd team all-SEC kind of players. Perhaps Taylor should have stuck to QB, because he hasn't developed into a great corner despite his head coach being a DB "guru." Crouch has no idea what he's doing at LB and stinks in pass coverage. Same with Banks, plus he's a hothead. Henry T is good but hasn't improved at all from last season and isn't good in pass coverage either.

Outside of Darrell Taylor and (kind of) Nigel Warrior, I'm not really sure how many of these guys have gotten developed.

Pruitt was handed JG and he just is what he is. Then only had about 2 weeks to get a QB his first year (Shrout) and he is what he is too. The next year he got Maurer and that is showing itself to be a missed evaluation by the staff. Then we don't really know what HB will be, but things seem to be trending positively for him.

All this is to say you can't turn chicken $h!+ into chicken salad and recruiting an elite QB usually takes time, which is how they got HB.

Reactions: VolsDoc81TX
I doubt Pruitt’s future here is even determined yet. If our insiders info is correct then we’re just now putting out feelers to see who is willing and ready. We’re in no man’s land.

So if Pruitt gets a big endorsement from Fulmer in the next few days then you have your answer and it’s 12 more months of CJP.

Also, I’m not sold on Pruitt. I still don’t know if he should be out or not. When he was hired it was stated multiple times that he needed 5 years to make Tennessee competitive.

COVID-19 happened. Which was not good and kept a lot of young players from getting to play who I am almost certain Pruitt wanted and needed to play.

The way we were “allowed” to lose because of coaching mistakes by not playing a different QB etc. was rough for sure. Maybe it was a learning point.

Anyways, I think we will be competitive next year. How competitive I do not know but you can see all of the athletic ability the Freshman class has, and due to COVID-19 most of them weren’t able to see the field.

Should be interesting.
He definitely still has a chance. As much as I want to go to Freeze, if Pruitt comes back next year, I'd about guarantee he's here in 2022 also.

He'll have a whole offseason to fix the defense. He will, a lot of that will be because these young players who are clearly the most talented on the team will have a full spring, summer, and fall for the coaches to see them practice. We know how important that is! Sometime over the summer Pruitt will remember how to defend the slant and the defense will be better next year.

HB being the guy will also elevate the offense, especially if Pruitt makes good offensive coaching changes.

Is he the guy? No. Will he ever win big here? No. Should we hire Freeze? Yes. But chances are he comes back next year, wins 7-8 games, is back in 2022 as well and we'll see what happens.

Easy to say until a game warden steps out and takes your gun, boat and truck like they did my uncle after they found a corn feeder on his property and he took a nice buck over it.

If it's on your land you're good unless it's an endangered species.

Pruitt was handed JG and he just is what he is. Then only had about 2 weeks to get a QB his first year (Shrout) and he is what he is too. The next year he got Maurer and that is showing itself to be a missed evaluation by the staff. Then we don't really know what HB will be, but things seem to be trending positively for him.

All this is to say you can't turn chicken $h!+ into chicken salad and recruiting an elite QB usually takes time, which is how they got HB.
Take a grad transfer QB the last two years if you missed on QBs. We didn’t. Have to stop making excuses. Look at UF, they crushed the transfer portal for needs. We didn’t.

Reactions: Odiodin
Also, I wish we could just fire him before the A&M game so I could cheer for our team without those thoughts in the back of my head "****, did that just save his job?" Lol

Reactions: seaofORANGE22
Our coaches are ELITE evaluators. We didn't want a bunch of guys who went to Ga, Clemson, and OSU
You aren't stupid and you know that wanting and realistically getting are two totally different things. If the coaches knew there was NO WAY they were getting a player, then it wouldn't have been a good use of time or resources. And you would be the first one complaining about wasting time on recruits they aren't getting.

Reactions: hooter vol
I've been thinking about Pruitt's 1stbyear and even his 2nd year and obviously this year, and what I've noticed is that in my opinion something has happened this off season. Pruitt had no fire on the sideline at any point during any game this season. No white boards was kicked, no face masks was jerked and nobody's butt was chewed!! Someone who knows more than me please shed some light on why the drastic change in coaching style?
I can only offer a guess which makes sense to me. I think CJP looked at 2020 as a year which didn't really matter (at best) or would be more of an exhibition year (at worst). And as Covid restrictions on the team piled up as well as games postponed, he resigned himself to the notion this year was about practice than performance. I think he wanted to "reward" his older guys with playing time rather than invest in the new ones for the future.

Good coaches are able to take what they've got and improve it though, even if they didn't recruit the player in question. Jimbo Fisher didn't recruit Kellen Mond but he's gotten better. Urban Meyer didn't recruit Chris Leak but won a national title with him.

I'm not saying that Pruitt and staff has failed because they didn't turn JG, Shrout, or Maurer into a superstar. I'm just saying that there are a ton of players (talking about just the QBs stratches the surface) that aren't measurably better than the first day they came on to campus. The good players he does have, like Henry T or Gray, have been productive, good players right out of the box. That's an indication that the staff did a good job on the eval, but an indication they aren't great at development and making players better.

I think Pruitt should be fired ASAP. With that being said, I agree 100% with your statement. We can't afford another debacle like our last search.
I'm hoping UT learned from the last 13 seasons on what not to do, it seems like every wrong move that we could have made, got made. There's been so much money and time wasted by the University on bad football coaches. The fans deserve better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back