Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
If not the starter or alternator it could be a battery cable that is about to go out.

Yeah... I guess that'd be the cheapest/easiest place to start. Just replace the battery cables (especially the ground) and see how it goes from there.

I'm on the fence on if I should let a garage diagnose it and tell me what they think it is and overpay for that and then decide if I wanna tackle the fix or REALLY overpay for them to do it...or start throwing some parts/money at it myself and stop when it's fixed. I just hate dealing with electrical gremlins.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
Unrelated...any of you morans know much about mechanics?

My 2009 Ford Escape (the one I want to trade in...but also may just try to fix) has the weirdest issue going on. The battery which is less than 3 months old (could be a lemon, gonna have a few auto parts stores test it and see what they say) will just straight up not have enough juice to start the car. But when I put a volt meter on it reads at 12v and when the car is running reads at 14v (so I am assuming the alternator is working as expected).

But this morning I jumped off, let it warm up in the driveway for a good 10-15 minutes (long enough to heat the frost off windows). Then I drive it about half an hour on the way to work, stop at a gas station to grab a drink and fill up. Turn it off and go in, no lights left on or anything. Come back out and fill up, get in the car to crank it over, put the key in and prime the fuel pump everything working as expected (lights come on dash as normal, hear the fuel pump etc.) then I turn from "on" to "start" and everything goes off and it acts like it's dead. Cycled the key a few times and still nothing. Toss the jump box on and it fires right up, drive to work without issue.

I really don't think it's the battery but I also don't know what else I can check at this point. Could the ignition be going out or something?

I would really inspect your battery connections. Sounds to me like one could be lose. It may be making good enough contact to start then once it vibrates while you are driving the connection isn't strong enough the next time you go to start it.

My 2009 Ford Escape (the one I want to trade in...but also may just try to fix) has the weirdest issue going on. The battery which is less than 3 months old (could be a lemon, gonna have a few auto parts stores test it and see what they say) will just straight up not have enough juice to start the car. But when I put a volt meter on it reads at 12v and when the car is running reads at 14v (so I am assuming the alternator is working as expected).

But this morning I jumped off, let it warm up in the driveway for a good 10-15 minutes (long enough to heat the frost off windows). Then I drive it about half an hour on the way to work, stop at a gas station to grab a drink and fill up. Turn it off and go in, no lights left on or anything. Come back out and fill up, get in the car to crank it over, put the key in and prime the fuel pump everything working as expected (lights come on dash as normal, hear the fuel pump etc.) then I turn from "on" to "start" and everything goes off and it acts like it's dead. Cycled the key a few times and still nothing. Toss the jump box on and it fires right up, drive to work without issue.

I really don't think it's the battery but I also don't know what else I can check at this point. Could the ignition be going out or something?
The most glaring problem is that it's a Ford.

Disconnect and clean your battery posts. If that doesn't work check the electrical wires. Something might be loose so its not getting a full current to the starter/spark plugs? Sounds like you're getting enough from the additional current when jumped off.

I am not an automotic expert at all, just learning. But that's what makes sense to me. Interested to see what pthers say.

I would really inspect your battery connections. Sounds to me like one could be lose. It may be making good enough contact to start then once it vibrates while you are driving the connection isn't strong enough the next time you go to start it.

Yeah that's the plan when I get home. I'm going to disconnect and clean the terminals/connectors and then put them back on myself. I let the Advance guy install it last time and I've been thinking he might not have got it tight...

It’s so hard diagnose car problems through words. Some of those old backwoods genius mechanics, you could spend 20 minutes talking to them about what the problem was, and they would look at you like you were from a different planet.

“Well, why don’t we take a look a ‘er. Crank it fer me real quick.”

They listen, tap a couple of things, and voila! They know exactly what’s wrong, and tell you that a couple of other things are about to go bad, as well. Always astonished me.

Could need a new starter. I’d say that or alternator. But that’s just from my experience. Feel like I had a similar issue with my F150 years ago but can’t remember what it ended up being
A battery can read 12V, should be closer to 13V when fully charged. I would definitely have the battery checked. I don't think it's your alternator since you said the voltage is 14V when running. My guess would be a loose connection at the battery terminal or somewhere between the battery and where the cables hook up.

