Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here’s what I liked most about beating LSU: we made the small, smart plays winning teams make, which we haven’t done in 15 years.

We downed it inside the 5 on a punt just a couple drives after LSU screwed up that very thing and let the ball get into the endzone.

Hooker took what the defense gave him, picked up a easy first at the sticks with his legs and got out of bounds without getting hit.

He picked up that 4th down with the shovel pass to Fant while announcers were questioning us going for it.

Pretty sure those were all just in the first half.
I'm still freaking impressed with our 8 minute drive to close the game.

I'm very impressed that in two straight games we've come out after the half and did exactly what we needed to.

I'm impressed we stopped all of their 4th down conversions.

I'm impressed.

There's a reason no one kicks onside kicks like that, and that's the reason.

Way harder to make the second hop bounce high in the air. The kickers aren't doing it that way to challenge themselves lol.
I don't think that was the correct call. The guy who called for fair catch then tried to block. That should have been a penalty on the guy calling for fair catch, you can't block after calling for fair catch and you only get protection from being hit if you're actually trying to catch the ball. He ran away from the ball to go block, so the kicking team should have been able to recover it.

In general though, you're right, teams should always signal fair catch on a one hopper onside kick.

Here’s what I liked most about beating LSU: we made the small, smart plays winning teams make, which we haven’t done in 15 years.

We downed it inside the 5 on a punt just a couple drives after LSU screwed up that very thing and let the ball get into the endzone.

Hooker took what the defense gave him, picked up a easy first at the sticks with his legs and got out of bounds without getting hit.

He picked up that 4th down with the shovel pass to Fant while announcers were questioning us going for it.

Pretty sure those were all just in the first half.

Hendon did a much better job avoiding hits/getting down when he scrambled or on design runs. Staff needs to continue to preach this to him for the rest of the year.

Edit: actually someone else compared him to Adoree Jackson which prompted Ms.Boo’s indignation and in between Little compared him to Bryce Thompson. All from someone thinking he was too short for corner at 5’10.
View attachment 498806
Ah, I see. But still, doesn't seem like enough to warrant a kitchen scramble @engineerVOL 's place.

Only works if the ball goes into the air immediately after being kicked into the ground. It wouldn't work for the onside kick in the FL game bc the ball bounced more than once. Smart play by the kid and/or staff that understood the rule but most onside kicks bounce multiple times.

Based on the first sentence of the rule, I would argue an onsides kick is not “caught,” it is recovered. However, the second sentence defines it further, and that’s just silly. Need to take the second part out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back