Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
NEXT: 2022 Heisman Candidates: Top 2
2. QB Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

Why Hendon Hooker Will Win the Heisman: I tried to tell everyone back in 2019 he had special upside when he was at Virginia Tech. 2020 was 2020 and he had a rough year, but he hooked up with Josh Heupel at Tennessee, and …
I tried to tell everyone the Vol coaching staff was nuts for starting Joe Milton. That lasted about 30 seconds, Hooker stepped in, and all he did was throw 31 touchdown passes and three picks in a breakthrough season for the program.
This year? In six games has hit 70% of his throws for 1,817 yards and 15 touchdowns and just the one interception last week against Alabama.
Oh yeah … the Alabama game, Did Tennessee beat Bama or something, because it seems like the world is talking about it.
21-of-30, 385 yards, close to 13 yards per pass, five touchdown passes, a wonderful final drive to set up the game-winning field goal, and about a gajillion babies named Hendon coming in nine months after what he and the Vols just did.
Why Hendon Hooker Won’t Win the Heisman: I know we’re not supposed to say this while everyone is still buzzing because he did throw more touchdown passes, got the win, and was absolutely brilliant, but …
(In a very, very quiet whisper … ) Bryce Young was better.
Okay, forget that. Did Young win? No.
Hooker created the magical moment that will live forever in Tennessee lore. Now he has to do it again with Kentucky up in a few weeks, and he’ll have to do it at South Carolina, and at Georgia, and …
Yeah, Georgia. If he lights up the Dawgs and Tennessee wins, this thing might be over unless something unbelievable comes from …

#1 is CJ Stroud on this list...
Takes a shot at the Vol coaching staff and moves the goal posts about Hendon winning the heisman. Why does a Tennessee player have to play perfect every game to win an award?

Don’t see them losing until maybe SEC champ game. Who you got them losing to? Miss St? Seemed more plausible before they got spanked by UK. Ole Miss? Ole Miss can’t throw it well enough so will depend if they stop the run. And Ole Miss will have to stop Bryce Young.
Miss State is a wildcard. They can win, but they can also get blown out. Totally unpredictable.

Ole Miss in Oxford is the best chance.

But I don't think anyone predicted Bama would lose to Southern Miss at home in 1982...

Takes a shot at the Vol coaching staff and moves the goal posts about Hendon winning the heisman. Why does a Tennessee player have to play perfect every game to win an award?
Also, Bama’s defense was ranked number 1 in the country. What was our defense ranked? So Bryce barely outperformed him in yardage but less TD’s, oh yeah and the loss, while playing against a far worse defense. So what

His bad decision still haunts him to this day. lol
At this point, I am glad he left. We might have still gotten Heupel but there is no way to know how it plays out. He was too immature and selfish at that time to be a good coach for us. I still can't stand him, but he does seem to have matured and he is pretty hilarious.

cartman.gif

NEXT: 2022 Heisman Candidates: Top 2
2. QB Hendon Hooker, Tennessee

Why Hendon Hooker Will Win the Heisman: I tried to tell everyone back in 2019 he had special upside when he was at Virginia Tech. 2020 was 2020 and he had a rough year, but he hooked up with Josh Heupel at Tennessee, and …
I tried to tell everyone the Vol coaching staff was nuts for starting Joe Milton. That lasted about 30 seconds, Hooker stepped in, and all he did was throw 31 touchdown passes and three picks in a breakthrough season for the program.
This year? In six games has hit 70% of his throws for 1,817 yards and 15 touchdowns and just the one interception last week against Alabama.
Oh yeah … the Alabama game, Did Tennessee beat Bama or something, because it seems like the world is talking about it.
21-of-30, 385 yards, close to 13 yards per pass, five touchdown passes, a wonderful final drive to set up the game-winning field goal, and about a gajillion babies named Hendon coming in nine months after what he and the Vols just did.
Why Hendon Hooker Won’t Win the Heisman: I know we’re not supposed to say this while everyone is still buzzing because he did throw more touchdown passes, got the win, and was absolutely brilliant, but …
(In a very, very quiet whisper … ) Bryce Young was better.
Okay, forget that. Did Young win? No.
Hooker created the magical moment that will live forever in Tennessee lore. Now he has to do it again with Kentucky up in a few weeks, and he’ll have to do it at South Carolina, and at Georgia, and …
Yeah, Georgia. If he lights up the Dawgs and Tennessee wins, this thing might be over unless something unbelievable comes from …

#1 is CJ Stroud on this list...

