Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
My "worry" meter on assistants leaving is

1. Banks
2. Golesh
3. BJM

I think most the rest of the staff likes where they are and will be more than happy to stay here and continue being positional coaches. Pope is going to likely be very loyal to Heupel for giving him his shot and elevating him, and if he stays with Heupel I could see him elevating within rather than leave to go somewhere else, but I think he'll put in a few years at WR coach before looking into becoming an OC.

I say Banks because he was being floated for some HC vacancies last year. I think if Campbell leaves Iowa State that Alex might be very desirable up there.

The only problem with thinking that position coaches are happy to stay with Heup and be position coaches is everyone who has ever been a coordinator or HC was at one time a position coach and coaching for the HC that gave them their start.

Reactions: TurnoverTrashCan
I would move Banks down the list. The narrative that we suck defensively has become widespread, and I would guess a lot of ADs probably feel like he would be a tough sell to their fans, at this point.

In a couple of years, though…

Well I think Banks is willing to take a HC job outside the P5. Another reason I still have him where I do. I think anyone that looks at the actual numbers (per play specifically) and looks at the roster they will be pretty impressed with what Banks is doing in year 2 here. But I don't disagree that the narrative on our defense could also be bad enough to turn some ADs away.

ok where was the uproar when a va tech player leveled an old dominion fan after the game on the field this year, where was the uproar when a Texas tech fan shoved a Texas player on the field after the game this year.....crickets...fandom.
Was the Old Dominion fan a female? And that Texas player could have shoved him right back with a whole group of buddies right behind him. Not even close to the same.

247 guys talking about how loud the stadium was and the earthquake it created

Wes said that it was so loud that the press box started to shake. It's not rare for A&M or some of the Florida stadiums because they're sitting on sand-based soil. Very rare for Neyland Stadium in East tn. Wes said the press box moved at several different points during the 4th quarter.

Other games that were in the realm of Neyland Stadium on Saturday:

Georgia blocked punt returned for TD in 2013

Oklahoma game in 2015

1998 Florida

2001 Georgia when Travis Stephens scored on a screen pass

1999 auburn on the first play of the game, pick 6 - Cole cubelic still refers to this as the loudest moment/stadium he has ever witnessed

2006 Cal and 2004 Florida just outside their top 5

The long Hyatt TD later in the game was the moment that the press box started shaking like crazy. Ben said he got scared 😆

They all agreed that those were just moments though, and Saturday was sustained chais for the whole game. Multiple moments of the stadium exploding.
tenor.gif

So yeah

We're gonna need you at that Georgia game
I’ll be there! We’re going to Jacksonville (Ga v Fl) in the RV then we’ll make our way to Athens. I’ll be the lone Vol among our Dawg friends but I’ll be loud and proud! (Our seats are in the Tennessee section so at least I’ll be around Vols during the game!) 😉

The only problem with thinking that position coaches are happy to stay with Heup and be position coaches is everyone who has ever been a coordinator or HC was at one time a position coach and coaching for the HC that gave them their start.

I agree, but if ya look at the guys here most aren't spring chickens. Really don't think RG, Willie, Elarbee, or Ekeler have any interest in being Head Coaches or coordinators. Even Mack has been down that road before and is now back to just being a position coach. And Halzle only returned to coaching specifically to work for Josh Heupel.

But I understand that thought process. I guess I just think based on age and career path the more likely guys are the 3 I mentioned. I'd also probably put Mack in there, but I feel like he could still be a HC or OC if he wanted to so not sure his level of desire to do it is at.

So was.Bobby Wagner wrong for tackling the protestor during the Rams game a few weeks ago? In no way am i defending Burton here...Just wondering where everyone stands on this with instances that do not involve fandom
You’re suggesting we would be okay with a Tennessee player striking a female fan that stormed through field with good intentions????

ok where was the uproar when a va tech player leveled an old dominion fan after the game on the field this year, where was the uproar when a Texas tech fan shoved a Texas player on the field after the game this year.....crickets...fandom.
It's up to those fanbases to make their voices heard. Of course we're gonna speak up when a fellow Vol fan, especially a female one, gets hit by a Bama player simply because he's pissed his team lost. It's wrong.

My "worry" meter on assistants leaving is

1. Banks
2. Golesh
3. BJM

I think most the rest of the staff likes where they are and will be more than happy to stay here and continue being positional coaches. Pope is going to likely be very loyal to Heupel for giving him his shot and elevating him, and if he stays with Heupel I could see him elevating within rather than leave to go somewhere else, but I think he'll put in a few years at WR coach before looking into becoming an OC.

I say Banks because he was being floated for some HC vacancies last year. I think if Campbell leaves Iowa State that Alex might be very desirable up there.
IF Golesh were to leave, I think Halzle gets promoted to OC. I don't think BJM will make a lateral move. He only leaves if it's to become a DC. And if Banks leaves, I think it very possible BJM could get promoted to DC. But coaching turnover is an unfortunate consequence of success. I trust Heupel to find replacements when needed.

I want to see this guy's comments after we beat them 49-17. He will definitely implode on a massive level.
We HAVE to beat them....that game makes me really nervous because of our defense sucking so bad last year and it being right before UGA.