Yeah this is what I'm fearing/wondering...cause a short would explain why it's so hit or miss. Like before vacation I had the issue, died on me at work and I jumped it off to get home then parked it. Next morning wouldn't start so I drove my truck a couple days. Then I jumped off the Escape just to move it while we were gone. Left for a full week, came back and it fired right up after sitting for a week. o_O
You could try hitting random engine components with a hammer

A battery can read 12V, should be closer to 13V when fully charged. I would definitely have the battery checked. I don't think it's your alternator since you said the voltage is 14V when running. My guess would be a loose connection at the battery terminal or somewhere between the battery and where the cables hook up.
@MoCo_Vol see this is why someone better than me needed to jump in haha

Yeah that's the plan when I get home. I'm going to disconnect and clean the terminals/connectors and then put them back on myself. I let the Advance guy install it last time and I've been thinking he might not have got it tight...
Yep that was your mistake lol. If that doesn't work and you are still having problems message me. I've been a diesel mechanic for almost 10 years, but I work on gas engines all the time. I also have access to service info for all makes and models.

Man! we had a blast, 10 days in the mountains living like mountain men. It was the hardest hunting I’ve ever done but so much fun. That’s scouting and getting to spots. Thanks man.
???

R.b304b148a9406dc202de063600308876

🤣😂😁

So Saban makes some weak statement implying fans being allowed to rush the field contributed to the girl being hit by his turd WR. Reality is he is starting to lose control of things based on undisciplined play , these kind of incidents, and mistakes they never would of made a few years ago. not just in our game but also at other times this year. This was the beginning of the end for Bowdon and some others of that statue. Sooner or later it happens to everyone. I may be wrong, but I wouldn't be surprised if they lost one or two more this year and started a slow but gradual decline.
Once again...they have a stacked #1 class coming in...they are never going to really decline as long as the stupid lemmings keep following each other there and 2-3 other schools.

He will still win 11-12 games every year just because they vastly outtalent 95% of teams they play.

Saban is now barely winning games with that MASSIVE talent disparity. If the lemmings stop going there he will be a .500 coach.

It took a last second field goal for us to beat them...and Texas and TAMU couldn't pull it off.

Question for what is left of the Saban slurpers...take the rosters and flip them (and you don't get to have Heupels development of our roster, just the players he inherited and the ones that he has brought in since) and how bad do you think Heupel blows Saban out?

This says so many things in one moment-- BY been running for his life all game, bama always trying to catch up and tie, and they finally go UP for the first time in the game and he thinks "oh, whew, now we have it so I can relax and tell UT, man you almost had us" and Banks is like "F U punk, game ain't over and we still coming"....

Yep that was your mistake lol. If that doesn't work and you are still having problems message me. I've been a diesel mechanic for almost 10 years, but I work on gas engines all the time. I also have access to service info for all makes and models.

Will do...not sure how to message you on here though. Lol But I'll tag you in a post and we can figure out how to chat from there.

It doesn’t happen as often on newer starters but it was common before they moved to gear reduction starters for them to develop “dead spots” where areas of corrosion or debris caused the starter to draw more amperage than the battery could supply when it landed on those select spots of the armature.

Yeah... I guess that'd be the cheapest/easiest place to start. Just replace the battery cables (especially the ground) and see how it goes from there.

I'm on the fence on if I should let a garage diagnose it and tell me what they think it is and overpay for that and then decide if I wanna tackle the fix or REALLY overpay for them to do it...or start throwing some parts/money at it myself and stop when it's fixed. I just hate dealing with electrical gremlins.
An auto parts store will probably be able to test the battery and alternator for free. I'd start there. Then, if they both check good, clean and maybe replace the battery cables.

All these homer idiots out there have no idea what to do with Tennessee. There's a real struggle to separate what everyone knows Tennessee has been the past ten years, from what Tennessee is doing right now. And it doesn't reconcile.

I get it. They're all waiting for the other shoe to drop. That's why UK will get talked up. And USCe.. And UGA.

It'll be that way until we beat team 'x'... And then the goal posts will move again. Been that way all season.

Cool. I think that's good for this team really. Everybody can doubt till they look at the scoreboard.😎🍊
I don't know if it is that so much as everybody knows our defense is an Achilles heel. We have a very obvious weakness and it is hard for them to overlook it when talking about ranking us.

I should have have bought Bitcoin and distressed real estate in 2009 when I was 13 SMH

Bitcoin in early 2010 was 9 cents. Take $200 and buy ~2.2K coins and right now you’d have ~ $42M. If sold at the height of Bitcoin prices, you’d have ~ $132M.

Insane.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back