Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the really cool thing: We control our own destiny now.

Obviously, if we win out, we're in the playoffs. But I also think we might be able to do it with 1 loss -- either in the SEC championship game or a Bama loss next weekend. If we lost to Bama, beat GA, and then win out, we'll go to the SEC championship game. Beat Bama there and we're still in the playoffs.

I'm having trouble wrapping my head around this. . . even when we were loaded with talent like Dobbs, Kamara, Hurd, Barnett, etc, we were never a legitimate top10 team.

If I'm being honest, I thought we were a little over-ranked going into LSU. I guess I wasn't fully sold that we've overcome our roster issues so soon. I thought some of those deficiencies would show their ugly mug against LSU. . . The way we slaughtered LSU @ Death Valley changed my opinion. I'm on the "Tennessee is really good" train now.

The coaches and team honestly believe they are gonna win each game and they're preparing to do it every week. I don't think the majority of fans had that mindset. I do think many fans were on the "believe it when I see it" train. They've made a believer out of me, the way the just continue to find a way to win or dominate teams.

I'm all-in. I don't think there is a team in America who can out-scheme, out-execute, or out play our coaches and players. The only thing anyone can do at this point is out-talent us and our guys are showing that doesn't mean much.

15-0!

Go Vols!!!
I always remember Major’s quote about you’re only as strong as your weakest link. We have a lot of weak links so I said anywhere from 6 to 10 wins. But these coaches really seem to be coaching up our weak links and scheming against the other team’s weaknesses.

Last edited:
PFF grades are trash

I've wondered the same thing. I'm curious how a player's overall grades correlate with their draft selection, whether they win major college awards, etc. I'm skeptical. I've begun thinking its a bunch of wanna-be NFL scouts sitting in front of their TVs giving tough grades to try and show their merit.

It's nothing like the 90's. We were good and everyone knew it. Fans would be excited for the season, but as soon as we lost a game, the season was over. Back then a SEC/National Title was the only goal. We were so spoiled that a 2 loss team was just OK. 3 losses was a bad year. 4+ losses, start firing coaches.
I had to screenshot this and send it to my dad because you sound just like him reminiscing on the 90’s Vols right now lol

The sky is easily the best part of it out here. There are some stunning sunsets when the clouds are just right. I’ll still take the mountains any day though.
You know what you find at the end of the Great Plains? The awesome, majestic and epically beautiful Rocky Mountains....and then range after range after range all the way to the Pacific.

I love the Apps but...

I love looking at PPG margins. There are very reliable cutoff points for what sort of margins playoff teams tend to need to be "playoff worthy".

15 ppg+ margin is basically the floor. High teens, really. Mich St 2015 is the biggest outlier at only 8.1 ppg (~11 before playing Bama in the playoffs).

20+ and you're cooking. Mid-high 20s and you're really dominant.

Last year, 3 of the 4 teams were in the 18-20 ppg margin (granted, these are full season numbers, a bit of an adjustment would be needed to make these comparable to a 12-13 game season, but alas to keep things simple...)

UGA was far ahead of the rest at +28.

All this to say - our high mark season post-Fulmer was 2015 at 15 ppg. That team could literally play with anyone and proved it.

So far this year we are riding at a rate of +29 PPG. Granted, we have our toughest opponents ahead of us, so I project this will drop some. I plugged in my guesstimates for future spreads and came up with a final of a 21-22 PPG margin at the end of the regular season.

Not to say our odds of making the playoffs are quite that high because of the absurdity of playing both Bama and UGA and the unlikely event 3 SEC teams get in. But...this team is on the trajectory of being a playoff-worthy team in only Y2.

This is nuts.

I love the Great Plains..but yeah crossing Kansas gets monotonous. I would rather cross the Great Plains through Nebraska since you follow the Platte river on I-80 most of the way so the scenery gets broken up a little.

I was raised on the Plains, so it is hard to explain why, but I love the wide open sky after being in the east where you can't see very far unless you climb up a mountain...it makes me feel free, like unburdened or closed in.
Night sky's on the Plains are a thing of beauty.

I can’t wait to see what Heupel and company can do when we become truly feared on the recruiting trail again. Can you imagine this offense with a 90’s level defense? Geez.

Florida under Urban Meyer as much as I hate saying so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back