Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tru, small might not be Barry sanders but ya know what? He’s consistent, blocks decent, and most importantly holds on to the football! Not to mention as you stated, is a leader in the off-season and steadily improves his game and that kinda work ethic rubs off on other players!
He definitely doesn't get the level of respect he deserves from those outside of the program.

I don't think that's nearly a foregone conclusion. I like and appreciate him. But he's fairly close to his ceiling. He's not going to get considerably faster. He's done a very good job of developing his skill to the level of his talent. He's dependable and does all the right things.

That said, there are 3 guys with a higher ceiling than his on the roster now without regard to the portal. Wright is also getting better. He needs to hang onto the ball but very obviously has better speed than Small. Sampson is still a pup but has better quickness, speed, and innate vision than either of the other two. Williams needs development in part because he has that "big back" build.

If you have some personal connection or affinity for Small then I'm sorry for offending you. But objectively speaking... he will not be RB#1 next year if one or more of the others develop their skills to a level close to their talent. There are LOTS of RB's who would be #1 if they portaled in. Some play at small schools or lesser programs and are far too good for the teams they're on.

We have no way of knowing who might be in the portal but let's say someone like Sean Tucker from Syracuse sees UT and Spyre as a good move. There are two certainties. One is he would be #1. Two... barring injury he would flourish in Heupel's O even more than he is now.

I have to say I'm surprised youre this underwhelmed by Small.

Jabari :
- makes people miss in the open field
- catches the ball cleanly
- faster than people think. Had that LSU safety not been the last defender 10 yards ahead, he was going to out run their other defenders for an 83 yard TD.
- runs with great pad level and leg drive.
- takes care of the football

Small has played 4 whole games an has 300 yards rushing with about 50 receiving.
He's going to have probably over 1,200 total yards of offense and 10 TDs. by seasons end.

Wright doesn't run with good leg drive, he can't make people miss really.
He's like a smaller Darren McFadden

Also fyi, the equipment room had orange helmets in them today. Do with that information what you want
giphy-downsized-large.gif

I have to say I'm surprised youre this underwhelmed by Small.

Jabari :
- makes people miss in the open field
- catches the ball cleanly
- faster than people think. Had that LSU safety not been the last defender 10 yards ahead, he was going to out run their other defenders for an 83 yard TD.
- runs with great pad level and leg drive.
- takes care of the football

Small has played 4 whole games an has 300 yards rushing with about 50 receiving.
He's going to have probably over 1,200 total yards of offense and 10 TDs. by seasons end.

Wright doesn't run with good leg drive, he can't make people miss really.
He's like a smaller Darren McFadden
I'm not actually "underwhelmed". I'm appreciative. He's just limited. He does some things well. Maybe even a little above average. Not exactly sure what you mean by those stats. I'm fine with dropping Akron if that's your point but he's still averaging 4.64 ypc vs average competition. Without that game, he averages 74 ypg... pretty pedestrian for a #1 RB.

He had a great game vs LSU. My opinion will change if he keeps that up.

Disagree about Wright and he's really just learning the position. He wasn't well used or coached in HS. FTR, I don't think he's a true #1 SEC level RB either. Not sure if his talent can go to that level but believe he's further from his ceiling than Small.

I think the Fr have pretty high ceilings.

Reactions: LittleVol
So basically if he doesn’t play, there are still too many uncertainties with the case. If he does play, we can be fairly confident there is rather convincing evidence that the initial report was way off.
I like that the people making this decision at UT aren’t just bowing to the optics and national perception, but rather are thinking about what is best for JM. He’s earned that.
The report is simply the statement of a self proclaimed drunk guy!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back