Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember when a few on VN would hate on Larry/LWS for giving his opinions over the years leading up to seasons (which almost completely ended up being accurate)...

Even Larry is over the BVS and saying WGWTFA...

View attachment 500409
I never saw the benefit of being “completely done with this program” but keeping the rest of us hopelessly hopeful fools updated. 😴 I’m sure for Packer fans, Brett Favre’s annual retirements were equally tiresome but not sure of many close seconds.

Imagine if Tillman trots out on the field on the 2nd series and Neyland comes off its rocker and the crowd gets amped up even more.

Anybody want to try and guess what the TV viewership will be? Fla game was 5.57 mil. This game is bigger so I am going with 10.2 mil

As a Bears fan I just watched us with a second and goal against a 1-4 team from their 5. Justin Fields dropped back and threw a fast ball right off the helmet of a defensive lineman. The ball bounced 20-yards in the air and was intercepted by another 320 lb defensive lineman. Why bring this up? Because less than 24 months ago, the Tennessee offense looked just like this.

Bears fan here also. Have to upgrade the OL and WR or Fields has no chance to succeed

… and yet, very likely go 4-0 vs Tennessee.
hysterical-laughter.gif

Bama game plan should mirror Floridas. They had it right. Play keep away and possess the ball as long as you can.

I don’t think they will be as aggressive and we will get more opportunities.

There are so many scenarios where the Vols win. I’m years past we would have to play perfect and they would have to play sub par.

This time around we have so many outs. They have to play perfectly. We don’t.

We play a full 60 minutes and score 40+. Vols win.

Just really hope we don’t try to beat bama sideline to sideline because it won’t work.

Last edited:
Reactions: InVOLuntary
That cop who shot that kid in a McDonald's parking lot last week was fired. The kid was seriously wounded and was minding his own business eating with his friends. He had to be rushed to the hospital.

That cop was charged with aggravated assault. Not felony aggravated assault. Not attempted murder with a deadly weapon or whatever. Just aggravated assault... for shooting an innocent kid eating a burger and firing blindly into a vehicle with other passengers and across a crowded parking lot with no backstop where other innocent people could've been injured or killed. Aggravated assault.

And Jaylen got charged with FELONY aggravated assault for supposedly punching someone in the mouth once solely via the word of a drunk trespasser whose story didn't align with Jaylen's or two witnesses.

Not supposed to be a commentary on anything, it's just astonishing to me the juxtaposition of those two situations yet Jaylen got the book thrown at him. And it's going to cost him, at a minimum, the biggest game of his life. A chance to prove himself to the NFL and get drafted and make millions. If this gets dropped and its proven this kid made anything up, I hope Jaylen sues his socks off.

I fully expect Bama to constantly run the ball to run out as much clock as they can.
DL is gonna have to hold their rush lanes and be disruptive all game. We are gonna see just how much they have improved tomorrow.

By the way, boys and girls, game time in 33 hours!

GENERAL ROBERT R. NEYLAND’S GREATEST PLOY

In 1928 a then young Neyland challenged national powerhouse Alabama (winner of the 1925 and 1926 Rose Bowl) to meet his unheralded Vols in Tuscaloosa. In the greatest (and perhaps first) opponent psych –out move ever , Neyland went to the Tide locker room minutes before the game and in full earshot of the Alabama players told coach Wallace Wade that the game would be a rout .He suggested that in order to hold down the score, that the last two quarters be shortened. Wade replied that Alabama did not plan on running up a big score , but agreed to shorten the last half if Alabama’s lead justified it
( just imagine the instant loss of mental edge by the Alabama players) .
Minutes later, Volunteer halfback Gene McEver returned the opening kickoff 98 yards for a touchdown. The Tide trailed at halftime, Tennessee never lost the lead and won the game 15-13. [ adapted from THROUGH THE YEARS WITH THE VOLUNTEERS by Tom Siler ]

"And it was very obvious to me that the Tennessee game was always the biggest game. It was always the biggest game for us. That's no disrespect to Auburn or the great Iron Bowl rivalries. But to our players and a lot of our fans, the Tennessee game, because of the tradition of the game, [is important], so it didn't take long to figure that out." Nick Saban

My trouble coaching against Tennessee - specifically, against General Neyland - was that every time we played I went out there like a wild man and changed everything around. One year we painted all the dummies orange, then took the team out to a horse farm, and brought the clergy in, and had everybody so tight they could barely move. Next day we lost 6-0. We had a lot of gimmicks and I threw out all the things we could do, the good plays, and put in something new, For Neyland.

Robert Reese Neyland was his full name. He had been schooled at West Point, and had won the Distinguished Service Medal as an aid to General MacArthur. As a football coach he was a model of consistency. He always did the same thing, and he always won. He was more of Coach Thomas's era than mine, but he was a giant and the respect (or dread) Coach Thomas had for him carried over to me. Neyland stuck with the single wing all his football life. People called his offense "the covered wagon," but like Hank Crisp used to say, "Try and stop it."

They used to kid me around the office that anytime Tennessee was mentioned during a coffee break I had to excuse myself and be sick. They weren't far wrong. I lost my breakfast regularly before the Tennessee game. Everybody thought Neyland had a jinx on us. It was no jinx. He was a better coach, and he had better football players - and I couldn't stand it. We managed a couple of ties against him, but I never beat him. He retired after the 1952 season."

[BEAR,The Hard Life and Good Times of Alabama's Coach Bryant, page 105]

All of Coach Bryant's losses to General Neyland were while he was at Kentucky from 1946 - 1953. He went to Texas A&M in 1954. He arrived at the Capstone, his alma mater, in 1958.

Last edited:
O

I've heard such before, but why is that?

The weirdos can get your license # while parked in a parking lot, at a campground, driving down the road, parked at home (along with your address). And then realistically, what can they do with it? Don't understand the problem.
Internet weirdos are more numerous than local weirdos. Unless you are in Alabama, of course.

Your coach came from a mid major, you do know that right? "Sunbelt Billy" is one of the most retarded things I've ever seen tbh, especially when your came from a dinky, mid major conference with a worse resume lol.

Our guy can coach. Yours clearly can’t (he basically cost you guys a chance at being able to tie our game. )

Reactions: norrislakevol
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back