Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh don’t lump me in with the negative Nancy club just an observation.

I know, your observation was dead on. Those guys weren’t an option for Tennessee until Pruitt arrived and we’re going to sign at least half.

Last edited:
All good players for sure and I welcome them on our roster. I would say none of those guys are "elite" prospects.

giphy.gif

Reactions: 9 people
Pruitt and some of the staff have recruited players like Copeland for a while, but they were with different teams and the circumstances are different. Let's face it folks, it is not so much that Pruitt and Co may strike out, as much as it is they are now at a school that is coming off a 4-8 year and trending in a downward spiral... kids may like the coach, but the team/program is in a bad place, while other programs we are competing with are trending up...
It is a big chance to take on a new staff at a sub-par program when you could go somewhere more safe and proven.
If Pruitt and Co pull some of these high tier kids by selling them on "what TN is going to be", then they've done a great job in a small amount of time.
If they put a disciplined, hard working, play with your hair on fire for 4 quarters team out on the field this fall, recruits will see this and '19's class is going to look top 5 or better.

Reactions: 3 people
Yeah, I'm just not really interested in these excuses. Top 20 classes aren't good enough and Jeremy Pruitt would tell you as much if you asked him. They didnt sign the guys they thought the would/could.

Like I said, I'm not "out" on Pruitt or anything. That would be ridiculous. But this finish - if it stays the way it looks on Monday at 4:30 PM - is not good enough. It's an improvement on where we were - sure! But my bar isn't Butch Jones in the midst of an 8 loss season.

In this situation, I see them as reasons more than excuses, but I get your drift. If you were expecting a top 5 or top 10 class after ESD, you're likely going to be disappointed. UT kept CBJ too long, he took the program down too far and we're paying for it.

I expect us to sign Peterson, Walker and ITS. Add Gooden and Grant, if we take them. If we do, it means we missed on some of the others-- not ideal, but reality. We could have a few nice surprises-- like keeping Young or getting Beal if LSU doesn't have a spot-- so we'll see.

KV, Gucci, Chief: Here's an analogy since you all don't seem to get it....

I've got wonderful news for you. You all are being offered a free car, and you have dozens of choices. We've got some really nice cars over here for your consideration. They were designed and constructed by the best in the world, look "badass" (as the kids these days like to say!), and have years of verified top level performance.

You'll notice one in this group. It does look a little beat up, and we're not quite sure yet about the folks who will be designing and building future models. It has had periods in the past where it performed at a high level, but the information from the past 10 years or so isn't very impressive.

So, which car do you choose?

Pruitt and his staff, at this point, are trying to convince you to choose the car described last, and y'all want to b!tch that he's not convincing every blue chip athlete to make that choice?!?! If he gets one person to make that choice it's amazing. If/when he has a proven track record, it's not going to be so hard for him to close the deal. The fact that he has so many blue chip athletes even considering us is phenomenal.

In this situation, I see them as reasons more than excuses, but I get your drift. If you were expecting a top 5 or top 10 class after ESD, you're likely going to be disappointed. UT kept CBJ too long, he took the program down too far and we're paying for it.

I expect us to sign Peterson, Walker and ITS. Add Gooden and Grant, if we take them. If we do, it means we missed on some of the others-- not ideal, but reality. We could have a few nice surprises-- like keeping Young or getting Beal if LSU doesn't have a spot-- so we'll see.

If we get Peterson, Walker and ITS on signing day that would be a good day. I guess the crux of this whole discussion is I've yet to be convinced we get any of those guys. But I admit I haven't followed very closely the last week and have been trying to catch up. So we'll see how it goes.

All good players for sure and I welcome them on our roster. I would say none of those guys are "elite" prospects.

Hey where is the 3* police that used to be on here with Butch, pointing out guys like Sutton became big play makers and don't look at ratings?

I think the upgrade in coaching alone will get the most out of existing talent and talent coming in and that will equal at least two more wins a season compared to Butch's dumb arse.

Lol. After Pruitt was hired, I vowed to myself that I wouldn't make excuses for him or his staff. But this heat he is taking for not having a stellar class 2 months into his tenure is manifestly unfair. And it's not even signing day yet.

Reactions: 14 people
WHy are posters forgetting about the December class?

If those doubt count Kirby sucks balls

How in the world do people have these outsized expectations for Tennessee? Last I checked, we have been one of three worst programs in the SEC for over a decade or more, and our coach has been on the job for about four weeks.

If our coach lands Walker and Peterson, it’s a home run. Add ITS and it’s a complete grand slam.

Get real! And if you can’t handle it, get out. The door is staring you in the face: take it.

Reactions: 8 people
How in the world do people have these outsized expectations for Tennessee? Last I checked, we have been one of three worst programs in the SEC for over a decade or more, and our coach has been on the job for about four weeks.

If our coach lands Walker and Peterson, it’s a home run. Add ITS and it’s a complete grand slam.

Get real! And if you can’t handle it, get out. The door is staring you in the face: take it.

Exactly.

Reactions: 1 person
Lol. After Pruitt was hired, I vowed to myself that I wouldn't make excuses for him or his staff. But this heat he is taking for not having a stellar class 2 months into his tenure is manifestly unfair. And it's not even signing day yet.

Our fans are idiots. I swear.

No other coach wanted the job. There almost literally is no one else besides Pruitt who will do this job. We should have learned that lesson in November. If he lands the two LBs that is a tremendous work.

That’s not lowering the bar. There is no bar. The last ten years took the bar and threw it out the window. We are a bottom feeder.

Our fans are idiots. I swear.

No other coach wanted the job. There almost literally is no one else besides Pruitt who will do this job. We should have learned that lesson in November. If he lands the two LBs that is a tremendous work.

That’s not lowering the bar. There is no bar. The last ten years took the bar and threw it out the window. We are a bottom feeder.

It's not even that. I expect Pruitt to get us a top level class next season, warts and all. That's his responsibility, and it's a big reason we hired the guy. But he'll have a year to recruit at that point, which I think is the minimum to even think about being critical as far as recruiting goes.

It's not even that. I expect Pruitt to get us a top level class next season, warts and all. That's his responsibility, and it's a big reason we hired the guy. But he'll have a year to recruit at that point, which I think is the minimum to even think about being critical

Yep. Concur. Sorry - that was my mid-day open VN on my phone to check recruiting rant. I am done.

I think this is a great class and I’m 100% behind Pruitt.

No guarantees, but Peterson seems solid and by most accounts, Walker is a strong lean because of his ties with Pruitt. It seems likely that SC will take Griffin, which will hopefully domino ITS to UT. So those three are reasonable expectations right now. It'll be tough to keep Young, but if we can, hat's off to the staff.

Like they say winning cures everything.

Make a bowl next year + Full year to recruit = top 5 class = no more whiners

..well gucci sosa and a handful of others will probably still find something to cry about

Reactions: 2 people
No guarantees, but Peterson seems solid and by most accounts, Walker is a strong lean because of his ties with Pruitt. It seems likely that SC will take Griffin, which will hopefully domino ITS to UT. So those three are reasonable expectations right now. It'll be tough to keep Young, but if we can, hat's off to the staff.

Plus...Flowers who is leaning UT and wanted badly by Clemson, Ogbonnia who is wanted badly by Nebraska, Beal who has a commitable offer to Bama and A&M is fighting hard for his signature, Mincey who was thought to be leaning to Muschamp but Callahan says Vols lead....these guys might not make the star gazers happy but they aren’t last minute scrubs. We should feel be happy to add anyone of them this late.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back