Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope so.

I agree that those 3 are a great trio to headline their big board. If Miami got Cristobal this year, that would signal a complete 180 from the direction that the program has been going. Kiffin or Clawson would be great there as well, if football was all that mattered.

Miami cannot do what they did in the 80's-00's that made them elite. They have a lot of academics and pointexters at the top running the university now that are ashamed of their former image as The U. They were embarrassed by the Yahoo Sports story on Shapiro that turned the program inside out. They want to go to academic conferences and events and get the same oohs and ahs that their colleagues from Duke get. Football has not been the focus there.

Maybe that will change? I don't know.

They have a hard enough time getting fans and the community to commit fully. They are competing with other professional sports, the climate, the fact that there is so much more to do in the city. Not to mention the campus is in Coral Gables, which is 35 minutes west of South Beach, and 35 minutes south of Hard Rock Stadium where they play. Even when the fans and community buy in, the big money donors that want the school to spend money on academics are not cutting the checks that a program like Miami needs. Going to Miami isn't really the "college experience" that you get at most other major universities, especially ones where football is a priority.

Look at their last couple of hires - Richt, who they were happy to luck into, but was obviously not an elite coach, and Diaz, who is basically their Dooley, and they considered themselves lucky to have those stars align. Even now they're waiting to fire Diaz until the end of the year so his buyout is cheaper, when this era pretty much dictates that you pony up to make a great hire or you depend on dumb luck or settle for mediocrity.

This week, a bunch of former players are hosting a roundtable to talk about the state of the program. The roundtable is closed-door but they are releasing some/all of the footage from the roundtable in the next couple of weeks. Former players have been TRYING desperately to find support from the powers that be there for years, but that momentum just does not exist anymore. The former players are probably going to say the same thing that they've been saying for 15 years - we built something special that you (AD) completely dismantled. You abandoned football and kicked out donors years ago, and you can't just turn back to 2006 and decide to take football seriously again.

I don't think they'll ever go back to pre-Schnellenberger lows that they had in the 70's and prior. I also think that the special circumstances that aligned to allow for their rise in the 80's and maintained success/dominance through the early 00's, do not exist anymore. You can't recreate the "State of Miami" in South Florida. You can't get away with whatever they had to do to get and keep elite talent by any means necessary. You can't kick every other program out of S Fla now that the secret has been out for decades. Handlers, local coaches, players, agents all know their options and worth now. Miami has burned some bridges locally as well, to the benefit of Alabama, Ohio State, Florida, etc etc.

Miami has more in common with USC than a lot of other schools. If he didn't like the way that place was run he's probably not going to be into Miami.

Kiffin at Florida makes way more sense, or him just staying put to continue building OIe Miss and biding his time until Saban retires like everyone else. Kiffin will get way more support, resources, and backing at Ole Miss than he would at Miami.

Full context - aside from when we've played them, I've always enjoyed following Miami. I loved their attitude, I loved that they bullied Florida. They were renegades in every sense of the word. I must have read Cane Mutiny by Bruce Feldman 10 times. The story about them going to LSU at night, coming out of the tunnel and LSU had put Mike The Tiger's cage right at the entrance to scare the city boys from Miami. The Miami players literally screamed/roared at the tiger and shook his cage, then beat the hell out of LSU in their own house. Then ESPN's The U came out and I thought Miami would come back. I would love nothing more than for Kiffin to go to Miami and revive a fledgling, directionless program that has a ton of potential. I just see so many challenges that did not exist the first time that Miami rose. For our sake, we need Miami to keep players away from Bama and Florida.

Tennessee is in a better better when FSU and Miami are good. Weakens Florida and Clemson.

I imagine just gang related?

Basically. He was rivals with, and taunting, someone you shouldn't taunt.

On May 16, 2017, Blac Youngsta (an artist under Yo Gotti's label) surrendered himself to police on charges related to a shooting involving fellow Memphis rapper Young Dolph, in which Youngsta and his associates are alleged to have fired over 100 rounds into Young Dolph's SUV.[29] Blac Youngsta had maintained that he was innocent before turning himself in. He was released on bond the same day, charged with six counts of discharging a weapon into an occupied dwelling or moving vehicle and felony conspiracy.[30] In May 2019, the charges were dropped.[31]

after he escaped the 100 shots incident unscathed, he released an album called Bulletproof (can't wait to see people quote this and get a laugh out of that one) with the song list calling out his rivals. A few months later he was shot again.

Young Dolph was shot outside of a retail store in Hollywood, Los Angeles on September 26, 2017.[14] He was listed in critical condition at the hospital, but within a few hours doctors said that he was expected to survive.[15] He spent two weeks in the hospital to recover from his three gunshot wounds.[16] Moments after the shooting, Yo Gotti was initially named as a person of interest in relation to the shooting.[17] Yo Gotti was later cleared; his friend, Corey McClendon, was arrested for attempted murder but was released with no charges the next day.[18]

From today:
Two cars full of shooters unloaded over 50 shots at someone in a cookie store/parking lot. Car parked outside is supposedly Dolph's. People on the scene saying it was him. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Yo Gotti or someone near him will probably be investigated again, but I don't think anyone will go to jail. Sad day in Memphis, might be a rough couple of weeks/months there too.

