Recruiting Forum Football Talk V

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m a geography nerd. I’ve always been fascinated by people who manage to make lives in isolation in the arctic circles. But it’s more of a hobby, I’ve never studied geography in any sort of sanctioned sense. My degree is in history and a polisci minor.

And let's face it, the ancient Scandinavian languages spoken in Iceland and Greenland are just plain fun! So many letters...

And let's face it, the ancient Scandinavian languages spoken in Iceland and Greenland are just plain fun! So many letters...
Iceland is especially interesting. Greenland has Denmark’s influence to kind of degrade their languages over time. Iceland, though, has been so isolated and independent for so long that they now have the oldest unmodified language on earth.

Inuits in the US and Canada actually have similar languages, at least as far as it’s strangeness in English spelling. Alaska has renamed many easy to remember things back to Inuit names. Even for me, that has become confusing. I still call it Mt. McKinley and Barrow lol

We go every 3 summers or so out there to camp. We want to start doing the Utah circuit of National Parks but it’s hard to get away from northwest Wyoming.
In 20 we did a circuit of SW Colorado and Southern Utah. We hit all the Utah NPs except Zion, plus we visited Great Sand Dunes and Mesa Verde. We also did several of the famous Utah State Parks....Kodachrome Basin, Dead Horse Point and Goblin Valley, and drove the beautiful famous Utah State Hwy 12 between Bryce and Capitol Reef.

We also drove three famous scenic byways in Colorado, two through the San Juans..the Silver Thread Scenic Byway, and the complete San Juan Scenic Byway loop (includes the famous "Million Dollar Highway" section), and we also drove the Highway of Legends Scenic Byway through the Spanish Peaks area.

We camped out in the Rockies twice as we driving the Scenic Byways through the National Forests...that was extremely awesome.

All that to say...you will love that area as much (well almost as much) as Greater Yellowstone...so make a plan and do it 😁

Year 2 of Heupel’s tenure..8-1 after nine games with wins over UF, Bama, and LSU..No 5 in CFP..Hooker is a Heisman candidate..explosive offense(exclude UGA game..Natty is within striking distance..Not sure what the problem is..Recruiting will work itself..

One game at a time!
🎉🙌🏈🍊🧡

Joy, contentment and optimism are tools of the devil! We must find something to attach our negative outlook on.

Iceland is especially interesting. Greenland has Denmark’s influence to kind of degrade their languages over time. Iceland, though, has been so isolated and independent for so long that they now have the oldest unmodified language on earth.

Inuits in the US and Canada actually have similar languages, at least as far as it’s strangeness in English spelling. Alaska has renamed many easy to remember things back to Inuit names. Even for me, that has become confusing. I still call it Mt. McKinley and Barrow lol

My son lived in Iceland for 6 months and we were fortunate to visit for a week. Iceland is really a study in contrasts. As you said, Icelandic is ancient Danish due to isolation, but they speak English about as well as Americans. While many Europeans speak great English but hate doing so, you would hear Icelanders speaking English to each other more often than Icelandic. Unique place.

Last edited:
Well, technically, it's a parabolic profile both sideline-to-sideline and also enzone-to-endzone.

center-field-slope.jpg

A true crown is like a roadway as shown...
StandardDesignCrossSection-1600x918.jpg

I know, I know...

giphy.gif

Speaking of parabolic profiles, back in the late 80’s I played football games at Austin Peay’s stadium whenever we played Clarksville teams. To this day I remember the crown on that field being so steep that I’d stumble if I ran pass patterns across the middle. Shew

That first statement is not really fair...no one with any sense seriously predicted or even could have predicted this season. I have never seen anything like this..."logically" it should not even be happening...yet it is.
Completely fair. When you consider it was in response to PROJECTIONS for next year based on talent level. I (think I) see your point but reject that line of thinking. We've underestimated the talent level on this roster and that carries over to our current commits and eventual signing list...jmo.

After this season, we need a Cheyenne Labruzza podcast with various guests from 2017-2022. I bet he has got some stories through these three staffs.

He's been a mainstay in the program. You don't see his name a lot, but you kind of do. He's just there, playing his part, like a consigliere.

The Consigliere is actually a good nickname for him.

My son lived in Iceland for 6 months and we were fortunate to visit for a week. Iceland is really a study in contrasts. As you said, Icelandic is ancient Danish due to isolation, but they speak English about as well as Americans. While many Europeans speak great English but hate doing do, you would hear Icelanders speaking English to each other more often than Icelandic. Unique place.

Old English and Old Norse were probably mutually intelligible (or at least close enough that it didn't take a ton of expertise for Vikings and the English to understand one another). My guess would be that old Danish retains a ton in common with Old English and some key words Modern English. Also, Iceland while listed as European is technically both European AND North American in terms of location so they're kinda odd out of the gate but they definitely needed a strong English speaking tradtion given their history and location.

Just get Hobbs and Ramil and the class is an A. I'd like to have another elite receiver and an elite RB, but this will be a great class if we finish with those 2. Normally that would have been a top 10 class, but the points for this year are out of control.
The portal. It’s gonna be big for us.

Pate mentioned recently about the insanity that is about to ensue with the transfer portal. Coaches have personally told him they will lose 40% of the roster to grads and transfers. They've said it will be unlike anything college ball has ever seen.

Expect Tennessee to be on the receiving end of this chaos. We will eat.
I bet that’s a big reason why we’re not going hard for more than a few HS recruits to finish this class. They’re going to take many portal transfers, several starters is my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back