Recruiting Forum Football Talk LVI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets just say we get Walker, JJ, and ITS on Wednesday which there is a great chance of that. Name another head coach and staff that could’ve pulled that off.

Reactions: 2 people
It's the last week and we have a shot at a decent amount of elite prospects and appear likely to sign at least 2 or 3 of them. Obviously we should go ahead and start burning our mattresses before we find out for sure that we failed. For efficiency ya know. That way we're not trying to light them on fire last minute and can't because it will certainly be raining on our gloom parade.

Reactions: 1 person
Plus...Flowers who is leaning UT and wanted badly by Clemson, Ogbonnia who is wanted badly by Nebraska, Beal who has a commitable offer to Bama and A&M is fighting hard for his signature, Mincey who was thought to be leaning to Muschamp but Callahan says Vols lead....these guys might not make the star gazers happy but they aren’t last minute scrubs. We should feel be happy to add anyone of them this late.

Yep, any of those would be solid. I think Ogbonnia could be a hard pull out of TX and seems likely to end up at Texas Tech, and Beal is really hoping for a spot at LSU. Geography may work against us there, but it sounds like we're not out of it for either one. Mincey's HS coach is pushing him toward SCAR. I heard that he has already made his decision and was going to call the coaches today, but decided to wait and announce on Wed. If Callahan says Vols, that could be why.

IDK much about Flowers. There are a few guys with late offers than no one's really talking about. The coaches want an offensive playmaker, so if we get a signing day surprise, it might be someone like that.

I am hoping for JJ Quay ITS Ogbonnia and maybe one more surprise.

I have to say I know what happens in recruiting and kids going back and forth, they are 18, blah blah blah.... But for some reason the whole Young thing has my jimmies rustled... I sure hope we can still get him, but if he goes to FLST, I am not going to think highly of him and won't make any apologies...
The kid would straight up be going to a lower tier school if Pruitt hadn't taken an interest in him and shined a light on him from what I've read...
He could turn into another Otha Peters for all I care if he walks away from us...

I think so too.

If any of those coaches/staffs took over the UT job I think they would do equal or better IMO

I get where you are coming from, but if any of those coaches/staffs took over UT and this was their first head coaching gig just like Pruitt, then no way would they come close. Yeah, where they are right now in their coaching careers they could replicate this and probably do better, but not just starting out like Pruitt....

We're about to sign 3 players of the caliber of Peterson, Walker, and ITS and people are still whining about this being a let down of a signing day. Lol...everything after them is just icing on the cake.

Reactions: 10 people
We're about to sign 3 players of the caliber of Peterson, Walker, and ITS and people are still whining about this being a let down of a signing day. Lol...everything after them is just icing on the cake.

THIS.... and maybe even a few more (hoping Ogbonnia)

giphy.gif

I’m saying that more for your sake then ours. You’re kind of backing yourself into a place where you will be forced to lurk around and wait for negative news so you can pop in here and tell us all “told ya so!” Doesn’t sound like much fun, and I thought hobbies were supposed to be fun. I watched guys do that all through the Butch and Dooley era and I don’t think they had much fun either.

For my part, I confess up front you may be right. Pruitt may not have much of a clue what he is doing as a first time coach. He might have blown some of these and he may not be the recruiter we thought he was. We might remain behind Bama and Georgia in his tenure, struggle to win as many as 9 or 10 in a season and he might be fired in three or four years. Odds are actually pretty good that will be the case. But frankly that’s the norm at Tennessee. And none of us on this board can do much about it.

For my part I plan to just enjoy the good parts of his tenure, whatever those may be. He’s competitive, a hard worker and wants to win. That’s all we can ask for. Let’s enjoy the players he develops and the fun wins he will inevitably have (after all, Butch and Dooley had some fun wins) and if it doesn’t work out, we will lobby for the best we can get next time around.

We can still win titles here. But it is a slog for us against the competition we face in this conference and there honestly is no guarantee we will ever see one again. So just enjoy the positive things. That’s my view.

Reactions: 7 people

:good!: That is going to be an awesome signing day!

Yeah, I'm just not really interested in these excuses. Top 20 classes aren't good enough and Jeremy Pruitt would tell you as much if you asked him. They didnt sign the guys they thought the would/could.

Like I said, I'm not "out" on Pruitt or anything. That would be ridiculous. But this finish - if it stays the way it looks on Monday at 4:30 PM - is not good enough. It's an improvement on where we were - sure! But my bar isn't Butch Jones in the midst of an 8 loss season.

We'll need to be in the top 5 year in and year out if we're going to win championships. I didn't expect that by any means with this class, but I was hopeful we'd be able to crack the top 15. I'll be a little disappointed if that doesn't happen. If people don't like that, they can bite my arse. Still really excited about Pruitt regardless of where we end up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back