Not sure I agree with that...Young had more yards at 455 but it took him an additional 14 completions to get the extra 70 yards but he threw 3 less TDs added -4 rushing yards and Hooker had 56. Also Hendo's completion % was better 70 vs 67.3

Still enjoying this weekend's win. I am absolutely convinced now that Bryce likely could've played in the A&M game but at greater risk of re-injury. Saban was absolutely saving him for us and he looked healthy, especially after seeing some of the shots he took. I did notice our DLine did a nice job with playing contain on him too.

Yeah...I think Kentucky got a shot in the arm of confidence because Miss State played terrible. The thing is Miss State is a one dimensional team, and they rarely run the ball, in fact they average 23 carries a game for 93 yards a game, both are worst in the SEC. The only team with a lower yards per carry is Kentucky. I mean to their credit they did contain Miss State's passing attack, holding them to just 200 yards. But it's a different style of passing attack. We like to spread folks out and take shots down the field, allowing our WRs to pressure DBs all game and if a mistake is made we have the speed to make teams pay (like Hyatt did to Bama).

Again though UGA & UK haven't faced offenses anywhere near as good as we are.

2nd in PPG
5th in Passing Yards per Game
7th in Passing TDs per Game
27th in Rushing Yards per Game
10th in Rushing TDs per Game
1st in Total Yards per Game

Only 2 P5 schools averaging 300+ passing yards and 200+ rushing yards a game. Ohio State & TN and Ohio State did it against ND, Arkansas State, Toledo, Wisconsin, Rutgers, and Michigan State of those teams Toledo is the only team that's above 500 right now.

Bama's defensive ratings look worse now because we lit them up. But before our game here's how they ranked

6th in Points Allowed 12.5
10th in Passing Yards Allowed 166.3
6th in Rushing Yards Allowed 84.5
5th in Total Yards Allowed 250.8

Kentucky's Rankings in same categories
12th in Points Allowed 16.4
16th in Passing Yards Allowed 178.3
31st in Rushing Yards Allowed 117.1
14th in Total Yards Allowed 295.4

Georgia's Rankings in same categories
2nd in Points Allowed 9.1
8th in Passing Yards Allowed 163.7
5th in Rushing Yards Allowed 83.4
3rd in Total Yards Allowed 247.1

Bama & Georgia are closer in rankings than Kentucky is to Georgia. And if you remove our game from the mix Kentucky is closer to LSU than they are Bama/Georgia while playing the 39th rated SOS. Bama's is 14th, TN is 18th, LSU is 23rd, & Georgia is 65th.

So honestly I'd say at this point the better question is when is Kentucky/Georgia gonna face a stout team that's as good as we are, cause looking at their schedules right now we're the strongest team either have left to play.

Got a friend who is a MSST alum, he was pissed Saturday. He did say that their offense doesn't travel well on the road for some reason. Lights out at home but struggles on the road which is evident with the UK and LSU game. And for whatever reason Leach doesn't like to run the ball. Drives my friend crazy. Kentucky plays a really good tight zone defense that is perfect against MSST. MSST don't take many deep shots, they flourish in the short to intermediate throws which can be a challenge against a good zone defense.

We are going to throw the ball over their head and match up our WRs on their safeties in those deep zones.

So really ya gotta look at the QB comparison like this.

Young: 56 touches (52 passes & 4 credited carries) 67.3% 451 total yards and 2 total TDs 0 TOs
Hooker: 44 touches (30 passes & 14 credited carries) 70% 441 total yards and 5 total TDs 1 TO

No one in their right mind looks at that and says "Young played better"

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back