Recruiting Forum Football Talk IV

Status
Not open for further replies.
It was easy for some to ignore Prince's talent as it happened because of his sideshow and theatrics. Time has improved everyone's perspective and his legacy has aged like fine wine. The guy was a MONSTER songwriter, producer, guitarist, and all-around musician. He played every instrument on his first three records. He wrote "Manic Monday" and "Nothing Compares 2 U" under pseudonyms.

I find myself going back to watch old videos of him all the time. Check out his guitar solo on the George Harrison tribute or that Super Bowl halftime performance. Ridiculous talent.
That solo he did on "As my guitar gently weeps" from that Harrison tribute show is awesome. I saw that a while back when YT searching live Prince performances.

First off, I preface this by saying, InVOL, I like you, I truly do, man...and, because of this, I have also "kept my mouth shut", for the most part. The only time I've really spoken up against you about the Lady Vols is when you compared them to the football program, "a dumpster fire", which is completely laughable. I don't mean to insult; but, I'm sorry, at NO TIME have the Lady Vols been a dumpster fire...and, at no time should they ever be compared to what the football program has been...in ANY reality.

However, I have seen you make these same comments over and over again...over and over again...over and over again. "Incapable of offense"; "she doesn't care"; "street ball"; "never get it done"; "Holly Holly Holly"; and, my personal favorite, if anyone defends Kellie in ANY way, we are "happy just making the tournament"..."she's your coach". Here I was, thinking she is OUR COACH?!?!

Also, "when they won a few games"???...they're 19-3!

Though, you may be right about it all...the Lady Vols may very well be heading off the cliff..."many more losses headed their way". I don't know...however, I hope not; but, I DO KNOW, I would NEVER trip over myself to say it over and over again. Then again, I'm happy just making the tourney, even though I experienced all the glory and success of Pat, right along with you.

But, for the HERE and NOW...
If the internet is good for nothing except VolNation, and digging and researching...I went and done something I absolutely love to do, digging and researching...and, now I bring my dig and research to VN. This will be all I post about this; im not going to argue back and forth all day...anyone can look at the numbers and decide for themselves...they can decide if you may be just a tad off in your REPEATED assessments; or, if the numbers tell a different story. This is truly, inside the numbers...most ALL of them.

The numbers I found are in comparison with where we all wish to be, I assume: South Carolina and Dawn Staley. That's/she's the mountain top, I think we all would agree. Staley is in her 14th year at SC (more than enough time to establish ALLLLL she wishes to establish: offensively, defensively, to how she wants the Gatorade made); Kellie is in her 3rd year here at UT. Now, Kellie may not be the answer, idk...you could absolutely be right; but, dang, man!

Anyway, found in the dig:
First, let's look at schedules this year. Both have comparable schedules (however, i will say SC has probably played a tougher schedule). While, yes, SC has played more Top 25 teams, it could be argued that some of those opponents (Oregon, Kansas St, Maryland) could be swapped in the Top 25 by some of UT's opponents (UCF, S. Florida, Kansas, VaTech, Florida (a common opponent), Ole Miss (a common opponent)).
Lady Vols Top games on the season...
UCF is 15-3
S. Florida is 16-5
Texas is 15-6, ranked #13
Kansas is 15-5
VaTech is 15-6 (with their losses coming against #7 Lady Vols; #20 Notre Dame; #3 NC State; #24 North Carolina; Liberty, who is 21-2; and, a very bad loss to Missouri State)
Ole Miss is 19-4
UGA is 18-4, ranked #14
A loss to Stanford (a common opponent), who is 18-3, ranked #2
A bad loss to Florida, who is 17-6
And, an absolutely terrible loss (no excuse) to Auburn, who is 9-13
UConn is next.

SC Top games..
NC State is 21-3, ranked #3
S. Dakota is 18-4
Oregon is 14-7
UConn is 14-4, ranked #10
Kansas St is 16-7, ranked #25
Maryland is 17-6, ranked #17
Duke is 15-7 (with their losses coming against #1 SC; #12 Georgia Tech; #4 Louisville; #24 UNC; #3 NC State; and twice to VaTech)
Stanford is 18-3, ranked #2
LSU is 18-4, ranked #15
Ole Miss is 19-4
And, a bad loss to Missouri, who is 16-8

Again, SC has had the tougher schedule; but, I'm assuming we'll all agree, both have played a damn tough schedule, so far. So, with that being said, the numbers...

First, defense...
Lady Vols: total pts against, 1273, for an avg of 57.9 per game
SC: total pts against, 1133, for an avg of 51.5 per game.
Have to get better here; but, we're not TOO FAR behind the best of the best on average.