Last edited:
Here is some more words I would nominate..."Product"..."Brand" and last but not least.."Optics"

Those phrases used when talking about Tennessee sports are like fingernails on a chalkboard to me..😖
To say the least, the optics of our program whenever Heupel was hired were not good; bad optics all around. Now, as he continues to put a better product on the field, it will go a long way of reestablishing our brand on a national scale, improving the optics from the outside.

Optics, product, and brand will only get better and better as Heupel establishes himself as our coach.

Better product = better optics, which leads to a better brand.

Last edited:
But no surprise that during her last few years many fans were calling for even her to be fired because they didn’t think she’d won enough and that the game had passed her by.

That is because her illness had already started taking affect. If you watched the games, Holly and staff were doing a lot of the coaching from the bench while Pat remained seated. They were becoming more and more involved with game plan and overall strategy.

Was he playing badly?
Yes and no…. We have an absolutely horrible team…. Didn’t win a game and lost by a combined 124-20 on the season….. really bad players with poor coach…. Coach never even worked with my son…. We watched YouTube videos and practiced like crazy…. Started out really bad and was average by the end of the season…. He would make really good plays and bonehead ones at times…The problem was the other team would have several breakaways with 2-3 players against my son. My son took a lot of heat from the coach…. other players…. other parents bc the goalkeeper typically gets the blame for goals scored and not the guys in the field…. It was fine bc it just makes him tougher…. His mother feels like the Florida’s QB mom although instead of not going to the game…. She was ready to throw a couple moms off the stadium.

Yes and no…. We have an absolutely horrible team…. Didn’t win a game and lost by a combined 124-20 on the season….. really bad players with poor coach…. Coach never even worked with my son…. We watched YouTube videos and practiced like crazy…. Started out really bad and was average by the end of the season…. He would make really good plays and bonehead ones at times…The problem was the other team would have several breakaways with 2-3 players against my son. My son took a lot of heat from the coach…. other players…. other parents bc the goalkeeper typically gets the blame for goals scored and not the guys in the field…. It was fine bc it just makes him tougher…. His mother feels like the Florida’s QB mom although instead of not going to the game…. She was ready to throw a couple moms off the stadium.
Keeper is the last of the 11 guys that failed on the field. As someone who played in college, I rarely blame the keeper for a goal. The only time, and @Smyrna ATL Vol can probably endorse this, that I will blame a keeper is when zero effort is put in to make the save. Otherwise 10 other guys failed to lead to that moment. Remind him of that.

My other piece of advice is for your son to take control of the defensive positions. Manage them. Be the voice and leader and move them like his own pieces. Talk to them about what he sees because he has the best seat in the house. 2-3 guy break is unacceptable and the defense is moving too high and probably flat footed.

New info to add to Payton: all of his tests came back negative so it is just a banged up type issue…. I would expect him to probably play this week but will know more toward the end of the week.
Dang. I wish he would have been able to finish Saturday. Not saying we would have one but there's some plays I think he would have made. That pass Hooker rainbowed to Keyton and he couldn't get under it to catch would have been for sure caught for a huge gain I believe if Payton had been playing. It hung in the air for so long.

Got a Georgia fan parent giving me crap this week. I need Tennessee to be back and start shutting up some of these fan bases who've been beating our tails these last few miserable years. I told him Kirby is due to screw up a game soon. I hope it turns out I'm right!

Keeper is the last of the 11 guys that failed on the field. As someone who played in college, I rarely blame the keeper for a goal. The only time, and @Smyrna ATL Vol can probably endorse this, that I will blame a keeper is when zero effort is put in to make the save. Otherwise 10 other guys failed to lead to that moment. Remind him of that.

My other piece of advice is for your son to take control of the defensive positions. Manage them. Be the voice and leader and move them like his own pieces. Talk to them about what he sees because he has the best seat in the house. 2-3 guy break is unacceptable and the defense is moving too high and probably flat footed.
Absolutely. Goalie is never blamed. Goals almost always come as a result of a someone not doing their job. If any blame comes, the defense usually yells at the midfield and the midfield yells at the forwards and defenders lol. If Beasts son ever has more than one person on a breakaway, that is a defensive alignment issue. My guess is his fullbacks are being sucked too far forward and the sweeper is over correcting to those sides to help cover. Good advice on him keeping the players in line. He has to tell them where players are and who to take and who to pressure. I would lose my mind if someone blamed my kid on a 2 v 1. Basically impossible to stop unless they just mess up real bad.

jTbb7.gif

He’s had a long standing beef with Yo Gatti. Not to suggest that it was related, but he’s has disagreements with a couple of local rappers.
Also Soulja Boy was on Breakfast Club a few days ago saying they had beef and had very threatening messages with one another as well as Dolph’s buddy Key Glock

Basically. He was rivals with, and taunting, someone you shouldn't taunt.

after he escaped the 100 shots incident unscathed, he released an album called Bulletproof (can't wait to see people quote this and get a laugh out of that one) with the song list calling out his rivals. A few months later he was shot again.

From today:

Yo Gotti or someone near him will probably be investigated again, but I don't think anyone will go to jail. Sad day in Memphis, might be a rough couple of weeks/months there too.
Blac Youngsta’s grandma house has now been shot up in a drive by since Dolph’s death. Gonna be wild in the 901 next few weeks

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back