Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was the Santa Maria. :rolleyes:
All of the above…
8FzO.gif

Okay, getting tired of seeing all these kids jumping into the portal and already going with other teams... Come on Heup, start getting these guys to UT... the bowls are over, so it's time to fill out the roster with immediate needs, which at this point, could be just about every position, but especially on defense. Our NIL situation needs to pick up major steam if we are going to continue to rise and build depth.

Not BVS'ing yet, but also not getting a warm and fuzzy about this staff's seemingly inability to grab talent in the portal. We are a team that is trending up, with plenty of spots where kids can come in and start day one, in the best conference, yet I haven't seen anyone worth noting really that has come aboard...

I know we are in on Verse and the WR from Wyoming, but we need players on defense and there seems to be about 15 kids at LB and DB/CB/S out there in the portal.

You got KY, SC, Mizz, and other schools picking up players left and right, yet we are just treading water... Love the coach and staff, but not liking where this is trending right now at all.
Patience Grasshopper :):)

For competitors, no game is meaningless. I played my a** off in an intramural game!

Sure, but that is my point. Just because guys transfer and get NIL deals, or look for better options, it doesn't mean they will not be committed and play hard wherever they go. There is no evidence that Hooker came to TN because he didn't want to work hard and earn a spot at VT, or he wasn't committed. Same with Joe Burrow. He didn't leave OSU and go lounge around LSU and have the job handed to him. By all accounts, he had a "Manning"-level of study and practice (as far as putting in the hours in the film room, etc).

I guess my point is that you or I may leave a job we love that treats us well for a better job. But likely we will be just as committed to that job as we were the previous one.

Sure, but that is my point. Just because guys transfer and get NIL deals, or look for better options, it doesn't mean they will not be committed and play hard wherever they go. There is no evidence that Hooker came to TN because he didn't want to work hard and earn a spot at VT, or he wasn't committed. Same with Joe Burrow. He didn't leave OSU and go lounge around LSU and have the job handed to him. By all accounts, he had a "Manning"-level of study and practice (as far as putting in the hours in the film room, etc).

I guess my point is that you or I may leave a job we love that treats us well for a better job. But likely we will be just as committed to that job as we were the previous one.

Transferring to chase money in the form of NIL deals is different than what Hooker and Burrow did. Both were motivated to transfer by their competitive nature. Both thought they had more to give but were buried on the depth chart by coaches that didn't value them. So they both went somewhere new to have a shot, and both made the most of it.

My only question, and I don’t know the answer. Would Burrell had played had Taylor, George, and Turnage not been out?

He did most of the season. On the UT site they list him at 12 games played with 41 total tackles. George played in 8 games with 5 total tackles, Turnage was 9 games with 22 total tackles. Don't know how many were starts for Burrell, but most of them as I recall.

He did most of the season. On the UT site they list him at 12 games played with 41 total tackles. George played in 8 games with 5 total tackles, Turnage was 9 games with 22 total tackles. Don't know how many were starts for Burrell, but most of them as I recall.
Wish they would show number of snaps played rather than starts to get a better picture.

Maybe Burrell is our new Moseley? Struggle at UT, then go ball out in the NFL.

A lot of truth to this

271283862_10226874939210218_307854969480224653_n.jpg
This is pretty cool and I bet it happens a lot. My son called me in his fourth year of college and told me he didn't think he was college material and he wanted to drop out. I told him he wasn't wasting my money by dropping out after four years and he wasn't coming home without a degree. I told him to suck it up and buckle down and get it done. He has 3 degrees today. Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, and a Law degree-----he found out he was college material after all :):)

This is pretty cool and I bet it happens a lot. My son called me in his fourth year of college and told me he didn't think he was college material and he wanted to drop out. I told him he wasn't wasting my money by dropping out after four years and he wasn't coming home without a degree. I told him to suck it up and buckle down and get it done. He has 3 degrees today. Bachelor's degree, Master's degree, and a Law degree-----he found out he was college material after all :):)
Or he could've dropped out and became the next Jeff Bezos 🙃

Maybe Burrell is our new Moseley? Struggle at UT, then go ball out in the NFL.

Hope he does, but also hope they have his replacement as starter for next season ready to go.

Moseley was much better. He was a natural safety coming out of HS, but way too skinny to play it here. It took him awhile to get the hang of CB, but at least he knew to look for the ball. Burrell still looks in the stands for the ball.

I love the message and the idea behind this.

Me personally, I would have a hard time telling my kid he can’t come home.

I want home to always be their safe place.

But I get it. I don’t want a quitter either.

For better and worse, fathers were different in that era. The role of men in the home and society was different. My guess is, his father was communicating a common fatherly message in that day.

I ended up on the other end of that. After dropping out of college (and a couple years of poor decisions), my dad told me I was no longer welcome as of my 21st birthday, which was 6 months away at that point. I ended up enlisting in the Army, and by great irony ended up cleaning garbage cans on KP on my 21st birthday. While gagging at the smell of painfully hot water steaming off of rotten garbage cans, I had a "come to Jesus" moment where I finally accepted the the role I had in getting where I was. Upon owning my situation, I became the best soldier I could be, and ended up being granted an early discharge to go back to college and enter ROTC, where I earned my commission and finished an engineering degree. We honestly need more men who will draw the line like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back