Lady Vols: opponents FG%, 32.5 (2nd in nation)
SC: opponents FG%, 32.4 (best in the nation)

Lady Vols: total defensive rebounds, 725 (leads nation), for an avg of 33 per game (leads nation)
SC: total defensive rebounds, 693 (3rd in nation), for an avg of 31.5 (3rd in nation)

Lady Vols: total rebounds, 1098 (2nd in nation), for an avg of 49.9 per game (leads nation)
SC: total rebounds, 1042 (3rd in nation), for an avg of 47.3 per game (3rd in nation)

Lady Vols: total blocked shots, 135 (2nd in nation), for an avg of 6.1 per game (7th in the nation)
SC: total blocked shots, 188 (leads nation), for an avg of 8.5 per game (leads nation)

Lady Vols: 149 Steals...SC: 140 steals

Now, I know your criticism is the offense, so...
Unless I'm missing something...

We'll start with...
Lady Vols: total offensive rebounds, 373 (4th in the nation), for an avg of 17 per game (4th in the nation)
SC: total offensive rebounds, 349 (14th in the nation), for an avg of 15.9 per game (14th in the nation)

Now the nitty gritty...
Lady Vols: total 3 pointers taken, 319...total 3 pointers made, 97...for an avg of 30.4% (185th in the nation)...bad, huh?
SC: total 3 pointers taken, 351...total 3 pointers made, 113...for an avg of 32.2% (118th in the nation)
Stanford shoots 35.2% from 3 point land (30th in the nation)
By comparison...the sky is far from falling, while keeping in mind, VanDerveer is in her 36th season at Stanford; Staley, 14th at SC; Kellie, her 3rd. Cultures, long been established...versus...culture, still being established.

Lady Vols: total assists, 321, for an avg of 14.6 per game
SC: total assists, 297, for an avg of 13.5 per game

Lady Vols: total turnovers, 388, for an avg of 17.6 per game...THIS is definitely an area we HAVE TO improve; but...
SC: total turnovers per game, 333, for an avg of 15.1
In comparison...

Lady Vols: total shots taken, 1415...total shots made, 594...for an avg of 42% from the floor (94th in the nation)
SC: total shots taken, 1321...total shots made, 588...for an avg of 44.5% (40th in the nation)
Stanford shoots 45.4% (24th in the nation)
By comparison...the sky is far from falling, while keeping in mind, VanDerveer is in her 36th season at Stanford; Staley, her 14th at SC; and Kellie, her 3rd. Cultures, long been established...versus...culture, still being established.

Lady Vols: total shots taken per game on avg, 64.3...total shots made per game on avg, 27...for an avg of 42% shooting per game (94th in the nation)
SC: total shots taken per game on avg, 60...total shots made per game on avg, 26.7...for an avg of 44.5% shooting per game (40th in the nation)
Stanford: total shots taken per game on avg, 60.7...total shots made per game on avg, 27.6...for an avg of 45.4% shooting per game (24th in the nation)
By comparison...again, the sky is not falling.

Lastly, what truly matters the most as it pertains to offense...points on the board!
Lady Vols: total points on the season, 1565...for an avg of 71.1 points per game, through 22 games (67th in the nation)
SC: total points on the season, 1578, just 13 more than the Lady Vols...for an avg of 71.7 points per game, through 22 games (58th in the nation)
Stanford: total points on the season, 1490...for an avg of 74.5 points per game, through 20 games (30th in the nation)

Does the Lady Vols offense have to improve, YES! However, again...by comparison, the sky is not falling, ESPECIALLY whenever within context: 36 years, 14 years...versus 3 years. Cultures, LOOOOONG been established...versus...culture, STILL BEING established. Not to mention, Staley and VanDerveer have, and have had, the "studs"...while Kellie is grinding to catch up in a race that she's already, at least, 11 planets behind. THIS is what these numbers shout at me. While the Lady Vols do HAVE TO improve on offense, SC and Stanford aren't world beaters whenever it comes to O, themselves...they just have the horses, the long established culture of winning, and the know how to overcome and rise above, to win big time games; and, we don't, not yet.

Again, InVOL, you may end up being right, Kellie's offenses may never take us anywhere...again, idk. I just know, im all for absolute support for her (while, yes, being critical when need be; however, not every single word, not every single post, without a shred of cheer for what she's already accomplished in just a short time). Yes, the ladies may continue falling; but, they've been where they haven't been in a very long time, the Top 5. Also, numbers and averages very rarely lie in the sport of basketball, just like baseball. The numbers say that, at least, we can see the big dogs ahead...we just need more big dogs to catch up and keep pace.

I know, super long; most won't read, if any. I have nothing but time on my hands; and, I've kind of enjoyed digging into the numbers.

Mic drop!

Reactions: SugarCC

The part of the story that bothered me was that Russia was caught doping in the paralympics.

The Olympics are a joke anyway. There are so many yearly tournaments and events for each sport that have come to mean as much, if not more, than the Olympics. Some sports don't even have their best competing. Or the best just withdraw. Or the best get caught doping.

The Olympics could and should be the apex of competition. Unfortunately it has become performance art.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back