If we show up focused and angry, we destroy them, but if the guys don't take that game seriously we could lose...and at this point that would be really bad for a ton of great reasons.

We need to send Kentucky and their coach back to the CFB basement permanently...I want to beat them so horrifically that Stoops finally bolts for whatever job will take him...howeverI don't think he will ever leave on his own because Kentucky has massively enriched him, but if we lay beatdown after beatdown on him then maybe the delusionals will start getting really restless and tear his program apart.

Forget UGA..for now...obliterate Kensucky.

It's up to those fanbases to make their voices heard. Of course we're gonna speak up when a fellow Vol fan, especially a female one, gets hit by a Bama player simply because he's pissed his team lost. It's wrong.
Obviously, those fan bases do not compare with Volnation.

What also baffles me...teams aren't really generating great pressure on us either.

So some how they aren't getting to Hendon but also our WRs are running open. Like where are their players at?!?!
It's the offense. Mainly the wide splits. The wide splits do at least a couple of things. They force the defense to declare itself. The LBs have to declare whether they are going to be in the box for run/pass rush, or out wide to cover the receivers.

If they declare as in the box for run or blitz, the QB and line know it and can pick up appropriately. They also have defenders on an island and 1x1 against our WRs. The safeties also have to declare whether they're covering wide, and which side. Someone is alone on an island, and usually flat footed.

If they declare out in coverage, we run it down their throat.

Also, per pressure. They do get pressure. The pocket does collapse around Hooker a fair bit. He's just so good at moving around in the pocket that you don't notice how dirty the pocket gets sometimes.

Nobody...nobody..especially stupid UCF fans...ever looks at UCFs 2019 and especially the 2020 record objectively. It takes too much effort to see past the easy numbers 10-3 and 6-4 and REALLY study those seasons.

When Heupel was first hired, as soon as we got the news I did just a little digging and saw the truth....IF you give Heupel SEC talent, he is going to put massive amounts of offense up, I knew that if he could just build a decent defensive staff here that it would start to turn around in a few years.

I did not know that he could take the players he inherited and do THIS...THIS..objectively makes zero sense.

THIS is what I thought COULD happen once he had a real SEC QB, and real SEC WRs, and a real SEC OL.

He and his staff have taken leftovers and made a gourmet meal. He has taken a VT cast-off and molded him into a true Heisman contender, he has taken a less than mediocre WR corp and produced MULTIPLE Biletnikoff candidates, he has taken a garbage OL and molded it into one of the best and most reliable OLs in CFB.

That doesn't make any sense...at all...none.

And now this is the obvious objective truth to anybody that really pays attention..if this guy can just build a better than average defense...he will win championships at Tennessee.

If we can routinely bring in top 10 classes, especially top 5 classes, we WILL win a national title this decade. At least 2 SEC titles, probably more. With the playoff expanding, we will be a mainstay as soon as they open that up.

I agree, this is beyond my wildest dreams of what we could have hoped to accomplish this season. Loving every minute of it.

True, but it's not unreasonable to believe they only leave for promotions. They all seem to like it here.

It's elite coaching and development. That's something we haven't seen in our football program in a long time.

I know what you mean. Still feels like a dream right now. We had the false hope during the Butch years in 2015-16, but that entire time, it felt like we had elite talent making miracles happen out of terrible coaching and play calling.
That is a perfect summation of the Botch years. I often wonder how many points Heupel would have scored with those rosters...and how many games he would have won with those rosters.

Was in Tampa on business and flew home yesterday--- was sporting my White half-zip with a big orange T on the side... Folks, I tell you that I had AT LEAST 16 different people commented positively about UT and the game when seeing my pullover... From a guy in the elevator, to both TSA-Precheck guys, to random people, to Delta ticket agent AND Delta gate agent (ticket agent said I was her favorite customer for the day because she was a UT fan and born/raised in Chattanooga), Delta crew, the lady sitting next to me was from ATL but has a sophomore daughter attending UT and showed me a pic of her and her friends on the field after the game--- A guy at the gate said "Awesome game, so glad you whipped them, it could have been worse LOL, I'm a Michigan grad and I can tell you that we don't want any part of playing you guys, you are on fire and your offense would hang more on us than you did bama"......:oops:

The point is, It was about 50/50 that were either UT fans, or were so happy that we whipped bama cause they were tired of them winning. I think so many people out there just wanted to see someone get the better of bama, and glad we were the one's to take them down a notch...

That is a perfect summation of the Botch years. I often wonder how many points Heupel would have scored with those rosters...and how many games he would have won with those rosters.

I agree--- we have a lot of talent in the backfield, O line, and WR, but some of those players Butch had, we would have been in the playoff under Heup's schemes... Also, with a much better defense... Can you EVEN imagine if Heup and this staff had Kamara??

I’ll be there! We’re going to Jacksonville (Ga v Fl) in the RV then we’ll make our way to Athens. I’ll be the lone Vol among our Dawg friends but I’ll be loud and proud! (Our seats are in the Tennessee section so at least I’ll be around Vols during the game!) 😉
Lil exlax in the chili would be doing your part as a VFL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back